Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wynne

Everyday Minerals Cult

I'm a fan of the flat top as well...I find it easier to get full yet even coverage with it, as it blends very well. However, a kabuki is good too & I use that sometimes.

I am thinking to change over to a Flat Top. EM's synthetic Flat Top to be exact. :) I currently use EM's Premium Kabuki and have no problems with it, but wouldnt mind changing to a Flat Top.

Does it provide good coverage? I have heard it provides better coverage than a kabuki.

Also i have heard that it uses more product because it picks up powder better? But you can control that by how much powder you put into the lid?

:D

I find it gives better coverage than a kabuki with less layers, but is still smooth looking & even (you know how too heavy of a layer can look cakey). It does seem to use more foundation though.

It think it's because it blends better, but it doesn't buff quite as well (& buffing seems to give better coverage with less powder). So you use a little more on the brush, but the coverage is very smooth & blended, which seems to hide pores better. It also seems faster, since you can do less layers (although heavier) & still get full coverage.

I've used a kabuki to apply before, then one last light layer with the flat top to smooth & blend; that works great too.

Is everyday minerals better than bare escentuals? I'm almost out of my bare escentuals and I'm thinking about trying everyday minerals. Bare escentuals seems to make my face look shiny, does everyday minerals?

E/S & Blush reviews coming! (I gotta try them all first :D)

Woo! I can't wait! :)

do tell - what's this about??

i'm placing an order today for more African soap so i may just include the flocked sponge to give it a try. it's funny cuz i had a facial on my vacation and the esthetician told me that my skin is actually in really good condition and it's really not as bad as i perceive it to be. so i'm thinking about cutting back on the layers of foundation.....do you think the flocked sponge will be counterproductive to this effort?

Laur said to dip the sponge in the lid where the minerals are and apply in strokes. I read somewhere else that applying in downward strokes minimizes pores, so that's what I've been doing. I wouldn't worry about the makeup going on too heavy - just do a lot of blending/buffing!

quick question, does the multi-tasking concealer work well with beige/olive skintones, & if it doesn't, what concealer do you guys recommend? I'm going to order the Olive-Golden Medium Matte foundation ..

I got my sample kit today and had fun trying everything. The three foundation colors I got (all in Intensive formula) were:

(Cool) Fair

(Beige) Sandy Fair

(Buff) Fair Neutral

The Fair was a little too pale. Both the Sandy Fair and the Fair Neutral were almost perfect matches. So my problem is, how do I tell which one is for me? I'll keep trying them but so far I can't tell any difference. I'm just wondering which one I should order when I run out.

I also got the Sunday Brunch blush and I like it a lot. It was almost a perfect match for the Rimmel blush I've been using for years but SO saturated. It's going to be hard to get the application down without putting it on too heavily. Any suggestions? I think having a larger jar will help.

When I first tried the flocked sponge I didn't like it, but it must have been a fluke. I did what laur_8706 suggested and used the flocked sponge per her directions, and I love it. It really does minimize pores and and give a porcelin look (or as close to that as I'm going to get without surgery). I don't think I'm wasting as much product as a lot of people say you waste when you use a sponge for application. It gives you moderate-full coverage on the first layer without looking heavy or made-up, so if you're a layer for coverage girl, a flocked sponge might be good to cut down on your application time. I think your application process was similar to mine, so since EDM's flocked sponges are so cheap, you may want to give this a try.

do tell - what's this about??

i'm placing an order today for more African soap so i may just include the flocked sponge to give it a try. it's funny cuz i had a facial on my vacation and the esthetician told me that my skin is actually in really good condition and it's really not as bad as i perceive it to be. so i'm thinking about cutting back on the layers of foundation.....do you think the flocked sponge will be counterproductive to this effort?

Jai, i am thinking of ordering the African Soap and trying it for the face. I think you ordered it? Do you like it? Does it remove EM makeup well? How and when do you use it? Sorry for all the questions :)

Thanks!

Brush Review! :dance:

The EM Kabuki and Flat Top just came in the mail yesterday and I am so happy with them. The flat top gives such a light even layer, its amazing. I was using a terrible CVS kabuki thing before and these new brushes are rocking my world. They do seem smaller than the online picture though (or maybe I was expecting larger...). So far there has been no noticeable shedding (I'll give it a few more applications b/f I deem them "non-shedding"). Also, the texture is very silky which is a pleasant surprise (give it a few more washings before declaring them "officially silky").

