Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lalalalaloopsy

Facts about how bad...

We are going to get rid of our microwave soon and buy one of those tiny little ovens which are the same size and have a little timer on them.... for $30. They have two tiny shelves on them for baking foods. We'll be cooking that way :).

Thanks again.

Continual misinformation ftw! Theres so little decent research about microwaved food, hardly any proper studies or research either way! Raw beats all cooking methods, but it's dangerous and not all foods are digestible. So you can't win!

Brocolli

Kitchen Myths

Microwaved Vitamins

Although microwaves are safe to use it is important to point out that cooking in them can affect the nutritional value of some foods, for example, fruit and vegetables. But nutrients are lost when heating foods in any way - boiling, grilling, frying or even steaming. The Food Standards Agency (an independent food safety watchdog set up by the Government) say that the amount of nutrients lost when cooking with a microwave is similar to other cooking methods. As long as you don't over cook foods, microwaving can actually be quite a healthy way to cook, as it uses only a little water. The best way to keep as many nutrients as possible in fruit and vegetables is to use as little water as you can and not over cook them

Ok now that I actually read the article I have to say that Mike Adams ("Mike Adams is a natural health author and technology pioneer". Pioneering, what, exactly?) is a douche.

His hearsay article doesn't cite a single source. If you notice for example when he says "One study showed that microwaving vegetables destroys up to 97% of the nutritional content" it bugs me to see words like "one study". One study? What study? Your mom study?

The actual study that was published in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture did not show that One study showed that microwaving vegetables destroys up to 97% of the nutritional content. It said it destroys 97% of broccoli's carcinogenic properties which are also speculative at best. He does mention the broccoli. But now that I did a basic google search, I wouldn't give Adam ANY credibility for whatever the hell he's got to say.

This is exactly the kind of people and sorts of articles that I hate to read. The guy mercilessly twists the facts to make his speculated, pious point. Problem is, people with a knack for conspiracy theories jump on the band wagon in about as much time as it takes you to finish reading this sentence.

Now. Am I saying microwave is good for you? Well, probably not. How good is it to be effin BREATHING in LA? Not good for you either. Why doesn't anyone advise you to drop everything and live in the mountains?

Actually, you would probably average a pretty unimpressive number of years if you'd go live in the mountains. Our ancestors only lived 20-30 years, and even that was rare. They lived in the exclusive purity of air, cleanness of water, and they were eating all natural food. The average lifespan of a male American I think is around 72 years or something like that. Just because something is marginally bad for you doesn't mean you need to toss it away.

Go to hell Adam, and I'm keeping my microwave.

Forgive me I didn't read all the article or thses posts thoroughly but..........

One thing my mind hits a snag with is when I read articles that claim microwaving is XXXXXX bad for you and destroys 50+% of the nutritional content of food...

you see the problem with that is this,

A person (like many I know) who eats the majority of their food cooked in the mic' would DIE if any of these statements were true.

Most microwaveable food like hot pockets, and pizzas are already nutrient deficient up to a point because of:

Bad design

Being over processed

Frozen over, possibly thawed and re-frozen

...and then Nuked

If your already starting out with terrible food, THEN you destroy and additional 50+% of it's remaining nutrient content, you DO NOT have something you can live on reliably.

Therefore people who eat most if not all their food from the mic' would not live long, but they do, so by the demonstratable evidence nuking food does not cause that much damage.

All AC power has a frequency in that range. All conductors that have a current through them and are AC(Most of the ones in your house), produce an EMF. There is nothing you can do about that anyway. It's law to have AC current in a certain frequency. Doesn't matter if you are supplied by wind, solar, the grid, etc...

If that were the case then electricians all over the world dealing with these lines and those dealing with motors, alternators, generators(The things that produce a much higher EMF), etc... would likely have a higher cancer rate than the average population. But they don't.

Guest Cubsfan

I'm waiting for my nu wave oven (as seen on tv), any1 have experience with these?

But for someone who gets mad at what he considers "myths" and "misinformation" I'm surprised you still believe the melanoma and sun nonsense.

I've been eating microwave food for 7 years now since I moved to London for my Masters, PhD etc studies. I'm hearing contradictory opinions all the time.

Two days ago I was with 2 friends at a restaurant discussing about this. They were both convinced that eating microwaved food for so long is almost certain death! They both stopped eating microwave food and now they either boil, bake or eating raw salads. Of course, I'd sure like to decrease my microwave food intake but I simply have not got the time...I think I'm mostly concerned with the ingredients found inside the frozen ready-meals rather than the microwave itself. On the other hand, what if my acne is due to eating these kind of microwaved foods? :confused:

True for vitamins and minerals but microwave somehow destroys way more antioxidants than all other methods.

Kind of OT but from the Google Answers:

I seriously doubt if one could find a single case of vitamin deficiency in the US, excepting

eccentrics whose diet is abnormal.

So naive! The majority of people are deficiency in at least half of all vitamins and minerals.

We are overfed but undernourished!

Bah, that really makes me angry. How can he say pseudo scientific things like microwaves "destroy the natural harmony in water molecules" or "nuke" it, and still being taken seriously by anyone?!?

Microwaves are no alchemy. Everyone can look up the science behind it and discover how it works.

Anyone who wants a more elaborated response to that article should read this blog reaction (by a real scientist, and not a guru).

Bah, that really makes me angry. How can he say pseudo scientific things like microwaves "destroy the natural harmony in water molecules" or "nuke" it, and still being taken seriously by anyone?!?

Microwaves are no alchemy. Everyone can look up the science behind it and discover how it works.

Anyone who wants a more elaborated response to that article should read this blog reaction (by a real scientist, and not a guru).