Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wynne

Everyday Minerals Cult

just curious..... i've used em in the past (although i use bm now,) but i just checked out the em website and noticed they now sell pressed powder! i was wondering if anyone has used it yet. i'd be interested in trying it. one thing i hate about mineral make-up is that it can be messy to apply.

I had the worst experience with their pressed powder :lol:

I bought it to carry in my purse, and the flimsy packaging came open in my purse and it crumbled everywhere and ruined my purse and some of the contents. I was bitching about it for a week...

If you don't plan on carrying it with you, it probably would be fine though. The powder itself is pretty nice. It has jojoba in it and may be good for those with dry skin, or even combo dry/oily skin. I never used it as a foundation, so I can't say how the coverage compares, but it's not just a light compact powder, it is definitely a foundation powder.

My only peeve is that the flat top kabuki takes a while to dry after I clean it...

I noticed this too. My kabuki took over two days to dry, whereas the natural hair brushes dried in about 12 hours.

Exactly! 1 day for the normal kabuki, and the flat top 2!

But, thats why I keep my natural as a backup :)

Would using a hair dryer on a low setting help shorten the drying time (and be safe)? I haven't tried washing my flat top yet but now I'm worried because I don't have a backup!

just curious..... i've used em in the past (although i use bm now,) but i just checked out the em website and noticed they now sell pressed powder! i was wondering if anyone has used it yet. i'd be interested in trying it. one thing i hate about mineral make-up is that it can be messy to apply.

I had the worst experience with their pressed powder :lol:

I bought it to carry in my purse, and the flimsy packaging came open in my purse and it crumbled everywhere and ruined my purse and some of the contents. I was bitching about it for a week...

If you don't plan on carrying it with you, it probably would be fine though. The powder itself is pretty nice. It has jojoba in it and may be good for those with dry skin, or even combo dry/oily skin. I never used it as a foundation, so I can't say how the coverage compares, but it's not just a light compact powder, it is definitely a foundation powder.

oh no!! i'm sorry! thanks for the reply. i have dry skin and don't do a lot of touch up, so i might check this out.

My only peeve is that the flat top kabuki takes a while to dry after I clean it...

I noticed this too. My kabuki took over two days to dry, whereas the natural hair brushes dried in about 12 hours.

Exactly! 1 day for the normal kabuki, and the flat top 2!

But, thats why I keep my natural as a backup :)

Would using a hair dryer on a low setting help shorten the drying time (and be safe)? I haven't tried washing my flat top yet but now I'm worried because I don't have a backup!

Lutya, you beat me to it! :D

My trick is to wash my brushes at night (b/c normally I'm running out the door in the morning), and lay them on a dry wash cloth overnight. Then the next morning when I need to use them, I blow-dry them on cool/gentle with my hair dryer. This generally gets them perfectly dry in under 5 minutes (flat top & kabuki).

I have tried it when they are soaking wet and this is not nearly as effective since it takes so much longer to dry them and it was burning my hands (it might have been a good idea to leave them on the wash cloth for the blow drying...meh).

:think: Not sure about that. I heard that with low setting on it could make the bristles fuzzy and if its too hot, it can actually melt the bristles. If the sun's out, maybe you can lay it outside, somewhere warm. :D

EDIT: Ladylol's reply is much helpful than mine. :D (Previous page)

Hi everyone. :) Thanks to the wonderful raves on this thread, I'm on my second sample kit. While I do LOVE (haha, what an understatement) how this looks and feels on my face, I'm still struggling with what colours would work (I'm new to make-up :redface: ).

I just have a question, does anybody know the difference between Light Olive and Fawn? I've ordered Light (Golden) but it was too dark, and Light Olive is listed under the same shade (third column?), so I'm not sure if that'll work. Fawn looks like it's the right shade, but the colour doesn't really match 100%. Fair Olive's colour looked really close to mine, but it was just a touch too light. :( So I guess... do you think Light Olive would work for me if I can wear Fawn quite well (or is it too dark)?

:think: Not sure about that. I heard that with low setting on it could make the bristles fuzzy and if its too hot, it can actually melt the bristles. If the sun's out, maybe you can lay it outside, somewhere warm. :D

EDIT: Ladylol's reply is much helpful than mine. :D (Previous page)

Thanks 'tash :D ! I'm glad I didn't try blow drying the brushes at the soaking wet stage for more than a couple minutes... I would have been so sad if they had melted :shock: ! I guess its a good idea to blow dry the damp (not soaked!) brushes in your hand b/c if its mild enough for your hand, then its fine for the brushes. Also, if your blow dryer runs hot (and cool = not so cool), try waving it back and forth so its not one continuous blast of heat.

Hi everyone. :) Thanks to the wonderful raves on this thread, I'm on my second sample kit. While I do LOVE (haha, what an understatement) how this looks and feels on my face, I'm still struggling with what colours would work (I'm new to make-up :redface: ).

