Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miss Josette

Persistent acne for nearly 13 years

I'd have an answer for those, though: I'm not seeing anyone, nor do I want to see anyone. And the baby would never be deformed because it would be a fetus, and nothing more. That's why I'm pro-choice. That's a personal decision that I would make in the (unlikely) event of that situation, and that's what I would tell my derm during the discussion of birth control.

Well, I suppose I'll have two options: get it taken care of so I can't get pregnant, or just suffer with acne for the rest of my life. I refuse to take anything on accutane that will screw with my hormones. It's likely to defeat the purpose of taking the accutane. Why waste my time if I'm only going to end up in another nightmare?

If I ever get seriously involved with someone, I will likely consider a hysterectomy, anyway, because I don't want any children.

I would absolutely get an abortion, if I'd not been able to use the morning after pill. I know myself. I know what I will and will not do, and I've known someone who has had an abortion. I would never in a million years have that baby. Never.

Talk with your dr. about this. My I-Pledge book says that you need 1 primary form of bc, and 1 secondary form of bc. Primary forms are: tubal sterilization; partner's vasectomy; iud; hormonal (bc pills, etc.). Secondary forms are: male condom, diaphragm; cervical cap; vaginal sponge with spermicide.

So it is possible to be on Accutane without being on birth control pills. Many of the listed "approved" methods have further explanation to them (in other words, I mentioned birth control pills, but not all birth control pills are acceptable). You should be able to find more details on the IPledge site, or your derm can go over it with you.

hth,

dsal

What about abstinence? Isn't that the most effective birth control method of all? It is in my book anyway.

Miss Jossette:

Are you going to the Dr soon to try to get on accutane? Let us know how it goes and if you are successful at getting it without taking a bcp.

What about abstinence? Isn't that the most effective birth control method of all? It is in my book anyway.

Thanks for all of your input and advice dsal. I hear what you're saying. I'm going to the derm in Sept so I'm going to discuss all of this stuff with her. And to have a little indiscretion I think one would have to actually leave the house. LOL.

I don't know what this IPledge thing is. I live in Canada so I don't think we have that here, at least I've never heard of it.

Have you ever been on accutane dsal?

Thanks for all of your input and advice dsal. I hear what you're saying. I'm going to the derm in Sept so I'm going to discuss all of this stuff with her. And to have a little indiscretion I think one would have to actually leave the house. LOL.

That ealier post about the bright yellow book announcing to everyone you're on accutane -So funny! I felt the same way, just wanted to cringe on my way out of the office.

As to your question about if they test for BCPs... I've had such horrible issues with birth control pills messing up my hormones and skin - I'll never take them again. My husband had a vasectomy last year after our second child. I'm using that as my primary and just saying that we are also using condoms. (Like I could get him to use them now after making him go under the knife! lol) My derm knows that we aren't actually using condoms - didn't seem to have a problem with it. So - if you're sure that you would be abstinent - I don't see why you couldn't say partner's vasectomy and condoms as your two forms. They can't/won't be checking your partner.

Good luck

Thanks for your replies 30not15 and dsal.

I'm just not sure what to do. My acne isn't severe but persistent. I have blackheads, whiteheads and painful bumps that come to a head. I wake up in the morning and my first thought is what hideous thing is protuding out of my face today. I would like to try accutane but I am afraid of the side effects and I just know my derm wouldn't let me go on it. She's only at her office once a week. The rest of the time she spends making money at her cosmetic surgery clinic. The topicals aren't as effective as I hoped so I need to take something internally. I'm considering antibiotics which I haven't really tried but I'm leary to go on those too. I don't know what to do. My life is basically on hold because of this. I can't even function.

Do you have any advice?

Thanks for your replies 30not15 and dsal.

I'm just not sure what to do. My acne isn't severe but persistent. I have blackheads, whiteheads and painful bumps that come to a head. I wake up in the morning and my first thought is what hideous thing is protuding out of my face today. I would like to try accutane but I am afraid of the side effects and I just know my derm wouldn't let me go on it. She's only at her office once a week. The rest of the time she spends making money at her cosmetic surgery clinic. The topicals aren't as effective as I hoped so I need to take something internally. I'm considering antibiotics which I haven't really tried but I'm leary to go on those too. I don't know what to do. My life is basically on hold because of this. I can't even function.

