Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am a 155lb male and just got back from picking up my 1st prescription for 80mg a day accutane. Seems like an awful lot considering my acne really isn't all that bad but that is what my dermatologist recommends so I guess he knows better then me. My acne is mainly on my chin and forehead but I'll occasionally get one on my cheeks or nose (like rudolph lol).

Here is my acne at it's current state, the photo makes it look a bit better then it is. My girlfriend is also about to begin accutane.

post-61358-1186069619_thumb.jpg

I get whiteheads which sucks, average probably 1-3 each morning I wake up but they are usually small and easy to deal with. I hear you aren' t supposed to jack with them when you are on this medicine though cause they won't heal or something but how can you go to class and whatnot w/a bunch of whiteheads? That will be my hardest thing is just letting my face do it's thing.

The dr. recommended:

-carmex or aquaphor ointment for my lips,

-Cera Ve or cetaphil for lotion

-dove unscented soap for body and face wash

Does this sound like a good regime?

Jamie

goodluck and keep us posted on your treatment.. i found that dove soap was really making my face tight..i switched to cetaphil...no better but found that aveeno ultra calming foam cleanser is great......and lots of lip balm....

take care

good luck!!!! :D

as much of a hypocrite as I may be, I think trying to pop them will usually just make it worse... I think I have had the best results with topicals\accutane with not picking\trying to pop anything even if it looks ripe... it always just ends up making it worse and turning it into a scar or big scab... dont pick!!!

:wub:

Good luck sweetie! I'm sooo proud of you, and even more excited for you! I just figured out how to use the Accutane log forum... I was in the blog section, and was wondering why I didn't have any replies! Anyway I'm so proud of you! Congrats on your first dose! I'm only (possibly) 29-30 days behind you and I can't wait! I think you're so perfect already! xoxo

DAY 2

Thank you all, I woke up this morning w/ alot more then usual whiteheads, I count 6....sick...

My lips are already feeling like they're getting more dry then usual despite the ton of water I'm drinking. IT HAS BEGUN lol. Other then that no wierd side effects so far :dance:

See you this afternoon honey, maybe for once I'll actually use some of your chapstick.

How am I supposed to shave? I know you aren't supposed to pop whiteheads but if I shave they will all be opened up and I've got to shave tommorow for sure, looking awfully scragly.

On a side note, g.f. just took me to see Borne Ultimatum, it f*cking rocked. Definately a good movie worth seeing.

Bourne Ultimatum is out already?!??! awesome! I wanna go see that.

Anyways, wanted to say good luck on accutane!!! You're skin doesn't look bad at all. And you're girlfriends skin looks flawless in that pic! But good luck to both of you, it's cute that you guys are going on it together at the same time. Take care!

Bourne Ultimatum is out already?!??! awesome! I wanna go see that.

Anyways, wanted to say good luck on accutane!!! You're skin doesn't look bad at all. And you're girlfriends skin looks flawless in that pic! But good luck to both of you, it's cute that you guys are going on it together at the same time. Take care!

Yeah it was an awesome movie, definately worth the money.

Like I said, that was a picture of my skin on a good day. Today it looks alot crappier, seems like zits have just appeared randomly throughout the day but what's wierd is I can't really feel that they're there unlike before where it'd be sore for a day and then bam.

My girlfriends skin looks good, I agree but she gets little bumps that make the texture of her face bother her when she washes it etc. and we've both battled w/acne since we've known eachother.

I agree though it should be good to go through it w/someone else cause so far it isn't very fun and it's only day 2 lol.

Day 3

I woke up at 8 a.m., wtf is up w/that lol. I am used to waking up at like 10:30-11 or so. I also had lots of new whiteheads yesterday but some have gone down over night. I started my new regime of face wash/lotion that I picked up yesterday at CVS pharmacy.

Face wash: aveeno ultra-calming foaming cleanser

Lotion: Aveeno ultra calming daily moisturizer w/spf 15.

For washing my body: Dove unscented gentle skin.

