Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Desi.Spaarkles

Bad acne scars and no insurance, what do i do??

well i joined today and have been checking out the site and it really helps to know i'm not the only one going thru this. this past year i develped some really bad deep scars on my face and it is just getting worse. i don't have any health insurance so i don't know what to do. any suggestions? this is really hard for me. i scrubbed with an exfoliating cleanser (my friends advic) and it seems like my scars got so much deeper. this is depressing and i don't know what i can possibly do. help

Do you still have active acne?

What kind of exfoliating cleanser did you use? (name, brand?)

Short answer, going on a minimum of information here... Some of those cleansers can be very irritating to the skin. You might opt for a mild cleanser. A decent mositurizer, & an exfoliant instead..

People in here can most likely give very useful advice on numerous scar treatments, but a little more info about you, & your condition would be useful. You can also take advantage of the scar section, & the boards search function.

I hope that helps a little bit. Post back when you can. :)

Short answer, going on a minimum of information here... Some of those cleansers can be very irritating to the skin. You might opt for a mild cleanser. A decent mositurizer, & an exfoliant instead..

People in here can most likely give very useful advice on numerous scar treatments, but a little more info about you, & your condition would be useful. You can also take advantage of the scar section, & the boards search function.

i used st ives apricot scrub and avon's porefection for cleanser. probably not the best for my skin at all. i really appreciate your reply, thanks! i will keep checking out this site, i've already got tons of pointers that i never even thought of before!

St. Ives Apricot Scrub is evil when done roughly. It can be evil when used gently. Any scrub that has un-even, rough particles in it can cause micro-tears and cuts in your skin and cause an inflamed acne breakout.

Please stick to gentle only exfoliation (sugar, salt, baby hair brush, facial brush) any of those MUST be done gently!!!

If you have a dermatologist, see if you can get a retinoid prescribed. I highly recommend Retin A or Tazorac. Differin was ineffective for me, even after several months (five - eight) of usage. Retinoids help diminish the appearance of scarring and actually help collagen regrow! They help with acne, too. ;)

I kinda figured Wynne might see this & steer you right! ;) Yep, St. Ives is way rough.

Lots of folks in here like Purpose cleanser because it's gentle, & has non irritating ingredients. Check out the product recommendations listed on this website. They're fairly helpful.

Glad you came back & posted.. I'm still not sure if you still have active acne or not. If you do, hopefully you can use this website as a resource to get clear. I found it helped a great deal.

As things progress, like I mentioned before, there are tons of informative posts on helping to reduce the appearance of scarring.

Best of luck to you! :D

I kinda figured Wynne might see this & steer you right! ;) Yep, St. Ives is way rough.

Lots of folks in here like Purpose cleanser because it's gentle, & has non irritating ingredients. Check out the product recommendations listed on this website. They're fairly helpful.

Glad you came back & posted.. I'm still not sure if you still have active acne or not. If you do, hopefully you can use this website as a resource to get clear. I found it helped a great deal.

As things progress, like I mentioned before, there are tons of informative posts on helping to reduce the appearance of scarring.

Best of luck to you! :D

i used st ives apricot scrub and avon's porefection for cleanser. probably not the best for my skin at all. i really appreciate your reply, thanks! i will keep checking out this site, i've already got tons of pointers that i never even thought of before!

i've had good results with:

- Olay Total Effects Fragrance Free moisturizer

- Olay Total Effects Intensive Restoration Treatment

- Olay Regenerist Targeted Tone Enhancer

- Aknemycin (Rx, but pretty cheap i think)

the olay products are marketed as anti-aging (all around $20), but basically, they speed up cell regeneration and even out skin tone. put any of these on before bed – my favorite is the moisturizer. i've also heard good things about the definity line, but haven't tried yet.

I've read that's a decent product line. ^ Not sure about acnemycin, never used it.

I'm not sure what kind of acne you have, or how severe it is ...But, umm, here's a really general, no health insurance product posting... For getting clear, & staying clear I think Salicylic Acid, Benzoyl Peroxide, gentle cleanser, &/or a light moisturizer are pretty good places to start if you haven't already. Might not hurt to add in a 10% glycolic acid. Of course, how sensitive your skin is, & how well it has responded to any products in the past should be taken into account. Only you can be the judge of that.

I like Paula's Choice products, she has a nice 5% BP, 2% SA, & 10% Glycolic. I've read Dan Kern's BP regimen works really well for lots of folks. (I guess that's obvious)

My understanding is that the reason many brands of OTC acne treatments from drugstores generally haven't worked for me is that they're not always properly PH balanced.

You'll find lots of other product postings, & suggestions all over this website. & You can always ask.

Once again, this is very general, generic advice... a place to start, if you will.

Hormonal acne is another possible thing to consider... Also, the possibility of food allergies. Ruling those out or not can help.

thank you. yes i do still have active acne. i always thought that i could just do microdermabrasion and chemical peels for the scars I have but reading on this site has me worried. some people say it made the scars worse. that would be the worst thing possible. thanks everyone for your help. any information helps me b/c i am clueless when it comes to my skin.

I've read that's a decent product line. ^ Not sure about acnemycin, never used it.

I'm not sure what kind of acne you have, or how severe it is ...But, umm, here's a really general, no health insurance product posting... For getting clear, & staying clear I think Salicylic Acid, Benzoyl Peroxide, gentle cleanser, &/or a light moisturizer are pretty good places to start if you haven't already. Might not hurt to add in a 10% glycolic acid. Of course, how sensitive your skin is, & how well it has responded to any products in the past should be taken into account. Only you can be the judge of that.

I like Paula's Choice products, she has a nice 5% BP, 2% SA, & 10% Glycolic. I've read Dan Kern's BP regimen works really well for lots of folks. (I guess that's obvious)

My understanding is that the reason many brands of OTC acne treatments from drugstores generally haven't worked for me is that they're not always properly PH balanced.

You'll find lots of other product postings, & suggestions all over this website. & You can always ask.

Once again, this is very general, generic advice... a place to start, if you will.

Hormonal acne is another possible thing to consider... Also, the possibility of food allergies. Ruling those out or not can help.

thank you. yes i do still have active acne. i always thought that i could just do microdermabrasion and chemical peels for the scars I have but reading on this site has me worried. some people say it made the scars worse. that would be the worst thing possible. thanks everyone for your help. any information helps me b/c i am clueless when it comes to my skin.

Probably addressing your current acne flareups would be the best way to go then. If you get clear, it would likely be much easier for you to pursue options for scar revision.

That's all I can think of for now. I hope you find some of this useful. :)

i've had good results with:

- Olay Total Effects Fragrance Free moisturizer

- Olay Total Effects Intensive Restoration Treatment

- Olay Regenerist Targeted Tone Enhancer

- Aknemycin (Rx, but pretty cheap i think)

the olay products are marketed as anti-aging (all around $20), but basically, they speed up cell regeneration and even out skin tone. put any of these on before bed – my favorite is the moisturizer. i've also heard good things about the definity line, but haven't tried yet.

and how could have i forgotten?? vitamin e gel capsules - break open and apply topically. even a friend who just had a lumpectomy was advised by her doctor to do this once or twice daily and she said she's amazed at how great it's healing. and that's a scar from major surgery!