Do you have any advice?

i've been on 3 courses of accutane...and i still have acne.

i believe that accutane should only be prescribed as a last resort because it has such potentially serious side-effects.

Just to clear a bit of confusion: iPledge is only in the USA. Other countries have different rules regarding the prescribing of Accutane.

Ultimately the decision is yours. I've debated for a long time about it myself. My acne would probably be considered mild to moderate right now - but I've been on a daily BP wash, Doryx antibiotics, and Differin for 8 months. This is probably the best my skin has been on any regime. I still break out, sometimes quite awfully. My skin is never clear, just a bit better than before. It's frustrating. So, knowing that even with my current regime, and all of the other meds I stuck with for years before this, isn't keeping me clear - I feel that Accutane is my last resort. I've seen my older relatives, they have horrible scarring. I'm getting / have some scars already. I've been through two pregnancies, and if my skin has not calmed down by that and the fact that I'm 30 - really why wait any longer? I would never have considered Accutane before this point in my life. However, where I'm at now - I hope it's the right choice. Personally, I wouldn't waste time on antibiotics and certainly would never screw up my hormones again with birth control. But maybe you would have better luck - some people have great success with those options.

I made a mental vow to myself a couple of years ago that if I still had the same acne problem by the time I'm 25, I would seek accutane. I will be 24 in two months, so that leaves me a year before that time has come. I have tried over the counter creams, prescription creams, antibiotics, changing my diet, going to sleep at a specific time each night, changing my pillowcases frequently, trying to use SLS free shampoo, toothpaste (etc).....no luck. My acne improves briefly then returns, and this just repeats and repeats.

The fact is, I don't want to spend anymore of my precious time, after wasting so much of it, on acne. I've thrown money away, I've sacrificed my social life ("I can't stay out this late, I have to be in bed early") and my freedom ("I can't eat here, so I'll let them go without me").

I'm thinking that next year, if I see no improvement, it is time for that last resort. I will not want to waste another year, another month, another day, another hour, another minute, another second on this garbage.

I realize that accutane may not work. But I also know that there is a good chance of success.

I haven't been on here in a while. Frankly, I've been too busy to worry about acne, and I've just been using foundation on a daily basis to make my skin look decent...but now that things are settled again, I realize that I have to do something about my face. It has flared up again very badly, and it's not just spots, it's spots that are very red and angry looking. My cheeks are broken out again, when before they were starting to clear. I know some of it's the heat and humidity, but it's too severe to be completely from that alone....

Thing is, I'm just exhausted. I've tried over the counter products, prescription creams, antibiotics, restrictive diets.....nothing works. I keep myself very clean, change my pillow case once a night.....try to go to bed before midnight and sacrifice my creative spark that happens late in the evening when I would rather be up doing things.... I've watched what I've eaten, given up foods...... I just sacrifice and sacrifice in futile attempts to clear my skin and I never gain anything from it. I'm tired of sacrificing. I'm tired of sacrificing life's enjoyments because of my stupid skin that never clears no matter what I do or don't do.

I've been considering looking into accutane....Accutane and and maybe an endocrinologist are the only two options left for me. I refuse to try anymore antibiotics like the one I used to take (all it did was mess up my digestive system, IMO). I refuse to worry about when I go to bed. I refuse to obsess over my diet. I refuse to be afraid to put on make-up.

I'm tired of being a slave to my skin.

I'm not sure I can get accutane.... Not because my skin isn't severe (it isn't, but it I've had persistent acne for over half of my life, and often times it can become moderate rather quickly with no warning). I really, really don't want to get on a BCP. I'm thinking an endocrinologist might be a better idea. Maybe try something like spiro.....

b_water: Thanks for your comment. I really don't think quitting dairy products is the answer. I've always eaten dairy products and during that time my skin was clear and I still eat dairy products and now I have acne. So I see no correlation between the two.

I agree with you 30not15. I'm 36 and why should I wait any longer? I feel like I've wasted the last 5 years with this crap. Are you currently taking accutane?

Miss Josette: You are very lucky you are so young and have the luxury of waiting a year. What are you currently using?

b_water: Thanks for your comment. I really don't think quitting dairy products is the answer. I've always eaten dairy products and during that time my skin was clear and I still eat dairy products and now I have acne. So I see no correlation between the two.

