Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wynne

Everyday Minerals Cult

First about the color choices - for a long while I thought I could wear almost any of the neutral or warm shades of the ultra fair colors of EM. Then one day when I was out in the glaring snow on a bright sunny day the difference in color became apparent. Anything neutral looked pink and lifeless on me - anything yellow toned looked healthy and less made up because it matched me better. I know you can't duplicate the snowy day / bright sun deal - but try to check it out in as bright of light as you can and you might just see a difference in your choices too. I was shocked, really.

I also had the same problem with picking out the right color. I wasn't sure if I was warm or cool, so I picked fair, sandy fair and fair neutral. Fair and Sandy Fair seemed so similar in the bathroom in the morning. I thought I was nuts because I just didn't see a big difference until I caught a glimpse of myself outside in the car mirror and the fair shade showed off my redness more and just didn't look as flawless as the other two. Now I mix Fair Neutral - Intensive and Sandy Fair - Intensive and that looks the best. Its best to look at your make up in natural light.

Thanks LM_06 and Jillian_G - bright outside light it is! Which will be a little tricky, as I'm really rushed in the morning, and by the time I get home from work it's dark out. So hopefully I'll feel motivated enough to put some on in the morning and go check it out outside - ideally with enough time that I can wash my face if I do find whatever color I'm trying looks terrible in the natural light! And it's certainly still snowy-season here, so I'll have to remember to check out my makeup outside in particular if there's a very snowy/bright day :)

Matt vs Intensive. Whichever you choose, know that there will be a mild difference in color between, say, a sandy fair matt vs sandy fair intensive. Not enough to ruin it - but just a tad diff.

I like the intensive for more than just the heavier coverage - to me it looks more natural. Not sure why. But the Matt is supposed to be lighter in coverage so you may prefer it for looking less made up.

Brushes - I've recently started using my large powder brush to apply my EM Intensive foundation because it gives me a lighter look - less coverage than I was getting from my kabuki style brush. I don't use any of the EM brushes, however. Sorry I can't tell you more on that.

Ah yes... I had noticed the slight color difference between intensive/matte just looking at the little jars... will keep this in mind as I compare. The Intensive does seem like the clear favorite here, but I'll give the matte a good try just in case. And I'll keep using the flat kabuki for now, but keep in mind the idea of a different brush....

I had a particularly good makeup application yesterday... smooth and blended and not at all noticeable.... it's just occurring to me that it may have been partly-due to the smooth Clinique moisturizing gel I used..... this is too pricey for me to use everyday, but I have a little travel-size tube (that was a gift) that I keep in my suitcase, so it's what I just happened to use yesterday... if it was that moisturizer that made a big difference (as a "primer" rather than my regular moisturizer), I'm going to have a conflict as I don't really want to buy the Clinique kind regularly! We shall see... The other possibility is I was just in different lighting yesterday so the makeup may have just *looked* smoother even if it wasn't necessarily - I'm hoping that was actually the case! :)

Silver Star - Yes, moisturizing is important. It helps to have as smooth a canvas as possible before applying MMU.

I prefer the Matte formula. To me, it's a little lighter looking and more translucent than the Intensive, and it does the best to keep me from looking shiny.

I also am more concerned with my makeup looking natural rather than trying to completely hide every tiny mark. I think we tend to notice flaws on ourselves way more than other people do.

I recently got the new EM flat top and I really love it. I don't feel like the coverage I'm getting is too much - because I still just use a tiny amount of foundation - but it just buffs it in much better... which makes the makeup look much more natural IMO.

Good luck to you MMU newbies. There is definitely a bit of a learning curve... but it's so worth it. :)

Oh, and by the way, the new long handle kabuki brush is sold out and not expected to be back in stock until some time in March. Carina said they had half a years worth, but I guess it sold out much quicker than they anticipated.

I just ordered the free sample and I'm looking forward to seeing if the colours I picked match?

Geez, there's a huge range of colours, it's almost confusing :wall:

Is my colouring like Cameron Diaz? or Heather Locklear? or Reese Witherspoon?

Guess I will have to wait and see?

How did you guys choose the first time?

Whoa. I have been moved to the EM fanatics. I just got my full kit yesterday..and to anyone out there who has the samples, and "kind of likes it, but is unsure"(which is what I was, but I decided to get a full kit anyways)...just go for it..and use the flat top brush or the kabuki brush...it made a WORLD of difference. My skin has never looked or felt so good with makeup on. Whoa. haha thats all I have to say.

