Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Backstory

Alright ive had moderate acne since about age 11 but last year it started to become cystic. Now i have waves of 1 or 2 large cysts that will spring up and then go down and then spring up in like a cycle i havent got the timing down yet but i can roughly predict them coming. Ive been on Minocyclline for like 4 years now so i dont know if that is helping anymore and ive done the usual Toure De Topicals Clindamyacin, BP. and some others before the Derm perscribed me Duac which im using right now along with some retin A micro.

The idea

So a little more than a week ago i was thinking about how i was going to be going to college in a month and i was fantasizing about how nice it would be to have clear skin. That reminded me to take my daily dose of Minocycline and the bottle was empty. I didn't think much of it i would just call in the refill and go pick it up from walgreens in an hour, but alas my refills were empty and my Derm wanted to see me again before he renew my perscription. And as some of you know seeing the derm isn't as easy as "well then i'll see you tomorrow"no he penciled me in somewhere in late august after i was already in classes. I was dismayed because taking my pill every night and every morning had become so natural to me and the only thing that could calm my nerves was to ...... apply some topical medicine. So i rushed to the bathroom to grab my duac and i couldnt find it so becoming more and more hysterical i called my mom and she explained that my sister had knocked it of the counter and my dad had stepped on it spewing the contents onto the floor where from then it was swiffer wet jetted away. She tried to console me by saying it was half empty already and you need a new perscription for it anyways DUN DUN DUN. So not knowing what to do i rushed out to walgreens and picked up all sorts of supplements that i had read about in the natural and holistic forum. Green tea extract, Fish oil, vitamin E and zinc. When i had got home i took the recommended dosage of all of them and started to calm down. Thats when the idea hit me. I had wanted for a while now to see exactly what my medicine was doing for my skin, but i couldnt even come close to considering stopping my treatment. Here was my chance to finally find out what would happen if i just left my acne to its own devices.

The Plan

No Shaving. No Face Touching, No Pimple Popping. The only medicine i would take would be the natural supplements until they ran out. I would continue this until my scheduled Derm appointment which was 4 weeks away. It would be a test of my courage, my self image, my dignity, and most of all my a test of my will. IT WOULD BE AN ADVENTURE INTO THE UNKNOWN.

Results As Of Week 1

This first week has been difficult. after 2 days juicy white heads started appearing on my jawline that would have normally been popped and neosporined just because of their tendency to draw attention more than the flesh colored stuff. A few new cysts have come around my chin and on the sides of my nostrils (these are more painful than visible) and the cysts that i had previously have either stayed or become slighty more inflamed. I got a call to go to a poker game with my friends, but i had to turn it down, because of these disappointing results. My face has started to hurt when i talk or smile because of mini cysts around the corners of my mouth. I hadn't shaved for 3 weeks before this week so i have a nice scraggly beard coming along.

Resolution

Despite these disappointing results i have decided to press on with the original plan and see what time will reveal.

Comment, Questions, And Suggestions are welsome

Good luck! Don't be surprised if it gets worse before better. Coming off of antibiotics ususally consists of a breakout worse than you had orginally. Try to eat as healthy as possible along with those supplements.

I've done this and still do. I don't wash my face with water at all unless it gets dirt on. And i actually mean 'dirt', like mud or paint or something, and even then i'd just try and brush it off with a towel.

I helps but it ain't the complete answer.

It would work if all your internal biology was correct. But then again if your internal biology was correct you could eb clear from scrubbing your face with surfactants thrice daily.

Also, i see no reason why you don't pop whiteheads.

Don't squeeze them just use a pin to create an open pore.

I took mino for a 2/3 months and it never did anything for me at all. Even if it had I'm not sure I would've wanted to be chained to a drug for years.

And if you research up on antibiotics, most of the time they begin to lose their effect after a few months as the bacteria become resistant. That means your dosage is raised. And raised again. And then you are givin' a more powerful drug. Don't know 'bout you, but not this boy!

For a really interesting idea about coming "off the drugs" for good visit the thread in holistic forums "A New Light".

I took mino for a 2/3 months and it never did anything for me at all. Even if it had I'm not sure I would've wanted to be chained to a drug for years.

And if you research up on antibiotics, most of the time they begin to lose their effect after a few months as the bacteria become resistant. That means your dosage is raised. And raised again. And then you are givin' a more powerful drug. Don't know 'bout you, but not this boy!

For a really interesting idea about coming "off the drugs" for good visit the thread in holistic forums "A New Light".

Actually, most of the time dermatologists will put you on a different antibiotic that is in a different family...I've yet to have my dosage raised...

My doc talked about it, but I quit the prescription before that.

The Plan

No Shaving. No Face Touching, No Pimple Popping. The only medicine i would take would be the natural supplements until they ran out. I would continue this until my scheduled Derm appointment which was 4 weeks away. It would be a test of my courage, my self image, my dignity, and most of all my a test of my will. IT WOULD BE AN ADVENTURE INTO THE UNKNOWN.

There's no reason not to put neosporin on them either. Or try a plain aspirin dissolved in a few drops of water. Or Aloe Vera gel.

What about your diet?

Also, my experience is that clear skin happens.

Good luck! I hope it works for you. :)

If you have been on minocycline for 4 years and still get cystic acne, it might not really be acne. It could be gram-negative folliculitis or some other type of folliculitis that minocycline can't help or actually causes. When you go to your dermatologist I would make sure to ask him about this, because if that is the case then more minocycline is not going to help.

why would you stop using the duac too? that can help even if you stop the mino. it is going to be hell when you eventually have to shave that beard.

The reason im not using the duac is because theres no more and i cant get a refill til i go to Derm which is a couple weeks from now which is what this whole thing was about .... NO MEDICINE. And as for the beard im going to go as long as I can without shaving. I'm not picking up any women with my acne as it is so why the hell not sport the Cast away style

Week 2 update

Alright guys im seeing the first signs of improvement which has reinvigorated me in my adventure. I have a reduction in my large cyst as well as most of the little cysts around my mouth have almost disappeared. The white heads have drastically reduced in number. Now i had a few of what looked like papules form right in a perfect trace of my left dimple a the beginning of the week, but those have definetly started to go away.

My beard is finally starting to creep up into the area between my bottom lip and my chin and this is a place that it has never grown before presumably because all the hair follicles were currently occupied. Around my jawline it about 3/4 of inch long and nice and thick and a little thinner and lighter in color around my upper lip. The good thing is that there hasn't been any signs of it causing more acne.

Resolution

Definitely keep going on, because to tell you the truth this is the first time that i really feel like my acne is going away and not just being surpressed. Hopefully next weeks results will be as sucessful as these, and i might just go to college a different man.

Also i have started taking both my doses of fish oil at night and both my doses of green tea extract in the morning. Hopefully it will maximize the effectiveness as well as ward of fish oil breath during the day

See ya next week folks