I just have a question, does anybody know the difference between Light Olive and Fawn? I've ordered Light (Golden) but it was too dark, and Light Olive is listed under the same shade (third column?), so I'm not sure if that'll work. Fawn looks like it's the right shade, but the colour doesn't really match 100%. Fair Olive's colour looked really close to mine, but it was just a touch too light. :( So I guess... do you think Light Olive would work for me if I can wear Fawn quite well (or is it too dark)?

You could try mixing the foundations on your face. Put on a light layer of fawn, then a light layer of fair olive, and the last layer of something like light golden.

If that works out then you can use the small sizes together in a mixing jar to get a decent amount of foundation.

I tried a ton of different shades and never found one that matches. I ended up adding 1/2 a large fairly light beige with 1 small fairly light neutral and 1 small fair olive. Thankfully they have those large mixing jars! In the winter I do two layers of that and 1 layer of fair neutral thinned with a finishing powder.

It can feel complicated, but it really isn't once you mix it all up.

I loovee their new kabuki brushes. :wub:

Their old kabuki shed on me like a nervous chihuahua!

The new ones are ultra soft. They never feel like they are scratching my face!

Also here's a tip for anyone having concealer problems.

Just like you don't put all your foundation on at once, you def. want to layer your concealer. I know it's like a broken record with us mineralites, but it's TRUE! :cool:

I put a thin layer of concealer on my problem spots before I even put my first layer of foundation. My process goes: light concealer, light foundation, concealer, foundation, tiny bit of concealer, finishing powder. A light touch will get you a more even skin tone.

Also, fresh air is a great slightly shimmery highlighter. I use it on my cheeks and jawline every day.

These are great tips, Prophetess! Thanks.... trying it tomorrow morning :)

Does anyone here have EM shadows and blue eyes? If so, which ones are great to make them pop, and which should I steer clear of? TIA!

okay, so i'm taking the plunge again.... i know it's going to take awhile for me to find the right color, but i'm going to try em again. i've been using bm, but i'll be honest, a goal this year is to pay off debt and start a savings, and em being half the price of bm.... well, i think it's worth trying to figure it out.

anyway, i ordered samples today. i was using the intensive formula last time, but because of my dry skin, i didn't really like the finish of it. i'm going to try the original glo formula this time (i know it doesn't get the greatest reviews, but i have really really dry skin) in sun-kissed fair, sandy fair, and fawn. wish me luck!

i noticed they have a full line of skin care now. has anyone tried anything from it?

okay, so i'm taking the plunge again.... i know it's going to take awhile for me to find the right color, but i'm going to try em again. i've been using bm, but i'll be honest, a goal this year is to pay off debt and start a savings, and em being half the price of bm.... well, i think it's worth trying to figure it out.

anyway, i ordered samples today. i was using the intensive formula last time, but because of my dry skin, i didn't really like the finish of it. i'm going to try the original glo formula this time (i know it doesn't get the greatest reviews, but i have really really dry skin) in sun-kissed fair, sandy fair, and fawn. wish me luck!

i noticed they have a full line of skin care now. has anyone tried anything from it?

I've tried the African Black Soap...I enjoyed it (nice smell, didn't dry my skin, gentle enough to use on the face - I didn't use it on my face regularly, but a few times, and it didn't feel overly drying), except it leaves a black "shadow" in the tub....washes off easily, but still....I feel like I have to tell people, "That black stain is soap, I swear!" :)

I've tried the African Black Soap...I enjoyed it (nice smell, didn't dry my skin, gentle enough to use on the face - I didn't use it on my face regularly, but a few times, and it didn't feel overly drying), except it leaves a black "shadow" in the tub....washes off easily, but still....I feel like I have to tell people, "That black stain is soap, I swear!" :)

thanks! actually, that's specifically what i was interested in. i've heard of african black soap before. since it's so inexpensive, i might give it a go. that's funny about the black shadowing. i use kiss my face olive oil soap for my body and get a green one now! :lol:

Query: What concealer would you suggest I use?

I have fair olive skin, and currently my foundation is Light Olive (well, I'm actually using a mixture of Silk Dust and Golden Medium, but Light Olive as a full coverage foundation is my closest match). I have the multi-tasking concealer, and while it works fine on small redmarks (I rarely get active acne now, but when I do the redmarks linger forever), it makes larger, redder ones just look muddy and dark.

For example, I have a nasty one right on the apple of my cheek (one of those "I think this pimple is coming to head, I'm gonna squeeze it, oh, look, it wasn't, now I just have a sore looking red spot"), and I could not for the life of me get it covered this morning. I actually reverted to my Maybelline pure.concealer stick, which I love for coverage, but haven't had to use since my acne meds cleared me up.

I've been thinking about the Sunlight Concealer, or the Intensive Light. Both look like they might blend with my slightly yellowy complexion better than multi-tasking. What do you think?

ok after much research I must say....IM JOING THE EM CULT!!! I just ordered my sample kit and cant wait for it to arrive! One question for any of you..how does EM compare to Bare Minerals...ive botten quite a bit of Bare Minerals??????? any + vs - on the two companies?? I really love how you can order samples first, BM does not have that option that i was aware of and the shades did not match my skin tone. :rolleyes:

do u know the differences between BM and EM any + or - on either??????....ive used BM before but just ordered the EM sample kit so im going to give it a try..THANKS

do u know the differences between BM and EM any + or - on either??????....ive used BM before but just ordered the EM sample kit so im going to give it a try..THANKS

IMO, there's major differences between BM and EM. first off, EM does not have any bismuth oxychloride in it - an ingredient that seems to wreak havoc on most of us around the org - makes the skin itchy and shiny - not good.