I just ordered the free sample and I'm looking forward to seeing if the colours I picked match?

Geez, there's a huge range of colours, it's almost confusing :wall:

Is my colouring like Cameron Diaz? or Heather Locklear? or Reese Witherspoon?

Guess I will have to wait and see?

Mine was just a wild guess. Luckily I know I'm olive-skinned, so I tried one of the olive colors (of which there are only a few), and I got pretty close with golden medium. On my next order I tried light olive, and knew I'd hit the right one. Right now I'm so pale I could probably use Olive Fair, but my face matches my body better this way.

As for other colors, I chose multi-tasking concealer because I knew other people loved it, but now I've switched my devotion to Intensive Light Concealer. Blush-wise, I went with the sparkle bronzer, and have also had success with B&B and Evening Out (my current favorite).

Once you determine what foundation color works for you, it's easy to get the rest. There are a bunch of great reviews on makeupalley.com that you can use to help guide you. In fact, that's why I chose Evening Out. I would have never done it otherwise, it looked too dark and purpley, but makeupalley.com said it was good for olive skin. They were right!

Thanks LM_06 and Jillian_G - bright outside light it is! Which will be a little tricky, as I'm really rushed in the morning, and by the time I get home from work it's dark out. So hopefully I'll feel motivated enough to put some on in the morning and go check it out outside - ideally with enough time that I can wash my face if I do find whatever color I'm trying looks terrible in the natural light! And it's certainly still snowy-season here, so I'll have to remember to check out my makeup outside in particular if there's a very snowy/bright day :)

silver star, i just ordered a bunch of samples, and i don't know if this will help at all, but in my bathroom, i just took my concealer brush, loaded a bunch of each color on and applied it to my cheek at my jawline. the one that blended the most seamless for me was fawn, so then i applied to my whole face. to double check the color, bright, natural light is the way to go. like you, i'm rushed in the morning, indoors all day, and then don't get back home until near dark, but i just used my car mirror; then i knew fawn was my color. most other fair foundations look pink on me, and this blended perfectly.

on a different note, i got more samples yesterday (to try out different formulas and concealer colors.) holy crap sunlight concealer is soooo great! i had tried intensive fair with my last sample kit, and this was so much better in blending with fawn, and it really is great for under the eyes and for red marks too.

edit: awhile ago i couldn't figure out why my concealer and foundation wouldn't blend seamlessly. i figured it out. one thing with mmu is that while you do want to make sure and moisturize properly, you also want to make sure your moisturizer is properly absorbed and your skin is dry. duh, right? anyway, i use pretty heavy moisturizer, and i don't want to change, so to get around this, i just dust some silk powder on before i apply my foundation and it takes care of it.

Oh, and by the way, the new long handle kabuki brush is sold out and not expected to be back in stock until some time in March. Carina said they had half a years worth, but I guess it sold out much quicker than they anticipated.

Updated on site: the brush is now back-ordered until 8/10/08. If that's an accurate date, that is completely ridiculous.

Trial and error :D .

Updated on site: the brush is now back-ordered until 8/10/08. If that's an accurate date, that is completely ridiculous.

Darn it!

I got pics of me using Shopping Spree (Good China is my base.) Sorry the first one is kinda blurry.

Open: http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/Fay...pg?t=1202263403

Closed: http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/Fay...pg?t=1202263422

I used Shopping Spree as my eyeliner too, using the EDM eyeliner brush which rules my world.

Still have yet to wear In The Garden to take closed pic. I'll get those.

This is fun. >.> I need more shadows!

Have any of you used the EM "Foundation Brush" to apply your MMU? The kind that is generally thought of for liquid/cream makeup? They aren't carrying it anymore but someone has one on MUA and it has pretty good reviews there so I just wondered if you guys had any experience with it. And if you had/have one, is it synthetic fibers? Thanks!

Nice job Faydra Lune. Shopping Spree is really nice on you! :)

Jolian, i have EM's Smokey eyeliner, and Emerald eyeliner. I really like there eyeliners and use their Smokey eyeliner pretty much everyday. There Emerald one is really nice too. A matte dark green, which is lovely as an eyeliner.