So hooray brushes!

Also, I got my foundation sample #5 in intensive again, and the colors were normal, so I will just shy away from the other formulas for a while and stick with the colors that work...

E/S & Blush reviews coming! (I gotta try them all first :D)

Thanks for the review Ladylol. I am ordering the Flat Top brush soon, in place of the old EM premium kabuki. Do you like that Flat Top? Does it give you good coverage? Also which do you like better, the kabuki or the flat top? Sorry i have to make you choose! :razz:

I got my sample kit today and had fun trying everything. The three foundation colors I got (all in Intensive formula) were:

(Cool) Fair

(Beige) Sandy Fair

(Buff) Fair Neutral

The Fair was a little too pale. Both the Sandy Fair and the Fair Neutral were almost perfect matches. So my problem is, how do I tell which one is for me? I'll keep trying them but so far I can't tell any difference. I'm just wondering which one I should order when I run out.

I also got the Sunday Brunch blush and I like it a lot. It was almost a perfect match for the Rimmel blush I've been using for years but SO saturated. It's going to be hard to get the application down without putting it on too heavily. Any suggestions? I think having a larger jar will help.

I also found the Sandy Fair and Fair Netural to be perfect for me and basically the same exact color. I decided to go with the Sandy Fair and have been using it for almost a month now. I don't think it really matters which one you order though, since I would agree that they look pretty much the same.

In terms of application, when I first started using it I would get streaks on my face from applying to heavily. Then I looked at the application tips on the website. They're very easy to follow. Just swirl your brush in the powder and tap the edge until you can't even really see the powder on the brush. You might need to apply more than one layer this way, but now that I'm used to it I'm really happy with the coverage. I only use one layer right now.

Hope this helps!

I just ordered two kits & some extra stuff : D I picked the foundations based on the suggestions Eryn gave me via email so I hope they're right ...:/

Personal Custom Kit - Full

with Multi-Tasking Concealer, New Flat Top Brush, Oval Concealer Brush, Olive-Light Olive (matte), Everyday Bronzer & Summer Silk Dust.

Free Sample Makeup Kit

with Buff-Light Neutral (matte), Sunlight Color Corrector, Weekend Getaway, Golden-Winged Butter (semi-matte) & Olive-Golden Medium (intensive)

The other things are the Long Handled Kabuki & small eyeshadows: movie night and black eyeliner.

I'll do reviews on some of them once I get them : ) I want them to arrive fast, but I won't be able to try any of it out until Christmas morning D':

Thanks for the review Ladylol. I am ordering the Flat Top brush soon, in place of the old EM premium kabuki. Do you like that Flat Top? Does it give you good coverage? Also which do you like better, the kabuki or the flat top? Sorry i have to make you choose! :razz:

I have been using the new Kabuki to apply a layer of Silk Dust and the Flat Top to apply foundation. The Flat Top is amazing for pore/scar coverage and putting on the right amount of foundation. It does seem to use more minerals than the kabuki, but I suppose its just going on your face more evenly. So I recommend the Flat Top, and suggest you keep the old Premium Kabuki for Silk Powder and possible blending (aka if the Flat Top is too much fun and you find yourself wearing too much, lol, the kabuki is good for blending some off, tehehehe, yea I got carried away 2 days ago...)

Note: this is my first Flat Top brush, so I cannot officially compare it to other brands...

After four days of wear, one of the brushes has shed one hair, which is super fab!

Heeey girls :D

im using something thats called ID, thats also 100% minerals. do any of you know it thats the same as EM ? and i was also wondering, since i live in Norway , is it possibe for me to order the EM collection?

here's a pic of the collection that i'm using.

post-64734-1197212156_thumb.jpg

post-64734-1197215576_thumb.jpg

post-64734-1197215576_thumb.jpg

Nerd Alert!

When I had the great idea that blushes/eye shadows/colored concealers could be used interchangeably, I wanted to see which ones were cheaper, so I went excel happy and here are the results: (in dollars-per-gram)

Finishing Powder $0.89

Blush $1.33

Concealer $1.33

Finishing Mini $1.50

Foundation $1.50

Blush Mini $1.60

Concealer Mini $1.60

Eye Shadow $1.71

Foundation Mini $2.00

Eye Shadow Mini $2.50

So the full size finishing powder gets you the "most for you money" while the eye shadow mini nets the least. So yes, it is cheaper to use blush as eye shadow, etc...

