Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wynne

Everyday Minerals Cult

Thanks a lot both of you :) I will try samples from now on till I find the right one. I will probably try Golden Medium (Olive), Light (Olive), and Winged Butter (Golden) as soon as I get paid, hopefully one of those works :) I'll e-mail them too, that's cool that they do that.

Oh, and another question: In the pictures of the foundations (the ones you click and then the bigger image of it comes up the the left), Light (Golden) looks darker than Winged Butter, is that actually the case? Or does Light look lighter on your face despite it looking darker on it's own? (Sorry if I sound like a dummy :))

Thanks a lot both of you :) I will try samples from now on till I find the right one. I will probably try Golden Medium (Olive), Light (Olive), and Winged Butter (Golden) as soon as I get paid, hopefully one of those works :) I'll e-mail them too, that's cool that they do that.

Oh, and another question: In the pictures of the foundations (the ones you click and then the bigger image of it comes up the the left), Light (Golden) looks darker than Winged Butter, is that actually the case? Or does Light look lighter on your face despite it looking darker on it's own? (Sorry if I sound like a dummy :))

Light (golden) is definitely lighter than winged butter (I've tried both). Unfortunately, colors on monitors vary a lot, so what you see on screen can be very inaccurate. I notice on mine it looks darker too, so the swatches are off I guess. It's almost better to go by the description. I notice they group the colors from light to dark also, so light is correctly set in front of winged butter as it is lighter in person.

Light (Golden) is definitely lighter than Winged Butter. Winged Butter has more yellow in it, so sometimes it looks a shade paler than Light (Golden). I hope that helps :) !

Crud :( I ordered EM for the first time and it arrived yesterday, I just ordered a full size foundation and concealer cuz I'm impatient (very) and I since it said the samples only last a couple of days, I wanted a full size one right off the bat, and just prayed I made a good enough choice. Anyway....I read their foundation guide thing, and decided on Buttered Tan in Original Glow and concealer in intensive meduim. Well, I tried it for the first time today. Based on how they looked in the containers, I thought the concealer would be too dark, and that the foundation would be just right. But I was wrong :( The foundation makes me look like...I went and got a tan :( It's like, 2 shades too dark on my face, but when I hold the container up to my face it's a totally lighter color. My skin is kinda dry at the moment cuz of BP, could this be affecting the way the color looks on my face??

I'm thinking of trying Winged Butter. I'm not really sure how to know what undertone I have :( I just know that my biggest problem with foundation is it either looking too pink or too orange on my face (or too dark haha). Buttered Tan is just too dark, it doesnt really make me look orange or pink.....I am full mexican, but most people always assume that one of my parents was white, so I guess I'm lighter? I'll try to take a pic so I can get better suggestions....I'd really appreciate any help, cuz I do like EM way better than BM and other mineral makeup I've tried. Help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :doh:

There's a swap thread here if you want to swap the foundation for something else. Although maybe it would work for you in the summer?

If you're going to order golden medium & light olive, I wouldn't get winged butter aswell. I did this, and both Olive shades work perfectly for me but winged butter is extremely yellow :/

I was lucky, cos just like you I ordered a full size kit before knowing my colour match but the foundation I ordered in full size was perfect x D

...I notice they group the colors from light to dark also, so light is correctly set in front of winged butter as it is lighter in person.

I think that's usually true, but I'm pretty sure Fawn is darker than Golden Fair even though they are listed in that order. (Unless Fawn just looked darker, when I did swatches on my arm, because it's more yellow - I'm not absolutely certain.) Just thought I'd mention that exception. Does anyone know of any others?

Thanks for all the advice! Actually, I mixed the medium intensive concealer with the buttered tan foundation and it's a pretty close match! Still a little too dark, I just did 1 part of each and tried, not perfect but it'll work for now. I still want to find my right shade, as mixing the two together is only gunna last so long (I got the tinny concealer hehe). Aiy, and I put it on without primer and it looked all blotchy/spotty (it seemed as though some parts of my skin were allowing EM to stick and other parts weren't, so weird). I'm pretty sure I applied it right, I've been using minerals for a while.) I figure it's cuz of the BP dryness. So I used my Bare Escentuals primer, and I think it's breaking me out :( Has anyone else used their primer and had a problem?

The EM looks gooooooood though (with the primer) :) Though I still have acne, cuz I've only been on the Dan's Regimen for about a week, there are certain spots of my skin where after applying EM I'm like "Ohhh look I have nice skin right there" lol The concealer covers well for me, btw <3 Much better than BE's concealer, which covered no more than the regular foundation.

