Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brian159

How Bad Does Your Acne Have To Be To Go On Accutane?

I've Had Acne for about a year and a half now and its been getting worse and worse for about 3 months now ive got alot of yellow heads and quite a lot of big pustules. ive tried anti-biotics and BP with limited success and reading through some stories i would really like to give accutane ago but im not sure about askin my Dr and he may just think im being silly (that makes me sound more silly???) so i was just wondering what you guys and girls thought? help?

And also how bad was your acne when you first went on accutane???

Click on my signature to see my Post-Accutane log. It has pictures of how I am now, and how bad I was back then. I've had acne for more than 5 years, and lately it just got so bad I decided to finally get on accutane. Acne came and went in waves. But the last wave was real bad.

At first I was afraid of the side effects, but now that I'm done with my course, I wish I had done this alot earlier, because now I have some scarring it would seem. (Though I'll reevaluate the situation once my red marks clear up)

You don't need to have very bad acne to get on accutane. There are derms who give the stuff to just about anyone. My derm wouldn't have given it to someone with mild acne, but there are derms who will.

You can always try, worst you can get is a "No".

it has to be really severe for a derm to prescribe it right away (as in: before any other treatments are tried)

it has to still be pretty bad to have it be described after a year and a half of treatments.

I had moderate acne for 5 years and numerous treatments (4 cycles o antibiotics and many lany topicals) before my derm put me on accutane;

but, these days derms are (unfortunately! because it's such a strong drug and should only be taken when really necessary) a lot faster to prescribe accutane...

My GP wouldnt prescribe it to me so i went straight to a dermatologist who put me on it straight away, my skin, my body, my choice :) My acne is very mild compared with most on this forum (i think i counted 3 small pimples this morning) which is why my GP wouldnt prescribe it to me but its constant as in doxy and topicals wont clear it up for good. Im hoping accutane will :)

At the end of the day if youve tried other things and they dont work, call in the big guns aka accutane (so long as you dont have liver/cholesterol probs).