Economically this is all very silly because color choice is more important than saving a dollar or two... Only useful if the color you want comes in both formulas. :lol:

im using something thats called ID, thats also 100% minerals. do any of you know it thats the same as EM ? and i was also wondering, since i live in Norway , is it possibe for me to order the EM collection?

I couldn't see your pictures but I do know that Bare Escentuals is also called "I.D. Bare Minerals" and some of their jars say I.D. on them. So, I would guess that what you have is Bare Minerals, not Everyday Minerals. BM is the one that has Bismuth Oxychloride which is irritating to a lot of people.

As for shipping to Norway, on the EM website it says "We ship internationally to all countries. All packages will ship via USPS Global Priority, Airmail Letter Post, or DHL Worldwide."

I have been using the new Kabuki to apply a layer of Silk Dust and the Flat Top to apply foundation. The Flat Top is amazing for pore/scar coverage and putting on the right amount of foundation. It does seem to use more minerals than the kabuki, but I suppose its just going on your face more evenly. So I recommend the Flat Top, and suggest you keep the old Premium Kabuki for Silk Powder and possible blending (aka if the Flat Top is too much fun and you find yourself wearing too much, lol, the kabuki is good for blending some off, tehehehe, yea I got carried away 2 days ago...)

Note: this is my first Flat Top brush, so I cannot officially compare it to other brands...

After four days of wear, one of the brushes has shed one hair, which is super fab!

Thanks for that! I have my Flat Top awaiting in my cart. :D

Nerd Alert!

When I had the great idea that blushes/eye shadows/colored concealers could be used interchangeably, I wanted to see which ones were cheaper, so I went excel happy and here are the results: (in dollars-per-gram)

Finishing Powder $0.89

Blush $1.33

Concealer $1.33

Finishing Mini $1.50

Foundation $1.50

Blush Mini $1.60

Concealer Mini $1.60

Eye Shadow $1.71

Foundation Mini $2.00

Eye Shadow Mini $2.50

So the full size finishing powder gets you the "most for you money" while the eye shadow mini nets the least. So yes, it is cheaper to use blush as eye shadow, etc...

Economically this is all very silly because color choice is more important than saving a dollar or two... Only useful if the color you want comes in both formulas. :lol:

Thats great! Thanks for that! :D

Heeey girls :D

here's a pic of the collection that i'm using.

Im pretty sure EM ships to Norway.

I think ID is Bare Escentuals. ID contains Bismuth Oxychloride which can cause major itchiness and irritation. Some people have had this problem but some are okay with Bare Escentuals.

I got my EM order yesterday :dance:

Here's my review of what I've used so far:

Theme Park Blush: a nice peachy blush, less pink & shimmery than I thought & a bit more orange. Very pretty for winter actually, although it might seem like a spring shade. Color goes on sheer then gets more intense as it sits the skin for a few seconds. I was surprised how easy it was to mix with vaseline for the lips; a very smooth pigment & not grainy. It makes a very 60s pale peach lip color that looks good if that's a style you like (which I do).

Medium Brown Brow Color: darker than I thought, but it works me for me as my hair is medium brown lately. If you have light brown hair this will likely be too dark (I used to, and I know it would've been too dark then). Goes on very intense and gives a dramatic thick brow look, which is nice for going out, but not everyday. I need to practice with it to see how I can apply it more subtly. I think I was used to the brown eyeshadow I was using which goes on sheerer.

Chamomile eye shadow: very pretty pale yellow-gold shimmery color. I expect to use this a lot. Looks great with my light brown eyes. I want to try it over red lipstick as a highlighter on the center of my bottom lip.

Wet Sand blush/face color: Worked great as a highlighter to brighten up my olive skin. I applied it with a fan brush above my cheeks & by my brows & it has just a slight shimmer. Nice, warm & very pale tan color. Great alternative to bronzer for winter, IMO, if you want to subtly warm up the face, but keep a pale winter look.

Baby Bath eye shadow: much more brown & flat than I thought & less sparkly. Makes for a nice neutral everyday color. Not sure if I would've bought this had I seen it in person though; I thought the color looked complicated & multi-dimensional on screen & it didn't deliver that way in person.