I also use some of their e/s as eyeliners and their really lovely! Oasis is a really nice one; a gold colour with lots of shimmer.

I use bareminerals and i kinda like it..

eh i break out from every makeup i've tried

will EM harm my skin at all? im scared to try

I just dont wear foundation anymore

I think you should try out EM. This forum has lots of ladies who have had skin reactions to BE (because of the bismuth material they put in it for the shine) but have had no reactions to EM. I don't think I've heard of a case where there was a reaction to EM, but none with BE :) .

In the comments Carina repeated that the LHK will be back in during March, seeming to indicate the "8/10/08" date was a mistake. I checked on the brushes section, and now they have it marked at "5/10/08."

Breakoutbabe, I agree with Jolian. I think you should give EDM a try. A lot of people who break out from BE love EDM and have no problems with it.

Faydra, thank you for posting the pics! Very lovely!

All right, I haven't had a real chance to check out my foundation colors in bright natural light as it's been cloudy/rainy outside the past few days. I did check out the color in my car mirror on my way to work (since even cloudy outside light is still brighter than indoor light it seems!) and the Sandy Fair Intensive looks pretty good... I'd definitely like to check it out in brighter light though.

I'd also like to try out the matte version, but it does look a LOT lighter in the little jar... but the next shade up on the site looks MUCH darker. I'll give this shade a shot in the next couple days though and just see what happens!

On the EM site it looks like they've very recently gotten rid of the eyeliner and angled eyeshadow brushes! Hmmm..... are there new brushes coming soon perhaps?

The big thing I'm wondering about at this point is finishing powder... I think I may make an order with another sample kit, and a couple eyeshadows, and I would like to try a finishing powder at that point too. But do I want "Finishing Dust" or "Pure Silk Dust"?

From the site descriptions:

Finishing Dust - Finishing Dust sets your mineral makeup for a perfect flawless finish, as well as helping control oil and reducing shine. You will have that extra confidence in knowing our Finishing Dust adds just the finishing touch to your flawless complexion.

Pure Silk Dust - is a translucent powder that has 18 vital amino acids, and anti-bacterial properties, it controls oil and regulates moisture while giving your complexion a flawless finish.

Reading those, I have no real idea what the difference is... or rather, I have no idea which one is the one I'd want!

As I have pale skin I don't want anything that would add too much color (the tinted finishing dusts look like I should probably stay away from them!). I do have oily skin... both of these mention "controlling oil" and shine which sounds like a good thing for me. My main thought with these is to have something to put under my foundation, perhaps, as a "base" and to help control oil.... and/or something to put on top, to sort of put a smooth "finishing" touch on my face.

So what are your thoughts about these two products, and any idea what finishing powder may be the right one for me?

Thanks!

My EDM "Interview Look" (and I'm sitting on 2 offers, so it totally worked!)

Pure Silk Dust (old formula) applied with Long Handled Kabuki

Multi-Tasking Neutral Intensive applied with New Flat Top Brush

Multi-Tasking Concealer applied with tiny non-EM brush (great for blemishes & crevices)

Nick Nack Blush applied with old EM Blush Brush

Wild Flowers E/S in outer half of my eye crease (not lid or brow) applied with non-EM brush

Cozy Night Lip Gloss

Mascara (brownish black) not EM

Eyeliner (dark brown) just upper eyes, not EM

The theme of course was matte and put-together! :cool:

Have any of you used the EM "Foundation Brush" to apply your MMU? The kind that is generally thought of for liquid/cream makeup? They aren't carrying it anymore but someone has one on MUA and it has pretty good reviews there so I just wondered if you guys had any experience with it. And if you had/have one, is it synthetic fibers? Thanks!

I have it. It is synthetic and it's pretty much a giant version of the concealer brush. I wasn't sure how to use it at first either lol, but I bought it anyway because that's how addicted I am.

I use it now for applying foundation to areas my flat top might not have reached as much as other areas. Like on the sides of my nose and near my hairline and eyebrows. Areas where I might need just a little extra coverage, but are too large to make good use of the concealer brush. I haven't used it wet yet, but I think some other ladies do (Jai, I think? Maybe Wynn...)

And thanks for the compliments. :3 Any excuse to be a camera whore. ^_^

Faydra, your eyes are beautiful and the EDM really accentuates their beauty!