BM is way more expensive and the coverage isnt as good IMO as EM. i think there's a larger range of shades with EM and more diversity in their line of products. i much prefer EM over BM anyday...

it's been awhile since i used em..... i quit because i couldn't find a proper color match and started using a liquid that offered more coverage when i needed it. i've always liked the idea of mineral make-up, and when i started clearing up, i started using bm because i could walk into a store and buy it, and i could also check out the color selection in person.

i figure i have plenty of bm now to have time to figure out which em formula and color work best for me. if i can't find anything, i'll stick with bm. i have no problem with it, but em being half the price and a wider color selection, i thought i'd give it a shot.

IMO, there's major differences between BM and EM. first off, EM does not have any bismuth oxychloride in it - an ingredient that seems to wreak havoc on most of us around the org - makes the skin itchy and shiny - not good.

BM is way more expensive and the coverage isnt as good IMO as EM. i think there's a larger range of shades with EM and more diversity in their line of products. i much prefer EM over BM anyday...

i don't find any major differences other than price. the bismuth oxychloride doesn't make me itch, and it just actually gives me a dewy finish i kind of like (which is why i'm trying the original glo formula first.)

Query: What concealer would you suggest I use?

I have fair olive skin, and currently my foundation is Light Olive (well, I'm actually using a mixture of Silk Dust and Golden Medium, but Light Olive as a full coverage foundation is my closest match). I have the multi-tasking concealer, and while it works fine on small redmarks (I rarely get active acne now, but when I do the redmarks linger forever), it makes larger, redder ones just look muddy and dark.

For example, I have a nasty one right on the apple of my cheek (one of those "I think this pimple is coming to head, I'm gonna squeeze it, oh, look, it wasn't, now I just have a sore looking red spot"), and I could not for the life of me get it covered this morning. I actually reverted to my Maybelline pure.concealer stick, which I love for coverage, but haven't had to use since my acne meds cleared me up.

I've been thinking about the Sunlight Concealer, or the Intensive Light. Both look like they might blend with my slightly yellowy complexion better than multi-tasking. What do you think?

Hi there....we have exactly the same stuff here. My foundation is also light olive, have multi-tasking concealer and have sore red spot as well except mine is on my chin. I know this might sound weird but here is what I usually do.

I mix equal part light olive and multi-tasking with couple drop of water then apply the mix right on my red spot with concealer brush. Wait a few second to let it dry then lightly dust the area with thin layer of foundation follow by finishing powder.

Mineral concealer is much better for your skin than the stick one, IMO.

Oh, I agree, but it was the only way I could cover the damn thing that looked halfway decent. I did try mixing the concealers, layering them...all to no avail. I ordered a sample kit w/ the Intensive Light concealer...I hope it works.

Hi All,

Just had to share my odd discovery. I foolishly thought it was a good idea to thread my face this morning, rather than at bed time when I normally do. (Threading is hair removal - a tiny thread is used like an accordian and it rips out hairs). Well, duh, I turned about as red as you can imagine. Blotchy. Slightly puffy. Even my old scars (indents) colored up from the attack. Yuck. This was as good of a test as any for my EM Intensive - it covered it like a champ. No problems. I didn't use any concealer - just the intensive foundations. About 3 layers on the bad zones.

You could try mixing the foundations on your face. Put on a light layer of fawn, then a light layer of fair olive, and the last layer of something like light golden.

If that works out then you can use the small sizes together in a mixing jar to get a decent amount of foundation.

I tried a ton of different shades and never found one that matches. I ended up adding 1/2 a large fairly light beige with 1 small fairly light neutral and 1 small fair olive. Thankfully they have those large mixing jars! In the winter I do two layers of that and 1 layer of fair neutral thinned with a finishing powder.

It can feel complicated, but it really isn't once you mix it all up.

Thank you! That sounds like a good idea--I'll try it. :)

Intensive light is very yellow, but not so much that it's hard to blend. I use that concealer and I use the olive fair foundation. It works well to cover redness. I also like to apply the concealer damp, and I sort of "twist" it over a spot with my concealer brush, like mini buffing, haha. I follow with a light layer of foundation or silk dust to set it all.

It's also a good color for concealing under the eyes, but I prefer a cream concealer (Benefit Boi-ing, thanks to everyone why hyped it ;)) for a fresher look, cuz I don't need powder there to absorb oil.

I have both. Intensive Light is more like a cool, pale yellow. Sunlight Concealer is more of a deeper, warm yellow. I use Sunlight Concealer for my dark under eye circles, and Intensive Light for my pimples. It doesn't seem to work the other way around for me :think: .