Pressed Powder in Fair Yellow: This is foundation coverage, not just a light powder, & the color is apparently the same as golden fair, which is my 2nd best EM match, so it works well for me. The sponge applies it too heavy for touch-ups, so I may carry a small baby kabuki in my purse to lightly dust it on evenly. I will report on how well this works as the week goes on.

The packaging is really cheap brown cardboard; very disappointed with how poorly made it is & how clumsy it is to open. Maybe in the future they will make some cute compacts & sell refillables if they want to be environmentally friendly (?).

I have yet to use my free silver bells eyeshadow, pressed olive or cypress, but they all look great & as expected. I have yet to use my new pure silk dust either, as I have a little left of my old one. I heard some people got a grainy batch not too long ago & I'm hoping this one isn't...

This is my first time using EM eyeshadows, and I have to say they do hold up very well on oily eyelids. After 6 hours of wear, no creasing & minimal absorption into the skin. It is a cold day, but that's still impressive for me as my eye makeup often doesn't hold up very well & disappears on me within a few hours.

Medium Brown Brow Color: darker than I thought, but it works me for me as my hair is medium brown lately. If you have light brown hair this will likely be too dark (I used to, and I know it would've been too dark then). Goes on very intense and gives a dramatic thick brow look, which is nice for going out, but not everyday. I need to practice with it to see how I can apply it more subtly. I think I was used to the brown eyeshadow I was using which goes on sheerer.

Chamomile eye shadow: very pretty pale yellow-gold shimmery color. I expect to use this a lot. Looks great with my light brown eyes. I want to try it over red lipstick as a highlighter on the center of my bottom lip.

If you figure out a good way to apply the brow color, let me know! I can't get it right. I think the medium brown is really a dark brown. I wish they had a light brown color. My hair is a medium brown, and my brows are darker, but the medium brown is really too dark.

I love the chamomile eyeshadow! I was thinking about getting their white eyeshadow (I can't remember the name right now) and mixing a bit together to try to mimic MAC's Vanilla pigment.

If you figure out a good way to apply the brow color, let me know! I can't get it right. I think the medium brown is really a dark brown. I wish they had a light brown color. My hair is a medium brown, and my brows are darker, but the medium brown is really too dark.

I love the chamomile eyeshadow! I was thinking about getting their white eyeshadow (I can't remember the name right now) and mixing a bit together to try to mimic MAC's Vanilla pigment.

I have been thinking to order the Chamomile. Reading the description, sounds like a colour i would like. Siouxsie, if you have tried their Oasis e/s, do you think the Chamomile is a lighter/softer version of it?

Red Grapes, would that be the Floating Feathers one? I read that it was shimmery white (which i really need) and i am ordering this in my next order. I think it would be great as a top lid eyeliner, for big occassions. One time i saw a girl wear top eyelid liner and it was white with gold shimmer and it was really nice!

I got my EM order yesterday :dance:

Here's my review of what I've used so far:

Theme Park Blush: a nice peachy blush, less pink & shimmery than I thought & a bit more orange. Very pretty for winter actually, although it might seem like a spring shade. Color goes on sheer then gets more intense as it sits the skin for a few seconds. I was surprised how easy it was to mix with vaseline for the lips; a very smooth pigment & not grainy. It makes a very 60s pale peach lip color that looks good if that's a style you like (which I do).

Wet Sand blush/face color: Worked great as a highlighter to brighten up my olive skin. I applied it with a fan brush above my cheeks & by my brows & it has just a slight shimmer. Nice, warm & very pale tan color. Great alternative to bronzer for winter, IMO, if you want to subtly warm up the face, but keep a pale winter look.

Baby Bath eye shadow: much more brown & flat than I thought & less sparkly. Makes for a nice neutral everyday color. Not sure if I would've bought this had I seen it in person though; I thought the color looked complicated & multi-dimensional on screen & it didn't deliver that way in person.

Pressed Powder in Fair Yellow: This is foundation coverage, not just a light powder, & the color is apparently the same as golden fair, which is my 2nd best EM match, so it works well for me. The sponge applies it too heavy for touch-ups, so I may carry a small baby kabuki in my purse to lightly dust it on evenly. I will report on how well this works as the week goes on.

