Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ive always had mild acne and am constantly on and off antibiotics. My doc used to prescribe me creams like brevoxyl and differin but I told him not to bother as they never did anything. Ive always found over the counter Quinaderm far stronger and more effective than the prescription creams.

Anyway, I was speaking to someone today and they assued me Retin A is great for mild acne/small whiteheads. Is there a particular type/brand of Retin A cream that works best or should I just ask my GP for Retin A?

How long till I see results? Im well into a course of Lymacycline, will this prevent the Retin A initial break out? Ive been told you can combine chemical peels with Retin A, will the peels stop an intial break out? I can't be doing with break outs at 23. These sore little puss filled whiteheads on the very bottom corner of my jaw/top of neck are bad enough!!!!! At 23 this is a joke and it really hacks me off!

Ive always had mild acne and am constantly on and off antibiotics. My doc used to prescribe me creams like brevoxyl and differin but I told him not to bother as they never did anything. Ive always found over the counter Quinaderm far stronger and more effective than the prescription creams.

Anyway, I was speaking to someone today and they assued me Retin A is great for mild acne/small whiteheads. Is there a particular type/brand of Retin A cream that works best or should I just ask my GP for Retin A?

How long till I see results? Im well into a course of Lymacycline, will this prevent the Retin A initial break out? Ive been told you can combine chemical peels with Retin A, will the peels stop an intial break out? I can't be doing with break outs at 23. These sore little puss filled whiteheads on the very bottom corner of my jaw/top of neck are bad enough!!!!! At 23 this is a joke and it really hacks me off!

Yea it really does suck, its so embarrassing going into work with a break out. I hate it! So 10% BP is not as good as retin a then? Looks like Im back up the docs monday.

Hi sweetheart519. You mention that retinoids purge the pores and help with whiteheads. I was just wondering if you could offer some advice for me. I have been using retin A .025% for a little over 3 months now and I'm still getting whiteheads and my pores are still clogged with blackheads. Should I continue with this longer or should I go on a higher strength retin A? I used differin years ago and that cleared up my clogged pores so I'm wondering why the retin A doesn't do the same? Should I take an antibiotic too? Any help you could give I would really appreciate. And my skin is super oily too especially when I wake up. I'm not using a moisterizer. Should I be? Can you recommend a good one? Thanks.

wither generic tretinoin gel or retin-a micro would be the best. stay away from the cream.

it's not bad, but for some people it doesn't work as well as the gel. the cream has an ingredient in it that can cause acne for some people.

Hi sweetheart519. You mention that retinoids purge the pores and help with whiteheads. I was just wondering if you could offer some advice for me. I have been using retin A .025% for a little over 3 months now and I'm still getting whiteheads and my pores are still clogged with blackheads. Should I continue with this longer or should I go on a higher strength retin A? I used differin years ago and that cleared up my clogged pores so I'm wondering why the retin A doesn't do the same? Should I take an antibiotic too? Any help you could give I would really appreciate. And my skin is super oily too especially when I wake up. I'm not using a moisterizer. Should I be? Can you recommend a good one? Thanks.

Thanks for your reply sweetheart519.

If I could ask you a couple more things that would be great. You said I should only use a moisterizer if I need one but how can I tell if I need one? My skin does feel dry in the morning after I wash my face. So if I used bp in the morning when and how would I use a moisterizer?

You mention Purpose being a good moisterizer. I live in Canada and I'm not sure if they sell purpose here or not. I've not recalled ever seeing it. Does anyone know if they sell it here?

You mentioned that antibiotics only help on inflammed acne and not whiteheads and blackheads. How can I tell if my acne if inflammed? Sometimes I get pimples that are red and then a whitehead grows in the center of it. Is this a whitehead or a papule or pustule?

Will retin A get rid of these blackheads eventually? I mentioned that I used differin before and it cleared up my blackheads.

And finally you mentioned that I can use a higher strength retin A if the 0.025% doesn't irritate me. My face gets red and sometimes itches and it stings sometimes when I put it on. I wonder if my face would tolerate a higher %?

Thanks.

Thanks for your reply sweetheart519.

If I could ask you a couple more things that would be great. You said I should only use a moisterizer if I need one but how can I tell if I need one? My skin does feel dry in the morning after I wash my face. So if I used bp in the morning when and how would I use a moisterizer?

You mention Purpose being a good moisterizer. I live in Canada and I'm not sure if they sell purpose here or not. I've not recalled ever seeing it. Does anyone know if they sell it here?

