Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Canada

Has Accutane Changed?

Has accutane changed over the years like in 2000 there was a report of over 130 suicide deaths but now in 2004 i saw a commercial and a website asking to see your doctor about it? Has the drug changed and gone to a little bit more safer side or they just trying to rack some doe into there busniess?

Where is this report?

I think I read that no more than 6 cases of accutane related suicide has happened since the drug was introduced.

You must have seen the commercial on Much Music! I just saw it too.

Accutane is safe, there are just some awful side effects. It's worked really well on a lot of people, but obviously, shouldn't be given to be people with a history of depression...just so as not to make it even worse.

Besides, you see commercials for weight loss pills and all that, which are actually a lot worse, but they are so heavily advertised.

The FDA reports that from 1982 to 2000, 147 people taking Accutane have committed suicide or were hospitalized for trying to commit suicide

Do you have a link to that report?

This is all they are telling me;

The FDA in February of 1998 stated in a Memorandum the adverse events that had been reported from the use of Accutane. The Memorandum showed that there were 31 cases of suicide, suicide attempt or suicide ideation that were associated with the use of Accutane. Of that number, 12 were suicides, 9 of them male, 2 female, and 1 unknown, and the median age was 17. The average onset of the event was 88 days after the patient had started on the prescribed use of Accutane. As the FDA Memorandum stated: "(f)or the majority, there was no antecedent history of depression and the patients were not noted or known to be depressed in the time period prior to their suicide.

In mid-September the FDA provided an Advisory Panel with a figure of 37 suicides attributed to the use of Accutane since 1983. The FDA raised their figure to 44 suicides over the same period after Roche corrected the FDA's number. My staff and I have painstakingly gone through the FDA's Adverse Event Reports connected with Accutane, and we found 54 suicides since 1998, the same year the FDA issued its MedWatch. Another 30 deaths that are most probably suicides occurred between 1983-1997, a time where the record-keeping was a little less precise. A total of 84 suicides and BJ's is not part of the adverse event reports. The compilation of statistics that we put together, and an explanation of our methodology to minimize inaccuracies is in the press packet as well. "

If that weren't enough, this site says 240.

http://www.accutane-side-effects.net/side_...de_effects.html

Ya i know so thats like 8 people dieing a year, but why would people advertise something that can do that to your body i wouldnt think the FDA would approve it.

Guys honestly stop reading about the suicide rates this drug may have an effect on.

It has not been fully proven that accutane causes suicides. If you were a parent and your kid commited suicide, it would prolly be to hard for you to understand why they killed themselves. Then you would look at the fact that they were taking a drug like accutane, and then blame the company for that. It's liek giving parents an excuss.

I try not to read that stuff about accutane because the more you think about suicide the more it will have an effect on you. I'm glad i didnt read any of the links you guys talked about. Focus on the side effects that actually matter because they are what will be benificial to you in the end.

Hey,

Long time reader, just registered. I also received my first dose of accutane today..

With these suicide stats, has anyone considered that the majority of people taking accutane are teenagers?

1) Alot of teenagers suffer depression already, it is a really hard stage of life.

2) most Teenagers are sensitive enough about there looks as it is, big red cysts on there faces doesn't help!

What Im trying to say is that it's specious reasoning to blame accutane for suicides..... How many people have commited suicide whilst using Asprin?? Does that mean we blame suicides on the asprin?? I dont think so.

As someone mentioned before, alot of it comes down to parents trying to find a reason/someone to blame as to why there child killed themself..

Its purely psychological.

People know the side effects, people worry, then when something strange starts happening, they blame the medication they are on, or think it may be the medication.

Thus, we get reports like these.

Its purely psychological.

People know the side effects, people worry, then when something strange starts happening, they blame the medication they are on, or think it may be the medication.

Thus, we get reports like these.

Before I started accutane I did research, and figured out that the percentage of people committing suicide while on accutane was actually lower than the percentage of people committing suicide not taking accutane (never has) interesting don't you think? I am creating my new designed web site, and am creating an accutane page. If you know of any helpful links, information, or statistics...even personal experiences you would like to share, just drop me a line....remember to include first name, or a nickname, and your state or country. Thanks...I only want that so I can give you the credit for it on my site. Talk to you all later.

Zach

http://www.eze.tripod.com - some broken links...site not completely up yet...accutane page is closed currently