The packaging is really cheap brown cardboard; very disappointed with how poorly made it is & how clumsy it is to open. Maybe in the future they will make some cute compacts & sell refillables if they want to be environmentally friendly (?).

I have yet to use my free silver bells eyeshadow, pressed olive or cypress, but they all look great & as expected. I have yet to use my new pure silk dust either, as I have a little left of my old one. I heard some people got a grainy batch not too long ago & I'm hoping this one isn't...

This is my first time using EM eyeshadows, and I have to say they do hold up very well on oily eyelids. After 6 hours of wear, no creasing & minimal absorption into the skin. It is a cold day, but that's still impressive for me as my eye makeup often doesn't hold up very well & disappears on me within a few hours.

I also just received my Silver Bells and Pressed Olive, which i still have to try. Not really interested in trying the Silver Bells, but i do want to try the Pressed Olive as an eyeliner. I think it will look great!

I have been thinking to order the Chamomile. Reading the description, sounds like a colour i would like. Siouxsie, if you have tried their Oasis e/s, do you think the Chamomile is a lighter/softer version of it?

I have Oasis too, and chamomile and oasis are waaay different from one another. Oasis is much oranger and darker. Chamomile is a very soft gold. Both are very nice colors, although I would say chamomile is more versatile.

Well, I think I found a good way! It struck me that since it goes on so thickly that I should try applying it like a brow pencil, with short light strokes. So I used the super thin eyeliner brush I got for free with my EM order; I got a little on the brush and the made a few strokes to fill in spots, and then used my finger to blend it and set it with some brow gel (clear mascara). It looks great today, not overdone at all for just a regular day at a work.

I used a small angled brow brush befor (not this, but something like it) and swept in on, but it applies it very heavily. At night, the very dramatic brow with some red lips could really work though.

I still agree that the color is too dark for light brown hair or even a lighter medium brown. My hair used to be a light caramel brown and I want to go back to that eventually, but when I do this brow powder definitely won't work anymore.

I have Oasis too, and chamomile and oasis are waaay different from one another. Oasis is much oranger and darker. Chamomile is a very soft gold. Both are very nice colors, although I would say chamomile is more versatile.

I agree. I haven't tried Oasis, but Chamomile is not orange at all.

I have a request and please tell me if this is not okay to do, since I'm new here.

I have a sample size foundation in Cool Fair Intensive (2.5g) that I tried once with a clean qtip and it didn't work for me. I also have a sample size of the concealer Mint Color Corrector (2.5) that I tried in the same manner. As you know, the samples are generous.

I have no need for them but would rather someone use them than throw them out. I would like to try ANY color sample of the EM eyeshadow just to see if they crease on my oily lids. Maybe one that didn't work for you? Would anyone be willing to trade me for my sample(s)?

Again, if this is against the rules please let me know. Otherwise, send me a pm.

I have a request and please tell me if this is not okay to do, since I'm new here.

I have a sample size foundation in Cool Fair Intensive (2.5g) that I tried once with a clean qtip and it didn't work for me. I also have a sample size of the concealer Mint Color Corrector (2.5) that I tried in the same manner. As you know, the samples are generous.

I have no need for them but would rather someone use them than throw them out. I would like to try ANY color sample of the EM eyeshadow just to see if they crease on my oily lids. Maybe one that didn't work for you? Would anyone be willing to trade me for my sample(s)?

Again, if this is against the rules please let me know. Otherwise, send me a pm.

it's funny u say this cuz i have a large size plum dust blush, large size tinted silk dust, and large size summer balancing powder that i don't want and would be open to giving away (or swapping it :P).......

i dont have sample eyeshadows tho - sorry. what i can tell u is that i have VERY OILY eyelids and EM eyeshadows NEVER crease on me. They last all day. I'm really pleased with the quality.

Oh thanks for that!

I might try out the Chamomile! :)

Ugh. I just tried my new pure silk dust today and it is SO horribly grainy. I have a tiny bit of my old one left, and I compared the two and it is not my imagination; the new one is rough & scratchy and my old one is smooth & silky. Looks like I got a bad batch :(

Someone else mentioned this recently and I was afraid this would happen.

I already emailed EM and asked to exchange it for a good one. Hopefully this is not some permanent new texture & it was an error in milling the minerals...