Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AshleyMF1983

Does Accutane cause weight gain?

Hi everyone,

I'm 23 and I just searched a bit for any possible links between Accutane & weight gain. I ask because my derm has just told me he wants to put me on it, but I have a history of an eating disorder (I don't have one RIGHT NOW but I used to). And let me tell you, if I go on this Accutane..and I gain weight, I will immediately stop it, I can guarantee that. So I thought I'd ask if anyone has had any experiences like that.

Thanks.

I feel like the tane takes my appetite away and Ive read on here it does the same thing to others as well. Your eating disorder is mental, theres new treatments that take away your craving if your getting a really big urge to splurge.. Just remember that more than likely its your mind playing tricks on you, your subconcious is a powerful piece of mind! Stay positive and your results will be more likely to be so. If you go in constantly worrying just waiting to feel the eating disorder creep up basically anticipating it that very well could make your subconcious trigger those feelings(placebo effect)... Positive thoughts are very helpful, just try to keep your mind on track and you can DO IT!

My Appetite has definitey increased and I have gained weight. This may be due to my birth control pill which makes you retan water anyway and appear bloated.

You aren't supposed to do intensive physical activity so this may also have an effect on weight.

Hope that helps, Accutane really helps so consider it

:)

I've gained 4 pounds over 6months. However, this might be cause ive sat on my backside enjoying my summer before uni starts.

BUT I HAVE CLEAR SKIN AND SO MIGHT YOU!!! try it. I'll lose weight when I'm happy enough with my skin..and feel comfortable going out more..and to the gym!

Its like I've been given a new life... I'm not being melodramatic!

Consider accutane! :)

Ya im only 38 days into accutane and ive seen alot of improvements my like break outs come like once every week or so and now they arent as big of break outs. Ya ive got some like scabs on my face little ones but the other ones I had faded so im expecting these ones too just a matter of figuring out how to speed up the healing process of red marks. But yes I did gain weight but im not blaming it on accutane im blaming it on my job. where Mcdonalds is the closest thing to it and having a 15 min break doesnt give you much time so Big macs sounds pretty good! and thats anothre thing after eating food like that I use to break out now It seems like I dont ill maybe get like 1 or 2 little spots.

Accutane is mint man trust me i live in a small town maybe like 150,000 ppl and I know like 10 ppl that have taken accutane all of them there skin is FLAWLESS.

Consider it

i havent gained much, prob. like 4 lbs or less, not sure. however, birth control pills do make you gain weight. im not takin birth control pills for the same reason (i dont want to get fat)... i dont have bf now so im not havin sex so why take birth control pills, it will only get u fat....

...i also have a history of eating disorder. and i kno how hard it can be thinkin about anythin that can make u gain weight.

....i also have a history of eating disorder. i know how hard it is...

Well, I gained weight, but here's what I've heard:

your liver processes fat burning (or something of the sort, obviously muscles do that as well) but since accutane works in your liver, so you won't be processing as much fat -- so yes, it could make you fat.

Accutane has no effect on 'fat burning'. You'll gain weight if you eat more while taking Accutane. You'll lose weight if you eat less while taking Accutane. You'll remain the same weight if you maintain a caloric intake consistent with your energy expenditure.

My appetite lessened once I started Accutane and I had already begun the pill. I gained 20 pounds with that BCP before I started the Tane. The Accutane did help me feel less hungry, though.

Be sure to drink more water than you normally do. Most people are dehydrated, Accutane or not. The body/mind can truly confuse thirst with hunger and people will eat rather than do what their body really wants them to do: drink!

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Thank goodness I'm not going to be going on the pill.

Katy..what's this about not being allowed to do any intensive physical activity? I'm an athlete, and I've gotta do my workouts.

Katy..what's this about not being allowed to do any intensive physical activity? I'm an athlete, and I've gotta do my workouts.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Thank goodness I'm not going to be going on the pill.

I've been on Accutane for six weeks, and I've lost 7 lbs so far.

Haven't changed my diet/exercise at all, so I'm not sure how to explain it.

I've been on Accutane for six weeks, and I've lost 7 lbs so far.

Haven't changed my diet/exercise at all, so I'm not sure how to explain it.

Personally, I've got my ups and downs with how much I can/will eat. Typically now, my eyes will see MUCH more than my stomach wants or can handle. I can eat 3 tacos from TacoBell perfectly fine, and will still be hungry (esp. after a long day) but just this week, I ordered 5 because of that purpose... and by the second one... I was completely stuffed :( .... On the bright side, over the past few weeks...I don't wanna say that I lost weight unless the scale was wrong, but I can finally fit into my pants from last year :-p I think the dosage plays a high factor, esp. for me. 1st month---couldn't stop eating.... 2nd month (upped dosage)---couldn't stop eating 3rd month (same dosage)--ate less ...wasn't as hungry all the time... 4th month (now.. same dosage)...not eating as much... Almost to the point of before, but the only thing different is that I stopped eating high doses of candy or sugar :/ lol... well.. at least its good for something for me, just in time for the new school year. :)

Hi everyone,

I'm 23 and I just searched a bit for any possible links between Accutane & weight gain. I ask because my derm has just told me he wants to put me on it, but I have a history of an eating disorder (I don't have one RIGHT NOW but I used to). And let me tell you, if I go on this Accutane..and I gain weight, I will immediately stop it, I can guarantee that. So I thought I'd ask if anyone has had any experiences like that.

Thanks.

There are a lot of natural cures out there that wont harm your health like Accutane. One is Zinc it's great for clearing up the skin. Try it and let me know!

SDPB: Scare tactics are not welcomed. Accutane is highly effective for many people.

So should all cancer treatments be taken off the market as they can just as easily kill the sufferer? Should all surgery be stopped as any surgical procedure has risks? Should any drug never be given as all drugs (even holistic, 'natural' ones) have side effects and can kill one if taken incorrectly?

Kindly stop the scare tactics.

hey

i was also worried accutane would cause weight gain (i was hospitalized for an eating disorder 2 years ago) but i wanted clear skin so badly.

i found that in the first few weeks i gained a few pounds but i think this was water retention because i was so thirsty all the time (as i'm sure you are aware drinking lots of water can add weight temporarily) but i have found recently that i have lost all the weight that i gained- so it has balanced out.

with regards to the exercise, i have continued to do so although experiencing increased muscle and joint pain- but it is manageable.

also i've found my mood to be low at times and sometimes having 'old' thoughts of when i was ill (eg- negative thoughts about myself etc) but i think this is more to do with the way my skin looks and loss of confidence than accutane affecting my mood.

good luck and i hope it all works out

oh- and i wondered do you think your eating disorder caused/contributed towards your acne? i mean because hormone levels can be suppressed with severe weight loss- that they sort of go into overload when returning to a safe weight?

oh- and i wondered do you think your eating disorder caused/contributed towards your acne? i mean because hormone levels can be suppressed with severe weight loss- that they sort of go into overload when returning to a safe weight?

Goodness. I was having trouble with my eating a while back and ended up dropping to 6 stone, and all throughout that period my skin was magnificently clear.

It's really bizarre. I've heard of people who, when ill and unable to eat, have cleared up but then immediately gotten the acne back when they started eating again.

Anyway - no, it doesn't affect weightloss at all! In fact I've actually lost half a stone since I started. :o Shocking.