Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted

Forgive me if you have heard this before, but I have been working on red marks for years and have tried lots of stuff and I only just heard about this home remedy for hyperpigmentation, red marks or dark spots:

Garbanzo beans (aka Chick Peas)!

That is it! And it really helps (for me anyway).

I get them in a can in the natural foods section so they don't have anything in them but water; you can get them in bulk and cook them too.

1. Pinch off the skins with your fingers, they slip off easily.

2. Then just mash them up - and add water or aloe vera to make paste.

I use the back of an ice cream scoop in a small bowl to really mash them well. They are a bit dry that is why you need to add water to make a paste.

I like to add food grade aloe vera gel (or aloe vera juice) which is also good for the skin. The Aloe Vera juice or food grade gel is in health food stores or natural food sections of big grocery stores.

3. Put the mash on your spots and let it dry like a mask.

Do it as often as you want, it doesn't seem to dry the skin or irritate it. I have been doing it for a few days and it seems to be working great.

I use regular glycolic topicals and lots of other great products for my skin, but this is a nice boost to fading those red marks, I am impressed and had to share it becasue it is so easy and cheap too!

Posted

i have never heard of those kinds of beans but i will definantly check them out!

Posted

Garbanzo beans (chick peas) are the main ingredient in hummus (middle eastern food).

Posted

I've never heard of this, but as you said, it sounds cheap and easy, so I'm going to try it.

Do you have any idea why/how it works?

Posted

I don't know why it works. But it is likely the zinc and the acids it contains.

I got this from a website about nutritional content. Apparently the acidity of the Garbanzo can irritate some peoples systems when eaten. Cooking is supposed to reduce the acids in the bean.

Chick-pea contains 13 percent to 33 percent protein, 40 percent to 55 percent carbohydrate, and 4 percent to 10 percent oil; fatty acid composition varies with chick-pea type but is approximately 50 percent oleic and 40 percent linoleic. It is also an excellent source of folate, vitamins B6 and C, and zinc.

It is apparently an old home remedy from the middle east and Israel. This was especially interesting to me as I have darker (mediterranean ancestry) skin.

I have begun taking the beans (skins and all) and just blending them with the aloe vera gel in my hand bleender. I have to do a larger quantity but I keep it in a little air tight container in the fridge. It is easier and then I always have it ready. It also makes a really nice paste as it is blended better this way.

Best of luck, I hope this works for some of you!

Posted
I don't know why it works. But it is likely the zinc and the acids it contains.

I got this from a website about nutritional content. Apparently the acidity of the Garbanzo can irritate some peoples systems when eaten. Cooking is supposed to reduce the acids in the bean.

Chick-pea contains 13 percent to 33 percent protein, 40 percent to 55 percent carbohydrate, and 4 percent to 10 percent oil; fatty acid composition varies with chick-pea type but is approximately 50 percent oleic and 40 percent linoleic. It is also an excellent source of folate, vitamins B6 and C, and zinc.

It is apparently an old home remedy from the middle east and Israel. This was especially interesting to me as I have darker (mediterranean ancestry) skin.

I have begun taking the beans (skins and all) and just blending them with the aloe vera gel in my hand bleender. I have to do a larger quantity but I keep it in a little air tight container in the fridge. It is easier and then I always have it ready. It also makes a really nice paste as it is blended better this way.

Best of luck, I hope this works for some of you!

Posted

blahblah,

I am a big mix of lots of things.

My dad is from the carribean (mostly southern french, but several generations in the carribean and brazil). We only know some about his ancestry. We know about mediterranean french and basque. We know about african (not much known about it except a picture of my great, great grandmother). We know about some native Caribe and we think some east Indian as well.

My mom is mostly irish, with a bit of english and german mixed in there a way back. I am a typical 'genetic soup' american! I have med-light olive skin much like my dad but a lot more gold-yellow than he is. He is what I call "nut brown" in color. People always think I am latina, spanish or italian. I definately look european.

PIH (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation) is a much worse problem for me than the actual breakouts. I get PIH that would be expected from people who are a bit darker than I am, but that is just how my skin is I guess. Other people in my immediate family don't seem to have any skin problems, but we are all a bit on the oily side.

Lately my skin has looked so nice, but that almost makes the red marks look more noticeable because the rest of it looks flawless (can't exactly complain about that).

If you get bumps and blackheads and some cystic pimples you should try this stuff I found called SkinAid - it is amazing! Go to: skinremedy.com and check it out. It is so great!

Posted

updates?

Posted

It works well for me still.

I am doing it a few times a week now.

I have incorporated an Azelaic acid into my treatment (just arrived yesterday) and that is great too, I can tell already.

I get almost all of my skin care from Corrective Skin Care and have for a year or two now.

They mix Glycolic and Azelaic acids custom for your needs.

I have been using a great Glycolic mix with SA from them.

You can read about their "Skinercise" program of switching acids for your skin periodically.

You can email them and tell them what your problems are and what you have used/tolerated or not in the past and they will help you pick what to order.

I like the chick pea mask because it isn't too strong to be added to other skin care. I just like it as a spot treatment mask though, as it seems to lighten everything a bit, not just the hyperpigmentation.

Posted

As I said before I'm going to try this...if it doesn't work I can always add garlic and lemon juice and eat it as hommus dip.

So, I bought the can of chick peas (in water from the natural food section).

When I got home I spent the next 1/2 hour getting the skins off them (oh so tiresome!), then another 20 or so minutes mashing them (urgh, even more tiresome...this better be worth it!).

I applied the 'mask' and whilst waiting for the it to dry I had bits of chick pea falling off my face left, right and centre (I should have a dog, at least he woulda been licking up the bit falling off my face).

The next day I put the mixture in the blender with a little water to thin and smooth it.

I then applied the mask again and waited for it to dry (no flaky bits this time).

Well, 4 days later, I believe there is an improvement with my red marks.

Thanks for the messy but effective tip VPM!