Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jemini

(ultra) low dose accutane

Hey,

I have mild but semi persistant acne.. im wondering because i notice that my acne is getting lighter as years go on (im 20) is it a good idea for me to do a ultra low dose of accutane and just use topicals every now and than for maintenance. I use cetaphil and duac gel at night and it seems to be working but not to the point i want it at. I just want to buy time until i grow out of acne (21-22) or so. My family grew out of acne around this age im pretty damn sure i will.

Thanks

Ps. Ive never taken accutane in the past but i think it can be benefitial. I am seeing my derm in a few weeks just kind of excited. When did you guys experience a difference in your skin?

Edited by keiko1
What do you want to know Grind?

the answer to this:

quick question

1. can i take Sibutramine (the hunger suppressant pill) while taking accutain? i'm not fat i'm actually slim / muscular. but i use it a few days of the week to help stop me from over eating, and from trying to not eat bread and anything else that might break me out etc. without it i cant control myself, some food mental problem

2. how long do i need to wait for the doxy antibiotic to leave my system before i start the ultra-low accutain dose.

thanks

- can i take sibutramine?

- how long should i stop taking doxy antibiotic before moving onto the low dose accutain?

someone must know the answer to number 2 anyway

i really REALLY want to hurry up and get on this but cant without these answers. the derms here know nothing about nothing so i'm not bothering to ask them, they will give you whatever you want but offer no actual advice

so i could stop taking it today, or today being my last day

and worst case is i could start taking the accutain say by the end of october?

'couple' of months is too long, i'd get fired by that time if i suffered a month with cystic acne at work. 2 weeks for the acne to come back, 2 weeks for me to just sit there and accept it. then after that is up, i'd need to take something to get rid of it. i cant wait more than 1 month

would this be acceptable

and re the sub - is this also ok to take with the acc?

thanks for your help i really appreciate it

That is very perseptive Temp123. I wish dermatologists would consider internal factors such as vitamin deficiency, thyroid, insulin levels, and circulation more frequently rather than just prescribing various creams and gels.

i'm 60kg (aprox)

i'm now on 30mg per day as prescribed by the local GP (under my instruction, as he has no clue what any of it is). until December. at which time i'll go back to the UK and see a proper derm, and see what they say. but my plan is to take 30mg for 2 months until i see them, and then if they agree, take 30mg for a further 4 months (total of 6 months on 30mg). i'm absolutely loving it

even by the end of the working day (start at 8am finish at 6pm), not a single sparkle of oil. i can run my hand across my forehead or nose and it will be dry. its wonderful

so i guess the test will be if 6 months on 30mg will have any effect once i stop taking it

this is my test

after the 6 months of this 30mg, if any acne comes back once i stop taking it, i will go back to the derm and say my 30mg test failed and i would like to try the full dose (60/65mg for 6 months) and try to oblitorate it (as i never did a full dose before, had to stop after 3 months a few years ago)

if after 6 months of FULL dose it comes back again.. then i will have to revise a new idea of long time dose of ultra low. 10mg a day didnt really do much, nor did 20 in fact, but i didnt exactly give it much of a chance. this 30mg is perhaps a little too over-drying, as i'm getting the old dry lips again and getting some bits and bobs. worth it though to have a clear and dry face for once

Been a few months now, lowering to only 10 mg a week, but I've had a few zits recently. Going back up to 20/week. Only side effects are dry lips occasionaly and a general itchiness that I didn't experience in my previous courses. Anyway, this is by far the easiest and most effective regimen I have done, just hope I don't run into any long term side effects.