Anybody have suggestions on what sample to try besides winged butter then? I will try the Golden Medium and the Light (Olive).

Ya'll are so awesome :)

...I notice they group the colors from light to dark also, so light is correctly set in front of winged butter as it is lighter in person.

I think that's usually true, but I'm pretty sure Fawn is darker than Golden Fair even though they are listed in that order. (Unless Fawn just looked darker, when I did swatches on my arm, because it's more yellow - I'm not absolutely certain.) Just thought I'd mention that exception. Does anyone know of any others?

Interesting....I've never tried fawn, but it says it is similar to intensive light concealer and I would say that is darker than I remember golden fair being, or maybe it is just because it is more yellow....maybe they're about the same lightness-wise then.

I use olive fair now and it is about as light as golden fair, just less golden. I also use the intensive fair concealer and it doesn't seem darker than my foundation, just way more yellow (which I find great for covering blemishes!).

I just wanted to make a confession and ask for some advice :shifty:

I joined this board months ago when I had first gotten my EM and I tried it for a/b a month, but I was afraid of a sensitivity to Mica, so I had discontinued use for a while :redface:

The whole reason I began using MMU is b/c of the nasty chemicals they put in DS and high-end MU brands (what is "Fragrance", anyways?! :eh:).....

I had been seeking out other options to see if there's something else that was mica-free that might work better, but samples that I got from other companies had littles to no coverage... so, here I am... back to trying EM again. I have just as much (if not more) breakouts now than I did when I was using EM last year so I've decided to bring my "prodigal" self back and try it again.

All that said...... one of my frustrations with MMU was it's inability to cover blemishes and not turn brown a few hours later (and not look white on first application). Does anybody have any advice on this? I would love to rock EM, so any help would be much appreciated! TIA!!!!!! :)

PS: I just ordered another sample to see if I could get a better color match and got the E-mail blush. Has anyone with very fair (cool-fair/sandy fair-beige) tried this one? thx!

I think I've been using the wrong shade all this time.

I'm pretty damn pale, so I started out with Fair Neutral (just about the palest shade on EDM), but a few weeks ago I decided to order a sample of Olive Fair out of curiosity. Fair Neutral is really close to my skin tone, but I've noticed that it's sliiiiiiiiightly more pink.

Olive Fair, however, is perfect! So I guess I'll have to (yeah, twist my arm there >.>) buy some more EDM! ^.^

This'll give me a chance to get those new brushes.

So now I have an entire tub of Fair Neutral Intensive I will likely not use. Time to test out that trade thread, I suppose.

one of my frustrations with MMU was it's inability to cover blemishes and not turn brown a few hours later (and not look white on first application). Does anybody have any advice on this? I would love to rock EM, so any help would be much appreciated! TIA!!!!!! :)

Did you have this specific problem with EM? MMU brands vary greatly. I've used other brands where I had the problem with the color changing on me later, but not with EM. I think it might have to do with how it mixes with your individual skin sebum though.

Mineral makeup does look best after it has "melted" into your skin. When first applied it can look powdery, although with EM I don't even have that problem. Color changes can mean you have the wrong color too.

It sounds to me like maybe you have some dead skin around blemishes, like they are drying out? Sometimes when makeup sticks to that it turns brownish. Does that sound right?

In both cases, moisturizing helps. If your skin is well-hydrated then mineral makeup "melts" in better, giving a natural finish, not a powdery look, and your skin won't have any dry bits it will stick to (especially if you use a moisturizer with aha).

For lasting coverage, make sure to buff in minerals, and use a concealer on top of the foundation. "Buff" the concealer brush over spots, don't just dust it on top. Then set the whole thing with a last dusting of powder (be it a finishing dust or just more foundation).

Hope that helps.

one of my frustrations with MMU was it's inability to cover blemishes and not turn brown a few hours later (and not look white on first application). Does anybody have any advice on this? I would love to rock EM, so any help would be much appreciated! TIA!!!!!! :)

Did you have this specific problem with EM? MMU brands vary greatly. I've used other brands where I had the problem with the color changing on me later, but not with EM. I think it might have to do with how it mixes with your individual skin sebum though.

Mineral makeup does look best after it has "melted" into your skin. When first applied it can look powdery, although with EM I don't even have that problem. Color changes can mean you have the wrong color too.

It sounds to me like maybe you have some dead skin around blemishes, like they are drying out? Sometimes when makeup sticks to that it turns brownish. Does that sound right?

In both cases, moisturizing helps. If your skin is well-hydrated then mineral makeup "melts" in better, giving a natural finish, not a powdery look, and your skin won't have any dry bits it will stick to (especially if you use a moisturizer with aha).

