Notifications
Clear all

Ziana and Purging: New User Questions

MemberMember
(@ziana)

Posted : 08/15/2007 8:56 pm

hey, i just started using ziana about a week ago. It's the first time i'm really using acne meds (although i needed it a few months ago :(, but i was kinda in denial since I used to have nice skin until i turned 16 this year :( )

I haven't seen any results yet, and have a few questions:

1) how long do you tihnk it will take to see results? and also, will it really get much worse before it gets better?

I have mild- moderate acne (about 15 small red pimples, which for some reason are only really on my cheeks, but the surrounding area is rly red, and blackheads but no pimples on my nose)

and is purging when you breakout due to old meds flushing away (which can't happen to me since inever used anything else), or when it gets worse? For me, i have seen no improvement, and maybe a little more aggrevation, but not much)

2) I'm a little bit uinclear about hte small, pea amounts (since it's a gel i'm more inclined to use a little more to spread it around. do you think you should end up with a thin, barely unfeelable layer or should you let it absorb in more concentrated drops on bad areas?

3) I guess I'm a little paranoid but I have a really clear area on my face and am afraid of putting ziana on it in case it gets a pimple and is never clear. is that rly stupid and should i apply to my whole face regardless?

thanks :) and i hope this works soon! (at least before school starts)

MemberMember
(@jr86)

Posted : 08/15/2007 8:59 pm

just apply a thin film to the entire face 20 minutes after you wash at night. you can use it every other night at first if you like to reduce irritation, but eventually use it every night. give it at least 3 months to work.

MemberMember
(@ziana)

Posted : 08/15/2007 9:52 pm

thanks for the advice :)

aw 3 months, that's kind of disapointing, but I guess I'll just have to be patient :(

MemberMember
(@ziana)

Posted : 08/16/2007 6:49 pm

Oh i just found an older post-- 2 weeks on it and clear :)

and more similar stories?? *crosses fingers*

MemberMember
(@smuckers)

Posted : 08/17/2007 4:54 pm

Oh i just found an older post-- 2 weeks on it and clear :)

and more similar stories?? *crosses fingers*

MemberMember
(@siouxsie)

Posted : 08/17/2007 5:05 pm

^ "Purging" is when your skin breaks out because a product is "clearing" out your pores. The idea is that after the purge your skin should look better because it has been "purified" or "cleansed". An initial breakout may also be from your skin adjusting to a product. Always good to give something a fair run before writing it off.

I had an initial breakout after the first week of small, painless red bumps on my cheeks with Ziana. Not any kind of acne I had experienced before. I used to get large, painful acne.

About 1 month into it, that breakout started to clear. Now my skin is looking much better; no one would look at me and say I have acne now. I have no large zits, only faint red marks, and my nose pores look less clearer & smaller I'm just waiting for my deep-seated comedal acne to clear up. The derm told me to give that at least 3 months also, as that kind of comedal acne is very stubborn.

MemberMember
(@ziana)

Posted : 08/17/2007 9:15 pm

^^ thanks for the replies! thy are very encouraging. :)

MemberMember
(@ziana)

Posted : 08/18/2007 7:27 pm

any one else on how long ziana takes to start working noticably? (esp those w/ moderate-mild acne)

MemberMember
(@mr-big)

Posted : 08/19/2007 9:54 pm

any one else on how long ziana takes to start working noticably? (esp those w/ moderate-mild acne)
MemberMember
(@ziana)

Posted : 08/20/2007 7:53 am

thanks for the adivce buckeye :)

only 2 weeks til I hit the one month mark!

MemberMember
(@ziana)

Posted : 08/22/2007 3:58 pm

yay i think i'm seeing results :), 15 days in

MemberMember
(@aseb7)

Posted : 09/01/2007 8:42 pm

I've been on Ziana for a bit more than 2 months and can say that while my skin has improved, my cheeks still have these little red bumps on them (someone mentioned them in this thread a bit earlier on) which are REALLY annoying and just seem to keep popping up regardless of what I do.

Blackheads on my nose haven't really gone away, but my chin is doing WONDERFULLY. My forehead still has comedonal (sp?) acne, those little annoying bumps that aren't inflamed but are just there to annoy you and make your skin look icky.

