Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok, so after waiting for almost 6 months I was finally able to see a derm. I wanted to go on accutane, but I guess my acne isn't bad enough. Anyway heres what he gave me:

Clindamycin gel to be put on in the morning, and it isn't supposed to be washed off at all.

A cream that is 10% sodium sulfacetamide and 5% sulfer to be put on at night.

I'm also supposed to take 2 75mg minocycline capsules a day.

He said to completley stop using BP, and i dont think I've got at least a week w/o BP in 4+ years. The treatment is supposed to last for 5-6 months, and I'm not supposed to see any results until month 2 or 3.

Also, he said that acne does go away with age and by age 19, 90% of people with acne are supposed to have gotten rid of it. I have a hard time believing that, but i hope its true.

So - tell me what you think and is there anything I can do to make this work any better?

I fail to see how his/her derm is a duche bag. The derm prescribes a topical and an oral medication for their patient. Which is what most derm should be doing. If those particular meds work we have yet to see.

And as far as the comment that teenagers who get acne outgrow it after 19 it is completely true not to sure about the number though. Your hormone lvls are at its peak during your teenage years which is when most people suffer acne. Once your hormone lvls return to normal usually when you stop growing which for most people is between 16-19 yrs old. Of course there are people who suffer acne after 19 even people who don't break out until their much older. Whichever category you fail into no one can say.

But know that most people do outgrow their acne. In the meantime you just have to find a way to control it.

im hearing people saying that the mino makes your skin sensitive to the sun, should i wear a hat or something to prevent this? has anyone had success with any of the products i mentioned? :-k

I pretty much agree with Shindou.

I'm 20, and I've gotten perfectly clear skin with the help of Rx products, so I didn't grow out of it. If it weren't for the products, I'd probably be in rough shape.

Not only that, many adults still suffer with acne. Most people out grow it, when their body decides to "stop out growing itself", and start regulating things normally. This is obviously subjective to the person.

To make this as easy as possible, just follows his directions, if you think he's full of shit, ask for a referral. It's your skin.

Minocycline was amazing for me. Combined with tazorac, it cleared me fully. Mino does make you photosensitive, ask the name of a good non comedogenic sunscreen, that's suitable for your skin type. However, when I was on Taz and mino, I used sunscreen rarely. Only if I knew it was going to be an awful day, or If I was going to be out and about.

As for the clindamycin gel, I went on a similar Rx when I was younger that worked alright at the time. Barely any irritation.

Read the directions for the mino, for the first little while, I couldn't stand up too quickly without being a little dizzy.

Let me know if you have any questions! Good Luck!

the reason i consider ur derm to be a duche bag is for a couple reasons.

if you believe your acne was bad enough for accutane, he shouldnt of prescribed you clindamycin gel. My family doctor prescribed me that, and it did nothing. It actually made my cysts alot bigger. I have heard alot of bad stuff about that junk. Its no different then BP. However i found BP more effective.

On top of that his 90% quote, is bull. There are tons of people in there late 20's and mid 30's still dealing with severe acne. Many of them are even on these message boards.

If you believe your acne is bad and requires accutane i would advise you to go to another derm. Because the longer you put it off, the worst your acne will become - that is if it severe.

Alot of derms these days are straight up pussys to prescribe accutane. IF you do go to another derm dont tell them what the other one prescribed you. Just see what they recommend.

the reason i consider ur derm to be a duche bag is for a couple reasons.

if you believe your acne was bad enough for accutane, he shouldnt of prescribed you clindamycin gel. My family doctor prescribed me that, and it did nothing. It actually made my cysts alot bigger. I have heard alot of bad stuff about that junk. Its no different then BP. However i found BP more effective. 

On top of that his 90% quote, is bull. There are tons of people in there late 20's and mid 30's still dealing with severe acne. Many of them are even on these message boards. 

If you believe your acne is bad and requires accutane i would advise you to go to another derm. Because the longer you put it off, the worst your acne will become - that is if it severe.

Alot of derms these days are straight up pussys to prescribe accutane. IF you do go to another derm dont tell them what the other one prescribed you. Just see what they recommend.

You don't even know how bad f***acne is JayC. How do you even know this isn't his/her first visit. Should everyone who visit the doctor/derm for the first time without ever trying any prescription medication automatically assume they need Accutane? Accutane is a very powerful drug and should only be used as a last resort. There is a reasons why it is a controlled drug and you have to pass preliminary tests before you can even be prescribe it. Furthermore Accutane should not be taken by anyone under 18. Your puberty years are when you will most likely get acne. So for someone to go on Accutane during these years is worthless because it just going to come right back when they have to go off Accutane.

Im glad Accutane work for you JayC and that you don't have horrible side effects from it. But what to say that will be the case for everyone else. If f***acne can find a way to control their acne without going the Accutane route then he/she should take it. For most people Accutane isn't a pleasant experience. Plus Accutane is not a cure all. Lots of people get acne again after they stop taking Accutane. We shall see how much you will be prasing it when you are off Accutane and your acne comes back like it did for me. Hopefully though JayC I hope it doesnt come back for you.

Like I said I don't know what the percentage is nor do you JayC. So you can't say it bull. Just go outside an look for yourself. How many people do you see with acne. I bet it not many. Now if you where to go to a junior high school or high school I bet you the percentage of people with acne are higher. Which means most people do outgrow it. And as I have stated people do have acne past 19 but for you to think that number is very high is wrong. Last time I remember the world population was around 5 billion people. So 10% of 5 billion people is 500 million. I doubt there that many people with acne past 19.