For lasting coverage, make sure to buff in minerals, and use a concealer on top of the foundation. "Buff" the concealer brush over spots, don't just dust it on top. Then set the whole thing with a last dusting of powder (be it a finishing dust or just more foundation).

Hope that helps.

WOW, Siouxsie! You are so helpful! Yes it was EM, but the concealer seemed to turn much more brown back when I was using it last year, but that may be b/c I was only using Aloe Vera as a moisturizer and it wasn't enough.

I started using EM again just today and actually haven't had the problem w/it turning different colors, and I go b/n a few moisturizers... today, it's philosophy's Hope in a Jar for dry/sensitive, but I think it's bit too heavy b/c I was oily in a few hours. I have no idea! I have HIAJ for all skin types and might try that tomorrow, so we'll see :pray:

It wasn't nearly as powdery and deathly looking this go around, and I think that has a lot to do with the moisturizer... so that's a good thing :) Thanks for the idea about buffing the concealer into the blemishes... I'm trying that tomorrow, too!

Does anybody have a runner up finishing powder next to the Silk Dust? I heard they're discontinuing it and I've read all of your comments about the Black Currant making it not as "silk-like". Suggestions for a change?

Thanks again!

Hi guys, just wanted to pop in and share my latest little story. So, I got a sample of Sunday Brunch blush awhile back and while I love the color I have to be very careful with application because I am very fair and it is HIGHLY pigmented. I had the idea to add a little of some foundation in Fair original glo (from a sample I had) to decrease the pigmentation. It didn't work very well. It had the unintended side effect of changing it from a "raspberry sorbet" shade to a very orangey tone. BLAH! Oh well, I have another Sunday Brunch sample on it's way and I won't ruin this one. It's worth the time to apply because I love the color so much.

I just placed an order for the new angled blush brush and baby kabuki. I already have the flat top and long handled kabuki. I love the synthetic fiber so much. The old brushes I had (a BE and Sheer Cover) made of real hair smell like dirty boy head to me now!

Yes it was EM, but the concealer seemed to turn much more brown back when I was using it last year, but that may be b/c I was only using Aloe Vera as a moisturizer and it wasn't enough

You mean you were using aloe vera straight from the plant :D ?

Does anybody have a runner up finishing powder next to the Silk Dust?

Finishing Dust is what I use. It has pretty good reviews on MakeUpAlley.

Oh well, I have another Sunday Brunch sample on it's way and I won't ruin this one. It's worth the time to apply because I love the color so much.

I didn't like Sundry Brunch that much since it was too cool (read: hooker pink) for my skin. But I'll try to mix it with a bit of winged butter to see if it'll be more suitable. Thanks!

Ah, then yes, I would guess that adding a little foundation to it would turn it into a warmer color for you. I guess I like the cooler pink as a blush - never thought of it that way (I'm fairly new to makeup :)). I definitely didn't like the orange tone I created...actually it looked more like a bronzer on me, even though in the jar it still looked fairly pink.

Yes it was EM, but the concealer seemed to turn much more brown back when I was using it last year, but that may be b/c I was only using Aloe Vera as a moisturizer and it wasn't enough

You mean you were using aloe vera straight from the plant :D ?

Does anybody have a runner up finishing powder next to the Silk Dust?

Finishing Dust is what I use. It has pretty good reviews on MakeUpAlley.

Oh well, I have another Sunday Brunch sample on it's way and I won't ruin this one. It's worth the time to apply because I love the color so much.

I didn't like Sundry Brunch that much since it was too cool (read: hooker pink) for my skin. But I'll try to mix it with a bit of winged butter to see if it'll be more suitable. Thanks!

Straight from the plant?! :shifty: That would've been nice actually :lol:..... I was using Lily of the Desert. Thanks for the rec on finishing dust... i'd like to try that one out. Have you heard of anyone having a problem with the Zea Mays/Corn starch in the ingredients? I thought I had heard somewhere along the way that it can be kind of pore clogging, but I guess I'll never know for myself until I try it. Thanks again for the rec-- and the laugh! :)

EDM has two new brushes up - the angled blush brush and mini kabuki - as well as a new lip exfoliation-moisture product that looks really unique.

I ordered both new brushes but passed on the lip product. I don't like applying lip stuff with my fingers...I've been using Philosophy's Kiss Me in a tube lately because my lips are wicked chapped.

have anyone tried EM's new brushes? I was thinking of buying all their new brushes because I'm not too happy with their old ones. They shed too much and it's also kind of prickly, not so soft. I was wondering if the new ones are any better?

thanks!