My derm told me to hold out for a while longer because those are the more stubborn kind, but to be honest only new ones are coming up and it's SO irritating. Blah. In terms of purging, yes, there is definitely a lot purging (stuff coming out) because there was a lot of gunk under my skin and now its pushing itself out. Sadly it looks gross.

My recommendation to you is to make sure you get all of the flakes off and don't let your skin dry out because then acne will form under the flakes and argh it's just a terrible situation. I got the Clarisonic brush and while it's expensive, I do love it a lot; it works.

Don't worry about the amount of Ziana you apply, as long as your face isn't sopping with the stuff after application you should be okay.

Erm... Other than that, well there's not much to say. All I can tell you is, hold out for results. Don't go switching to something else if you get discouraged during the purging period. I'd say around month 2-3 is when you can start exploring other options if you really see nothing. It'll get worse, it'll get better, it'll get worse again... but eventually it should look pretty good. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@havefaith22)

Posted : 11/06/2012 7:02 pm

I have been using ziana for exactly 37 days now (not that I'm counting or anything:) but I am still a little frustrated with the product because my "purging process" has been happening for about 3 weeks total now, which is extremely embarrassing to deal with :/ anyone else have this problem? Should pimples STILL be purging??? Overall texture if skin has improved though, ill give it that. Comments/advice anything? Please and thank you!

MemberMember
(@missdee207)

Posted : 11/11/2012 3:03 pm

Hey everyone I too have the same story. I'm 23 and I never had acne until about two months ago started out small then progressed to my cheeks and chin and a little on the nose. I was sure if was acne or a rash so I went to my derm on Friday and he said that I'm having a outbreak of acne and it is common for my age. I have little pimple all bunched together on my cheeks and chin. Sorta hard to describe. He gave solodyn and ziana. I have to take solodyn once a day and ziana apply at night, through out the whole face. It's only been 3 days and my skin feels very dry and it starting to flake, but that's about it. I have to go back in a month to see if any changes occur. I'll keep u updated if it does a complete 360 on my face. But I have pics on a post I did of what my face looks like. If any of yours look the same.

MemberMember
(@havefaith22)

Posted : 11/23/2012 10:36 pm

Hey, I was just wondering how your doing with the ziana??? I still am not having much success, two months in :/ kind of discouraging but I am trying to stick with it! Purging is STILL occurring. Any similar stories???

MemberMember
(@missdee207)

Posted : 11/24/2012 10:02 am

So this is whats been happening for me, i started ziana on nov 9th, i take solodyn in the morning, its an antibiotic and then apply ziana at night. My derm said dont wash your face since the antibiotic cleans your face out for u, so in thhe morn i wash my face with water. The first week , the ziana was irrating and my skin was literally peeling off, but peeling is good, it took a week for the pimples to swell down. But now im left with like red spot sorta like freckles hard to explain and im not sure if ziana can clear that up. But i now started e regimen so i apply that in the morn and instead of the bp i put ziana on at night. I mean its a long process. But have hou seen any changes at all from when you first used it. If u didnt it not working for you. If its done so change like decrease e size of the pimple , then its working. Hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@shaye)

Posted : 07/25/2013 11:09 pm

My recommendation to you is to make sure you get all of the flakes off and don't let your skin dry out because then acne will form under the flakes and argh it's just a terrible situation. I got the Clarisonic brush and while it's expensive, I do love it a lot; it works.

Don't worry about the amount of Ziana you apply, as long as your face isn't sopping with the stuff after application you should be okay.

1) Do worry about how much you apply. It's easier for me to take a tiny amount out of the tube and spread it on one area at a time. It's harder to do a pea-size if you try to do your entire face at once because the gel dries quickly. Never slather it on your face. It will not work "better" -- it can definitely make your face very red and irritated. Never try to do "spot" treatments. It's a waste of time and asking for irritation. This is potent medication, don't play around with it.

2) I agree with the Clarisonic brush. I love it. My skin tolerates it really well, even with Ziana. I just use the "delicate" brush.

AllyMary liked