You mentioned that antibiotics only help on inflammed acne and not whiteheads and blackheads. How can I tell if my acne if inflammed? Sometimes I get pimples that are red and then a whitehead grows in the center of it. Is this a whitehead or a papule or pustule?

Will retin A get rid of these blackheads eventually? I mentioned that I used differin before and it cleared up my blackheads.

And finally you mentioned that I can use a higher strength retin A if the 0.025% doesn't irritate me. My face gets red and sometimes itches and it stings sometimes when I put it on. I wonder if my face would tolerate a higher %?

Thanks.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions sweetheart519. The information you gave was very helpful.

I was just wondering something else regarding my type of acne. I get a lot of bumps that are sometimes painful and can be large in size. They gradually decrease in size and a whitehead grows out of them. Would this be inflammatory acne? Do you think I would benefit from taking an oral antibiotic? I'm leary of taking one because I don't want to make it worse.

You say also that the retin A will expel the blackheads but I've been using it for 3 and a half months now and the blackheads are still there. How long before they go away? And I have a lot of blackheads on my forehead near my hairline that I never had before using retin A which is kinda weird.

My face does feel dry and tight after I wash my face so I probably do need a moisterizer. The bp I have, like I mentioned in another post, is an 8% bp. I wonder if I should give it a try or is it too high of a percentage? And is it a better quality of bp since it is a prescription than an over the counter bp?

I'm seeing my derm in exactly 1 month on Sept 17. I wonder what I should say? I always leave there and kick myself for not asking or mentioning something and it takes months to get an appointment with her. I really want to make this one count because I can't take much more of this cause this acne thing has taken over my life right now.

Thanks.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions sweetheart519. The information you gave was very helpful.

I was just wondering something else regarding my type of acne. I get a lot of bumps that are sometimes painful and can be large in size. They gradually decrease in size and a whitehead grows out of them. Would this be inflammatory acne? Do you think I would benefit from taking an oral antibiotic? I'm leary of taking one because I don't want to make it worse.

You say also that the retin A will expel the blackheads but I've been using it for 3 and a half months now and the blackheads are still there. How long before they go away? And I have a lot of blackheads on my forehead near my hairline that I never had before using retin A which is kinda weird.

My face does feel dry and tight after I wash my face so I probably do need a moisterizer. The bp I have, like I mentioned in another post, is an 8% bp. I wonder if I should give it a try or is it too high of a percentage? And is it a better quality of bp since it is a prescription than an over the counter bp?

I'm seeing my derm in exactly 1 month on Sept 17. I wonder what I should say? I always leave there and kick myself for not asking or mentioning something and it takes months to get an appointment with her. I really want to make this one count because I can't take much more of this cause this acne thing has taken over my life right now.

Thanks.

sweetheart519,

Which Purpose cleanser do you use? Is it Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash or Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar?

Have you ever been on or considered going on accutane? What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks.

sweetheart519,

Which Purpose cleanser do you use? Is it Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash or Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar?

Have you ever been on or considered going on accutane? What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks.

Hi sweetheart519,

Sorry for all the questions. I hope you don't mind answering them. If I'm bothering you too much let me know. Thanks a lot for all your help. I'm going to see if I can get that Purpose wash. I'm using cetaphil but I don't think it's working too well for me.

I was just wondering how long have you been on oral antibiotics and how long is your course? I'm willing to give antibiotics a try but I'm only willing to take them for a minimal amount of time, say 3 months at the most. I don't think it's healthy to take them for extended periods. Like I've read that some people on this board have taken them for literally years at a time. What are your thoughts on this?

And have you had any side effects from them? Like yeast infections or digestive problems? Does it help if you eat yogurt with that probiotic stuff in it?

How did you decide on that particular antibiotic that your taking? I think I'm allergic to that so I would probably have to take one of the cyclines. Is there a particular one that's better?

Regarding the accutane, I hear what you're saying. But this stuff just won't go away. It's not severe but it's persistent. I'm going to mention it to my derm and see what she says. But like I said I'm willing to give a shot at the antibiotics first and see what that can do. I'm very scared of the potential side effects of accutane and I'm a person who doesn't like to take pills for anything period not even a headache. But even I am getting to the point now where I can't live like this anymore because this isn't living. I stay in the house for days on end because of this crap. This isn't a life so if accutane can give me my life back that's a chance I'm willing to take.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Hi sweetheart519,

Sorry for all the questions. I hope you don't mind answering them. If I'm bothering you too much let me know. Thanks a lot for all your help. I'm going to see if I can get that Purpose wash. I'm using cetaphil but I don't think it's working too well for me.