I use intensive wet sometimes, but I apply it with a concealer brush. Then I'll buff in the dry foundation over the wet foundation to blend.

Can anyone suggest a mosturizer that's good to wear under makeup for people with dry skin? Right now I'm using Nivea & it's not going too good :/

Cetaphil cream, or what I've been using since my face is extra dry due to Minocycline and Retin-A, is a drop of Aquaphor with aloe vera gel to thin it out. Aquaphor is pretty much vaseline, so normally too greasy and thick for daytime wear, but if you dilute it with aloe vera, it goes on very nice and smooth.

Hey guys,

Okay, you all are getting me interested in trying Everyday Minerals. I've read some of your posts and the product sounds worth trying. I've used BE and La Bella Donna in the past but found they made my face itch (probably the bismuth oxychloride) and the makeup looked a bit "shiney" or dewy as the day went on..... So here's a few questions, if I can get some tips.

1) I just got off Accutane and face is clear. I have a slightly oily t-zone but normal everywhere else. I'm 39 with a few lines (crow's feet) and laugh lines, but not major. I would like medium coverage, not dewy, but not chalky matte.... Should I get semi-matte or intensive?

2) Finishing powder to set - do you recommend to help set?

3) Primer? I have Laura Mercier if you think a primer helps hold it on better.

4) Color(s). I wear Laura Mercier Oil free in Warm Ivory (just slightly too dark but the next color down is too light). I used 1.2 BE fairly light previously (pretty good match). I'm a white gal, fair to light, neutral or slightly yellow undertones. What sample sizes should I order?

5) Does the makeup really last all day? No breakouts? Laura Mercier works well but I do get a bit t-zone oily by noon. I want to keep my skin clear now that I'm off Accutane.

Any other tips?? Read the flat brush is amazing. Will get that also....

Thanks all EM experts!!

Yvette

for those interested, i just checked out the site, and the backorder date for the long handled kabuki has been moved up to 5/1. Still a long way to wait but better than 8/10.

I've used BE and La Bella Donna in the past but found they made my face itch (probably the bismuth oxychloride) and the makeup looked a bit "shiney" or dewy as the day went on.

Those are the same problems I had with BE - itchy and shiny. I'm really liking EM.

I would like medium coverage, not dewy, but not chalky matte.... Should I get semi-matte or intensive?

I have been on two rounds of accutane but the last one was a couple years ago so I'm back to my regular oiliness. I wouldn't say I'm an oil slick but I definitely tend toward the oily side. I have used intensive and don't find it to be chalky at all. It covers very well but still doesn't really look like I'm even wearing "real" foundation. I can't say that I've tried the other formulas so I can't help with that but I do love intensive.

I used 1.2 BE fairly light previously (pretty good match). I'm a white gal, fair to light, neutral or slightly yellow undertones.

Well, I used to wear my own concoction of BE which was mostly #1 with a little #3 added in to darken it. I found #2 to be too yellow. EM seems fairly forgiving and I found a few that matched pretty well: Fair Neutral, Sandy Fair and Olive Fair but in the end I picked a mix of Sandy Fair and Olive Fair as the best. My SIL used to wear BE 1.2 and she just started using EM Sandy Fair. Hope that helps!

Does the makeup really last all day? No breakouts?

Any other tips?? Read the flat brush is amazing. Will get that also....

It lasts all day for me. One day I was out of town visiting my SIL (a different one) and put it on in the morning, spent the day getting POURED on in San Fran and at 10pm I was amazed at how good my skin still looked (as far as my acne still being covered). It definitely hasn't broken me out because I was breaking out pretty bad when I came to this forum which is how I discovered EM.

Also, yes, I really like the flat top brush. I just like the coverage but as I said, I still don't think it looks heavy at all. I would just rather get it on faster. And as you might have seen the LH Kabuki is out of stock for awhile.

... But do I want "Finishing Dust" or "Pure Silk Dust"?...

...So what are your thoughts about these two products, and any idea what finishing powder may be the right one for me?

To me, it seems like Pure Silk Dust is like the Finishing Dust with extra bells and whistles. A few of the ladies here have complained about the texture of the Pure Silk Dust (described as being way too "grainy"). Finishing Dust, on the other hand, has pretty good reviews on MakeUpAlley and goes on translucently.