This recent study is reassuring.

i've just had to up mine to 40mg per day. as my body adapted to 30mg and i started to notice a little bit of oil before lunch time. (wake up 6:50, at work by 8am, lunch time is 12pm). if i need to be wiping my brow of oil even only a bit, then its not working right. i'm on 40mg for about 6 days now and thats resolved the issue. i wonder how long it'll last though before i might have to bump up to 50mg

if i do have to. then i may as well bump it straight up to 60 and just do a whole full 6 months of 60mg (excluding what i've done to date to get up to 60).

got to kill this disease man

IMO fuck the side effects. if need be i'll have a liver transplant, i dont care.

i've just had to up mine to 40mg per day. as my body adapted to 30mg and i started to notice a little bit of oil before lunch time. (wake up 6:50, at work by 8am, lunch time is 12pm). if i need to be wiping my brow of oil even only a bit, then its not working right. i'm on 40mg for about 6 days now and thats resolved the issue. i wonder how long it'll last though before i might have to bump up to 50mg

if i do have to. then i may as well bump it straight up to 60 and just do a whole full 6 months of 60mg (excluding what i've done to date to get up to 60).

got to kill this disease man

IMO fuck the side effects. if need be i'll have a liver transplant, i dont care.

Your body shouldn't adapt to Accutane in that way afaik, it should do the opposite as your body also stores it. Make sure you always take it with a fatty meal, as its fat soluble. Also be wary what other vitamins you take alongside it. 40/60mg/day is not an ultra low dose btw, thats a sizeable amount.

Make sure you also eat a healthy diet alongside it, or it will possibly return when you reduce the accutane also.

Edited by wibble

After reading this thread and coming off 4 month Tane cycle (40mg per day for 3 months and then 20Mg per day for 1 month and then about 40Mg per week) I decided to give it a try. 3 weeks after coming off my last tane cycle, my skin started getting oily and I started breaking out again. My acne has always been bad when I'm off tane, I'm lucky to go 1 day without at least 1 zit. Well now it's been 1 week and my skin is perfect. The excess oil is gone, no breakouts. I'm currently taking 1 10mg pill per day and will probably bring that down to 30mg per week soon.

The initial reason that I started lowering my dose on my last tane cycle was because I was running out of pills before my perscription ran out and that's how I found out that even when I took 1 20mg pill per week, my skin was fine. Clearly the derms and doctors here don't have very much experience with accutane and go by the book. When I went to the walk-in clinic to get a perscription for 10MG the doctor told me "That's a very low dose, it won't do anything for you" and he gave me a 20mg/day perscription. I went to the pharmacy and told them that I wanted to lower it to 10mg, so they did ;)

Ive been taking about 10mg a week for almost a year now. It allows me to eat whatever I want and have sex as much as I want while maintaining clear skin. The only side effect that I have is itchy skin all over my body. Its pretty annoying and don't remember it being a factor in my previous courses. Other than that its pretty great and I will probably continue indefinitely, depending on how my labs come back.

Ive been taking about 10mg a week for almost a year now. It allows me to eat whatever I want and have sex as much as I want while maintaining clear skin. The only side effect that I have is itchy skin all over my body. Its pretty annoying and don't remember it being a factor in my previous courses. Other than that its pretty great and I will probably continue indefinitely, depending on how my labs come back.

i'm doing the same, been going since oct 2010 but have been experimenting with different levels of dosage. due to the severity of my problem i cannot go less than 40mg per week i have discovered

40mg (2x 20mg, 1 on tueday and 1 on friday, for example). with this i can almost eat what i want (although i prefer not to as i dont want to get fat lol) and remain totally clear.

i'm 26 now so i don't know how long i will have to do this for (i have tried lowering the dose and it comes back within 2 weeks if i do that), but i'm guessing its going to be late 30s+

i have no side effects other than occasional dry lips... easily treated

i love every day and have had the best 6 months of my life to date, i honestly can't ask for more and dont see how life can get better. i honestly believe it is my clear skin, which in turn has given me the confidence to really be myself and do things i wouldnt previously have done or even could have done. i am not a different person on this low dose accutain, i am who i always was. i wake up every day and feel like i've won the lottery. confident, single, world at my feet, can do anything and go anywhere

so yes i will also be on this indefinately

I have done 3 cycles of 6 months accutane.

18, 20, 22. Each time my skin is amazing for 1 year and then starts to creep back into its old patterns. it seems to me my skin will be bad for some time...

My dermatologist only has 40mg pills and says that's all he can prescribe.

