Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have been suffering from mild acne for the past couple of years, but it hasnt been until now that is has really gotten to me. As a person who care wayyy to much about appearance, I put a lot of emphasis on my skin. College is about to start again, and I'm somewhat dreading it. My friends and I like to go to the bars and clubs, but I always am thinking about how my skin looks. I always seem to compare my skin to others, which usually ends in my feeling much worse. I feel incredibly nervous and self-conscious when I'm talking with people and find myself doing whatever it takes to cover my acne on my face.

A couple months ago I got a job in retail where trying to look good is half the job. That put even more pressure on me and made me a lot more self-conscious about my skin. I sometimes have trouble going up to customers to see if they need help with anything because I am too embarassed because I dont think my skin is clear. All I do is worry about how my acne makes me look, which usually ends up with me leaving early because I can't bear the amount of embarassment/ugliness I feel.

It seems like I have no one to talk to either. My parents wouldn't understand...all they do is say "oh, son...you dont have acne"...but if they only knew how my skin made me feel/act. I cant talk to my friends because I'm afraid they would think its gross. I just keep it all bottled up inside me and no one knows how incredibly self-conscious I am.

If anyone has any tips/advice, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Chris

i feel the EXACT same way. it really sucks.

i wish i could hang out with you, instead of all my clear skinned friends :P

I was in a similar situation as you.

Working in retail with acne was a horrible experience for me. I was so glad when I quit... I couldn't stand to be around perfect looking clear-skinned people, let alone be employed to represent a fashionable store with my face looking like shit.

This isn't going to come off as pleasant advice and I apologize beforehand but is there any way you can leave your job? I'm so much better at my new job now even though I do still get self conscious now and then, but at least looking good is not part of my job description! You're in college so it shouldn't be too hard to get a good job that's NOT retail..leave that for the high school kids :P

Anyways, I wish you best of luck and if you ever need to talk/rant etc. just PM me because I understand what it's like to be in your situation...

Take care, Chris!