Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Knee

What is wrong with my skin

I am 15 years old and my acne seems to be getting worse and worse every day. For the past 6 months its been like this. I started my whole "acne fight" with proactiv (just now reading that it may be horrible for your acne). That wasn't working so I decided to use head and shoulders for a week. I decided that that wasn't meant for skin and may be damaging so I stopped. Then my doctor gave me benzaclin (BP) so I've been using that for about 3 weeks- a month. It seems to be worsening my acne more than making it better.

I was washing with aprocot scrub but learned that its bad for acne so I stopped. Now my current regimen is washing with water and once a day Ultra Gentle Aprocot scrub. In the morning and at night I apply the benzaclin after washing. For the past 1.5 weeks I've been drinking apple cider vinegar morning (2tbsp) and night (2 tbsp). I haven't noticed much of a difference.

Recently I have been getting redmarks on my face that stay for almost a week until comming to a head (where I used to get just whiteheads). I would say I now have moderate acne.

My sister used proactiv and she doesn't have acne any longer (although I never remembered her with it). Also, my parents said they never had acne when younger. WHY am I getting the worst acne in my family?? Could it be the BP worstening mine? I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with diet because I eat healthy and don't have dairy and only eat whole grains. It could be fatigue because I just started working 8 hour days 3 days a week (of hard labor). But I doubt it as anything to do with that because I get 8-9 hours of sleep a night.

I am really frustrated with my acne and it has made me much less social :cry:

If anyone has any thoughts about this or answers please comment

Thanks

Hormones I'd say. It's just normal.

Proactive may be irritating for YOUR acne, but it does wonders with others.

Try DKR regimen and exfoliate with a baby hair brush.

Please read through the whole forum to get info on supplements and over-the-counter products.

I'm really tired of saying the same things over and over again.

I'm not telling you to grow out of it, because it's silly. I know the feeling of not wanting to lose 3-4 years of your life while waiting to grow out of acne.

Hormones I'd say. It's just normal.

Proactive may be irritating for YOUR acne, but it does wonders with others.

Try DKR regimen and exfoliate with a baby hair brush.

Please read through the whole forum to get info on supplements and over-the-counter products.

I'm really tired of saying the same things over and over again.

I'm not telling you to grow out of it, because it's silly. I know the feeling of not wanting to lose 3-4 years of your life while waiting to grow out of acne.

I think the general consensus with Proactive is that it just isn't a strong enough product to get rid of acne for most people. And you probably haven't been on the benzaclin long enough to know if it will work for you. Give it at least another 6-8 weeks before you decide if you want to continue using it. What types of breakouts do you get - inflamed, non-inflamed?

I'm still iffy on the new scrub - even though it says gentle, it may be too irritating for acne prone skin, especially when you are using a treatment product that may dry and irritate your skin in the first couple months. If you tend to get inflamed acne, a scrub can actually make it worse. A scrubbing cleanser generally only works well for those with non-sensitive skin, with non-inflamed acne (there are some people who will also say that people with acne should never use scrubs - I don't tend to agree with that though).

As to you being the only one in the family with problem acne - I'll bet that's not quite true. You did say your sister had it. She may be clear now, but she did have it at one time and if she is still acne prone it is possible she may have problems again later on - happens to lots of women. Your parents may have had mild acne and just don't remember. For some people, mild acne doesn't really bother them, so they just may not remember that they had it as teens. When I started breaking out, my dad didn't remember that he had acne as an adult until my aunt reminded him of how they both used to go to the dermatologist when they were in their 20s and 30s.

I'd say keep going with the benzaclin for a couple more months, ditch the scrub and get a gentle cleanser - and see how things go. If your skin is not any clearer, you might ask your doctor for a topical retinoid (Retin-A or Differin) or possibly for an oral antibiotic if you get a lot of inflamed acne or cysts.

There are some other simple things you might try - taking a zinc suppliment can help with acne (there is some research showing that it can help). Avoid food or multivitamins that have a lot of iodine or kelp in them - iodine is a big acne trigger. Also, not using fabric softener on your clothes or sheets can help - fabric softener tends to clog pores. If you get inflamed acne, try use ice on any inflamed pimples. Applying ice for a few minutes 2-3 times a day can really help reduce redness and swelling.

Thanks... do you think if i ditched the benzaclin and started proactiv again it would work? I was never too strict with the proactiv regimen but it worked for my sister so it may work for me?? I'm just scared it may lead to worse acne but its worth a try. (I only used it for 1.5 month the first time). Also I'm a little worried about dropping the percent BP (5% to 2.5%).

...I get inflamed acne

The only reason why I'm thinking of dropping benzaclin is because my acne has gotten soooooo much worse and I'm thinking it Benzaclin may be the cause.

Captain dont worry too much... yea it may be a bit of a struggle but at least the worst will happen now and you will most likely grow out of it in a few years and then by college you will have crystal clear skin... i've seen it a million times. Unfortunately for me i had very few zits when i was 15 and started gettin it bad when i was 18 and im 21 now still dealin with this shit.