If I took 40mg pill once per month for a year that'd keep acne at bay?

Edited by iknowwhoyouare

No you won't. You will develop bone and joint problems (osteoporosis, hyperostosis, spurs, etc.). I'm speaking from personal experience. There are also a number of long-term studies which document this. I agree it feels good to have control over your life, I was your age when I stated Accutane. Beware of the price you'll pay later; the bone thing is not scaremongering, 2/3rds of long term users develop this. I wish I knew at the time.

I've been doing a ultra low dose of Accutane for well over 6 years now (10mg/day). It works ok, but as soon as I go on a ever lower dose (for instance skipping 3 days a week), I get break-outs.

I've talked to several people and seen several people that used Accutane. All got there acne back as soon as they stopped. Accutane doesn't cure, it's only a suppressor. Also I began to think that using accutane might actually extend the period of having acne. I believe that if I never would have used Accutane, my acne would be long gone. Someone else in my family had the exact same acne at the same age, but is now well over it. I'm still struggling with it... :confused:

I'm never going to go on a higher dose because it's just too much of a pain (in terms of side effects). Also the risks of f*cking up my body (I wonder what I already fucked up after 8 years of Accutane) are some that I don't want to take.

Yes ultra low dose works, but as soon as you stop, your acne is back!

No you won't. You will develop bone and joint problems (osteoporosis, hyperostosis, spurs, etc.). I'm speaking from personal experience. There are also a number of long-term studies which document this. I agree it feels good to have control over your life, I was your age when I stated Accutane. Beware of the price you'll pay later; the bone thing is not scaremongering, 2/3rds of long term users develop this. I wish I knew at the time.

bone problems can be fixed

and maybe you just have weak bones, because i'm big boned and stocky and strong, never had a broken bone in my life. i cant imagine it being an issue for me on a personal level

and anyway, i'd sooner take some minor bone issues than be living in an existence where i have acne. because that is all it is, an existence. when i get married, if my wife will tolerate it then i might come off the accutain, or take less and do whatever i can to control xyz. but i wouldnt in a million years come off of it now, even if i was guaranteed problems in later life. id rather enjoy the best years of my life right now than live in misery.

grind: +1 delusional

million years come off of it now, even if i was guaranteed problems in later life. id rather enjoy the best years of my life right now than live in misery.

my thinking exactly at your age!

I have been considering taking a low dose of accutane (no more than 10mg a day), so that I could avoid most of the bad side effects. I have moderate acne and it has cleared up a bit over the past year. I'm 18 and I have had it for about 8-9 years now, so I'm not sure if it would go away naturally.

I was wondering if taking a low dose regimen of accutane followed up with antibiotics or some over-the-counter treatment would keep my acne from reappearing?

QUOTE (Grind @ Aug 27 2011, 07:18 PM)

grind: +1 delusional

million years come off of it now, even if i was guaranteed problems in later life. id rather enjoy the best years of my life right now than live in misery.

my thinking exactly at your age!

Radikal: how long did you take Accutane for?? I take it you also did the long term use of it correct?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, Im Hector (26yo) I live in Lima-Perú and english is not my first language so i expect to make a lot of mistakes when writing.... XD

well...I have been dealing with bad acne since I was 14 yo... I had acne on my face, on my chest on my back... even on my legs and shoulders.... I tried everything... (Antibiotics, adapalene, benzoil peroxide, etc etc) i even took Isotretinoin 3 times but on low doses (20 mg every day for about five months each treatment aprox).... but sadly, acne and extremely oily skin came back after 6 months... the positive thing is that it was not that bad as it was before... but even if theres just a few pimples on my back, they cause hiperpigmentation since im latin and my skin is darker (Hiperpigmentation spots can be there for years...)

So i felt really depressed when my last isotretinoin course finished and after some months i saw a few pimples ruining my back again... leaving their mark for years.... I thought my problem would be over... Im 26 and Im not a puber anymore.... but WTF this problem came back....

