Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phred

moisturizers, a good thing?

Hello, I'm new to this site, just registered.

I have a simple question about moisturizers. Iv had pimples now for 6 years, I'm 17. By the time I turned 15 Iv been through two hard accutane cures going for 6 months each, and just before that another cure for just 3 months, and dozens of creams of course... The only thing that worked for me, was the accutane (which also is the strongest cure against pimples according to my skin doctor). It also dried out my skin of course. And when I went of the cure, my skin was dry (and pimple free) for many weeks later on. I had to continue to use the moisturizer, but then I saw my pimples was started to getting back.

I asked my skin doctor about this, and he told me that moisturizers should not be used if you have skin problems. He told me all it does is to block the pores so the skin looks smoother. And I think many of us knows what happens then.

I stopped using my moisturizer and used a pimple cream instead, so my skin didn't look too dry after showers etc. And to my relief, the pimples cooled down.

I've got the same problem as you, if i use moisturiser im screwed and if i dont i look like my face has just died.. it's so frustrating to just have normal skin. I've ordered dan's moisturiser let's see what happens...

yea a lot of moisturizers have wrecked havoc on my skin including complex 15 and sa moisturizers. i now use clinique's daytime shield which is not a moisturizer just a very light lotion-so far its working great. if i ever need to change the next thing i try will be tea tree oil gel.

Some moisturizers can screw your skin yeah, esp. the oil ones. But I find that if I choose carefully they really help. Thing is if you cleanse your face and don't moisturize your skin will be dry and then moisturize itself with lots more sebum and oil. Try aloe gel.

I asked my skin doctor about this, and he told me that moisturizers should not be used if you have skin problems. He told me all it does is to block the pores so the skin looks smoother. And I think many of us knows what happens then.

I stopped using my moisturizer and used a pimple cream instead, so my skin didn't look too dry after showers etc. And to my relief, the pimples cooled down.

What about trying a water based moisturizer? these are a lot lighter and absorb faster and should not be as pore clogging as the oil based ones.

How you moisturize may also help, I find that if I moisturize straight away after cleansing (only moisturize over clean skin) and use only just enough to absorb totally, I don't get the shine, but my face is not dry and it helps with breakouts too. :)

I've never been able to find a moisturizer that doesn't break me out and that doesn't leave my skin looking oily and shiny. I'm currently not using one.