I'm extremely lactose intolerant, so I don't consume any dairy except for the few times in the past several years that I've had something like a biscuit. I eat no cheese, no milk....anything that's considered dairy. I don't know if it made a difference. I don't think it did. If dairy had any effect on my skin, it would be long since passed, since I think I quit consuming it sometime around 2002.

jenny - That's just a personal decision I've made for myself. I don't want to let it go on any longer without trying accutane. I thought by waiting until around 25, I would give myself a chance to 'grow' out of it, because my dad had acne and his skin problems went away around that age for him. If I have it beyond 25, I figure it's not going to go away and that accutane might be last hope to make it go away. So it kind of becomes a 'why wait any longer?" type of thing.

Currently, I'm only using a sulfur face wash...I've given up on most topicals because my face just turns too red and it's hard getting my make-up to look decent.

I'm extremely lactose intolerant, so I don't consume any dairy except for the few times in the past several years that I've had something like a biscuit. I eat no cheese, no milk....anything that's considered dairy. I don't know if it made a difference. I don't think it did. If dairy had any effect on my skin, it would be long since passed, since I think I quit consuming it sometime around 2002.

i don't understand the reluctance to try accutane if nothing else is working.

why wait? to have more discomfort first?

duane: I think the reluctance to try accutane, for me anyways, comes from fear of all of the possible severe side effects one might get from using it. You said yourself in previous posts that accutane should only be prescribed as a last resort because it has potentially serious side effects. You said you've been on accutane 3 times but you still have acne. Would you recommend someone like me taking accutane? I don't have severe acne but I've had it for 13 years plus. I have blackheads, whiteheads and bumps, sometimes painful, that come to a head in the form of a whitehead. I also have bacne. I'm 36 years old and if I have acne for much longer I'm going to develop permanent scars. Not sure what to do at this point. You're right, why wait? I wish I knew that answer.

Miss Josette: If you are waiting to grow out of acne at 25 years old like your father did I think you will be waiting a long time. When you are female and have acne you are far less likely to "grow out of it" then males are. There are women on this board who are in their 30's, 40's, 50's and even 60's who are still waiting to grow out of it myself included. I haven't encountered many men in these age brackets on here complaining about having acne. It's because of our hormones. Wait until you are 25 if that's what you want to do but I think it's highly unlikely that you will grow out of it. I sure hope you do.

I'm fully aware of that, but taking accutane does concern me for a few reasons: I do not want to take any birthcontrol pills or anything that does anything to my hormones while on tane, and I know I will have a battle ahead of me when I pursue it. I also fear hair loss, truthfully. I have a thick head of long hair that I'm quite attached to. I compensate for my skin with my hair, if that makes sense. I'm scared to death my hair will start thinning, and if it does, I'd probably want off tane because of it. I've also read about people having problems with rosacea after accutane, and I have issues with red/pink skin as it is. I believe I have a mild form of rosacea that was induced by all of the topicals I've used over the years. The possiblity of that getting worse frightens me as well.

And, as you pointed out, with females it's likely a hormonal issue....so I have to wonder how long accutane will work for me, or if it will at all.

well, like i said before accutane is a remedy of last resort. to me, that means that all other medical treatment options have been exhausted. in such a case, there are only 2 medical options remaining: try accutane or suffer with acne indefinitely. my acne was severe, so i wasn't willing to suffer with it indefinitely without exhausting all the possible medical treatment options. accutane is usually only prescribed to those with severe acne that hasn't responded to conventional medical treatment options. benzoly peroxide, topical retinoids and antibiotics typically clear up most cases of acne. but severe acne usually has little response (if any) to these treatment options. by severe acne, i mean cystic acne that is persistent...it doesn't come and go.

i question the wisdom of prescribing accutane to those with mild to moderate acne, or acne that isn't severe. such acne typically responds to one of the other medical treatment options (including hormone therapy) without the risk of accutane's serious side-effects.

i hope this helps.

i question the wisdom of prescribing accutane to those with mild to moderate acne, or acne that isn't severe. such acne typically responds to one of the other medical treatment options (including hormone therapy) without the risk of accutane's serious side-effects.

i hope this helps.