Thats why I start reading abouth long term treatments with isotretinoin, I read a lot of forums where people are doing this ...mostly on their owns, without a doctor prescription.... and they were having good results... even with really low doses like "2mg per day" others on "one 10mg pill per week" ...Then i found some reasearch where they stablished that this micro dose regimen was safe, and I also found that some dermatologist prescribe it.

So i thought, this is my last chance to fight acne, to get a normal life and to become happy again, like i used to be before fucking acne came to my life. I even considered to take another isotretinoin normal regimen and take another and another and another until my acne gives up (Without prescription) . But luckily i found this Microdose regimen....

I bought 60 "20mg" pills and i taking one pill per week since a month ago.... Now my skin is less oily and my acne has desapeared... Finally im seing a light at the end of this damn tunnel... Im gonna take this dose for about a year and if everything goes well im gonna tell my brother to take it too... i feel really bad for him.... he is dealing with the same acne than me... when i see him, its like watching myself years ago... depressed, isolated.... I persuade him to go to the dermatologyst and he gave him isotretinoin... everything is gonna be happy for him until 6 monts after the treatment... when acne and oily skin come back.

Hope this Microdose treatment will help everyone one day, and i hope that our experiences and suffering can help to make this regimen popular, thats the only way traditional medicine can focus on this, research and confirm long term microdose safety!

Bye!

I DID ONE FULL COURSE OF THE 40MG A DAY AND STOPPED IN HALF WAY THROUGH AND MY ACNE NEVER CAME BACK .. ONLY THE OILY SKIN WHICH I HATE AND THE SENSITIVE RED SKIN (WHICH TOTALLY WENT WHEN I WAS ON THE DRUG!!) SO NOW I TAKE 1 20MG A WEEK AND IT REALLY DOES TOTALLY CLEAR YOUR SKIN!! MY LITTLE BROTHER TAKES ONE A MONTH FOR HIS SKIN WHICH DOES THE JOB PERFECTLY,

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, Im Hector (26yo) I live in Lima-Perú and english is not my first language so i expect to make a lot of mistakes when writing.... XD

well...I have been dealing with bad acne since I was 14 yo... I had acne on my face, on my chest on my back... even on my legs and shoulders.... I tried everything... (Antibiotics, adapalene, benzoil peroxide, etc etc) i even took Isotretinoin 3 times but on low doses (20 mg every day for about five months each treatment aprox).... but sadly, acne and extremely oily skin came back after 6 months... the positive thing is that it was not that bad as it was before... but even if theres just a few pimples on my back, they cause hiperpigmentation since im latin and my skin is darker (Hiperpigmentation spots can be there for years...)

So i felt really depressed when my last isotretinoin course finished and after some months i saw a few pimples ruining my back again... leaving their mark for years.... I thought my problem would be over... Im 26 and Im not a puber anymore.... but WTF this problem came back....

Thats why I start reading abouth long term treatments with isotretinoin, I read a lot of forums where people are doing this ...mostly on their owns, without a doctor prescription.... and they were having good results... even with really low doses like "2mg per day" others on "one 10mg pill per week" ...Then i found some reasearch where they stablished that this micro dose regimen was safe, and I also found that some dermatologist prescribe it.

So i thought, this is my last chance to fight acne, to get a normal life and to become happy again, like i used to be before fucking acne came to my life. I even considered to take another isotretinoin normal regimen and take another and another and another until my acne gives up (Without prescription) . But luckily i found this Microdose regimen....

I bought 60 "20mg" pills and i taking one pill per week since a month ago.... Now my skin is less oily and my acne has desapeared... Finally im seing a light at the end of this damn tunnel... Im gonna take this dose for about a year and if everything goes well im gonna tell my brother to take it too... i feel really bad for him.... he is dealing with the same acne than me... when i see him, its like watching myself years ago... depressed, isolated.... I persuade him to go to the dermatologyst and he gave him isotretinoin... everything is gonna be happy for him until 6 monts after the treatment... when acne and oily skin come back.

Hope this Microdose treatment will help everyone one day, and i hope that our experiences and suffering can help to make this regimen popular, thats the only way traditional medicine can focus on this, research and confirm long term microdose safety!

Bye!