Thanks... do you think if i ditched the benzaclin and started proactiv again it would work? I was never too strict with the proactiv regimen but it worked for my sister so it may work for me?? I'm just scared it may lead to worse acne but its worth a try. (I only used it for 1.5 month the first time). Also I'm a little worried about dropping the percent BP (5% to 2.5%).

...I get inflamed acne

The only reason why I'm thinking of dropping benzaclin is because my acne has gotten soooooo much worse and I'm thinking it Benzaclin may be the cause.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm just sad that I can't use proactiv because it worked so well for my sister

Dude I had to sign up on here just to answer your question. You did the exact same thing I did, I had awesome skin at 14 and then around 15 I just used apricot scrub because I had like 1 pimple. After that my whole face broke out. I then used proactiv and it didn't help so I was put on retin-a micro and it cleared me completely, I had to stop though because my face was blood red all day. But I highly suggest, almost demanding, that you stop the apricot scrub. Mixed with the hormones, the scrub is definitely irritating your skin even more. Just go out and get a cetaphil cleanser and post back when you're through with the benzaclin.

Thanks RjD... you are da man.

And willow569 you are da woman.

Questions for RjD: How bad (any what type) was your acne when you started Retin A Micro?

and Would you reccomend it?

Sry... more questions... This time for anyone who knows about Carley's Clear and Smooth.

Do you think I should drop the benzaclin and try this since it has the same BP percent (although its only a cleanser, not a gel that stays on)?

I just want my acne to go away and the benzaclin doesn't seem to be working :cry:

I am 15 years old and my acne seems to be getting worse and worse every day. For the past 6 months its been like this. I started my whole "acne fight" with proactiv (just now reading that it may be horrible for your acne). That wasn't working so I decided to use head and shoulders for a week. I decided that that wasn't meant for skin and may be damaging so I stopped. Then my doctor gave me benzaclin (BP) so I've been using that for about 3 weeks- a month. It seems to be worsening my acne more than making it better.

I was washing with aprocot scrub but learned that its bad for acne so I stopped. Now my current regimen is washing with water and once a day Ultra Gentle Aprocot scrub. In the morning and at night I apply the benzaclin after washing. For the past 1.5 weeks I've been drinking apple cider vinegar morning (2tbsp) and night (2 tbsp). I haven't noticed much of a difference.

Recently I have been getting redmarks on my face that stay for almost a week until comming to a head (where I used to get just whiteheads). I would say I now have moderate acne.

My sister used proactiv and she doesn't have acne any longer (although I never remembered her with it). Also, my parents said they never had acne when younger. WHY am I getting the worst acne in my family?? Could it be the BP worstening mine? I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with diet because I eat healthy and don't have dairy and only eat whole grains. It could be fatigue because I just started working 8 hour days 3 days a week (of hard labor). But I doubt it as anything to do with that because I get 8-9 hours of sleep a night.

I am really frustrated with my acne and it has made me much less social :cry:

If anyone has any thoughts about this or answers please comment

Thanks

I'm on BenzaClin too. I don't really like it. It takes so long to work and seems un-affective. I see better results with ACV (topically) to be honest.

Here is a third vote for:

Ditch the scrub

Change to a sensitive skin cleanser like Cetaphil or Purpose

Continue the Benzaclin for at least another whole month!

Proactive may have worked for your sister, but you two are totally different skin wise. Even identical twins might need different acne treatments.

Thanks Prepster and Wynne...

I've decided I will continue Benzaclin... hoping to eventually get clear.

Prepster:

About the ACV, I tried it topically recently for a little bit but I stopped. Do you dilute it? I didn't dilute it when I used it but it didn't seem too harsh (but seemed to make me redder??)

Also, I read your signature and was wondering how well fish oil and zinc suppliments help.

Kazak: Try one thing at a time, stick with one regimen for at least two months before you add in anything else. You won't know what got you better if you add in fifty things all at once. Right now, just stick with gentle cleansing, the benzaclin, and whatever else your derm has prescribed.

Thanks RjD... you are da man.

And willow569 you are da woman.

Questions for RjD: How bad (any what type) was your acne when you started Retin A Micro?

and Would you reccomend it?

I'm just saying dude, if you get Retin-a micro, you will get extremely sensitive skin that you will have to deal with for however long you keep using retin a, which is usually years. If you use accutane now you save yourself the trouble of possible scarring and you only have sensitive skin for at least 5 months. Side effects of accutane are not as harsh as they make you believe, they have to list the worst case scenario. I'm on accutane right now 4 months in and ive only had dry lips and I'm completely clear.

Check your diet...sleep patterns, water consumption and stress levels.

Rubbing proactive or other rubbish on your face is not going to remove the root cause of acne. Hormonal changes cause acne in teens, proactive is not going to any hormone reversing for you.

Diet changes hormonal activity, sleep does, water flushes out toxins, stress causes hormonal levels to change. Those are what matters, proactiv is a scam.