I was just wondering how long have you been on oral antibiotics and how long is your course? I'm willing to give antibiotics a try but I'm only willing to take them for a minimal amount of time, say 3 months at the most. I don't think it's healthy to take them for extended periods. Like I've read that some people on this board have taken them for literally years at a time. What are your thoughts on this?

And have you had any side effects from them? Like yeast infections or digestive problems? Does it help if you eat yogurt with that probiotic stuff in it?

How did you decide on that particular antibiotic that your taking? I think I'm allergic to that so I would probably have to take one of the cyclines. Is there a particular one that's better?

Regarding the accutane, I hear what you're saying. But this stuff just won't go away. It's not severe but it's persistent. I'm going to mention it to my derm and see what she says. But like I said I'm willing to give a shot at the antibiotics first and see what that can do. I'm very scared of the potential side effects of accutane and I'm a person who doesn't like to take pills for anything period not even a headache. But even I am getting to the point now where I can't live like this anymore because this isn't living. I stay in the house for days on end because of this crap. This isn't a life so if accutane can give me my life back that's a chance I'm willing to take.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Thanks again for your help sweetheart519.

I think the cetaphil is irritating my acne too.

I think 8 weeks is a reasonable amount of time to be on an antibiotic. If that's what my derm wants me to do then I will give it a shot. I am allergic to septra. I took it several years ago for an ear infection and had an allergic reaction to it. So I guess i will have to try one of the cyclines.

Do you really take 800 mg twice a day? That seems like a pretty high amt.

Let me know about your derm appt. I'm interested to know about this drug that she wants to put you on if your acne is hormonal. Mine seems to get worse a week or so before my period.

Thanks.

Thanks again for your help sweetheart519.

I think the cetaphil is irritating my acne too.

I think 8 weeks is a reasonable amount of time to be on an antibiotic. If that's what my derm wants me to do then I will give it a shot. I am allergic to septra. I took it several years ago for an ear infection and had an allergic reaction to it. So I guess i will have to try one of the cyclines.

Do you really take 800 mg twice a day? That seems like a pretty high amt.

Let me know about your derm appt. I'm interested to know about this drug that she wants to put you on if your acne is hormonal. Mine seems to get worse a week or so before my period.

Thanks.

I went to Walmart yesterday to try to find Purpose cleaser and I couldn't see any Purpose products at all so that was a bit disappointing.

Yes let me know how it goes with your derm appt.

Thanks.

I went to Walmart yesterday to try to find Purpose cleaser and I couldn't see any Purpose products at all so that was a bit disappointing.

Yes let me know how it goes with your derm appt.

Thanks.

Ok so here is a summary of my derm appt today. I love my dermatologist she's great! I am to continue the Differin and Benzamycin as I have been. For the oral antibiotic (Septra), I am to finish the last 10 pills at the 2x/day dosage. Then at that point, she wants to wean me off so I will go down to once a day. At the same time, I will start Spiro at 50 mg once a day. This way the spiro will be getting into my system as the antibiotic is getting out. I will do this for 2 months and then come back and see her. At that point I should be off oral antibiotics altogether and just continue with the spiro and topical treatments. Eventually I could be weaned off the spiro if it is determined that the birth control is effective enough (she said it takes 2-8 months to kick in for your skin and I am on month 5), or I could stay on the spiro and stop topical treatments altogether if it is effective enough. Just depends. Good appointment though!!

Ok so here is a summary of my derm appt today. I love my dermatologist she's great! I am to continue the Differin and Benzamycin as I have been. For the oral antibiotic (Septra), I am to finish the last 10 pills at the 2x/day dosage. Then at that point, she wants to wean me off so I will go down to once a day. At the same time, I will start Spiro at 50 mg once a day. This way the spiro will be getting into my system as the antibiotic is getting out. I will do this for 2 months and then come back and see her. At that point I should be off oral antibiotics altogether and just continue with the spiro and topical treatments. Eventually I could be weaned off the spiro if it is determined that the birth control is effective enough (she said it takes 2-8 months to kick in for your skin and I am on month 5), or I could stay on the spiro and stop topical treatments altogether if it is effective enough. Just depends. Good appointment though!!

I'm sorry about your derm. It really is hard to find good ones sometimes. No I have never heard of that moisturizer :unsure: Try googling it. :) See if Cetaphil cleanser is sold in Canada. That's probably the next best thing to try.