So far it seems pretty good but it is early to tell.

I just wet shaved this morning when I woke up, probably not the best idea because it cut a few pimples open but it had to be done. I'll have to post some pics up today of my progress later this afternoon.

Good luck with treatment! Judging from your picture, your skin isn't bad at all, I could hardly spot any acne. Unless that picture is misleading I'm actually kind of surprised your derm even put you on accutane. You probably already know this, but it will get worse before it gets better. Don't be surprised if you start getting cysts a few weeks into treatment or start breaking out where you usually don't. My acne is much worse than yours and I'm only on 30 mg's for 8 months. I did accutane once before and was on 60 mgs for 5 months. Your doc probably gave you 80 mgs just so you could bang it out quick because accutane related remission is related to total cumulative dose, not dose per day. The best pieces of advice I could give is to use moisturizer/sunscreen everywhere and don't leave the house without some lipbalm. MY face is burnt just from the 5 10 minutes of sun I get walking around outside, even though I put on spf 15 on in the morning everyday. I learned my lesson and began applying spf 30 and plan to apply it at least twice a day.

DAY 5

So far no horrible initial breakout but I have some sideeffects. I have chapped lips, really itchy eyes, chest pain sometimes, achy back, tired and lethargic and easy to sunburn.....and cranky my girlfriend says. :rolleyes:

Here are some current pictures of my face, I think the skin is clearing despite it being a little bit broken out. The zits are a little bit more red then usual but I haven't touched, popped, scratched or anything a single one.

post-61358-1186451827_thumb.jpg

post-61358-1186451840_thumb.jpg

post-61358-1186451827_thumb.jpg

post-61358-1186451840_thumb.jpg

Day 6

Woke up today w/5 new whiteheads on my chin area. I guess this is the beginning of my initial breakout? I really need to shave my face today too so this sucks. On the bright side, it is taco tuesday and I am feeling mexican for lunch :cool:

Sweetheart, your skin looks great! I had so much fun with you today - thanks again for lunch! I'm so sorry your face is feeling flushed and burned! :redface:

I love you more than Tippy loves her new raw-hide peanut butter bone!

xoxo post-42756-1186522897_thumb.jpg

post-42756-1186522897_thumb.jpg

Day 9

Wow my face is DRY! I had a horrible breakout on day 7 that consisted of tons of whiteheads on my chin area that are finally drying up and starting to calm down. I woke up this morning with 4 goodsized whiteheads on my chin area but my chin/lips/under my nose look all flaky and have lots of dead skin. My lips as well are very chapped. I am using aquaphor before bed and carmex during the day. My face lotion I apply after washing is the aveeno ultra calming daily moisturizer plus spf15. Is this simply not enough or can you not prevent drying out regaurdless of what lotion you use on accutane?

As far as side effects, I have tension in my chest but it comes and goes. I get tired really easily and wake up earlier then usual. I have a tiny rash on my left arm that resembles poison ivy but isn't and refuses to go away :rolleyes: , and of course the dry face, lips, scalp.

It's neat that a couple is going through Accutane together! You guys can support each other quite well. :)

lol aww cute dog I want one.........yes the dog got my attention not you :( don't you hate that how your pet comes before you ! hehe

goodluck though

i noticed that you said you were using dove soap..i would suggest somethiing else like cetaphil cleanser. the soap will really dry you out, that may be part of the dryness problem. but good luck with everything! i start my accutane journey on friday.

i noticed that you said you were using dove soap..i would suggest somethiing else like cetaphil cleanser. the soap will really dry you out, that may be part of the dryness problem. but good luck with everything! i start my accutane journey on friday.

My face lotion I apply after washing is the aveeno ultra calming daily moisturizer plus spf15. Is this simply not enough or can you not prevent drying out regaurdless of what lotion you use on accutane?

My face lotion I apply after washing is the aveeno ultra calming daily moisturizer plus spf15. Is this simply not enough or can you not prevent drying out regaurdless of what lotion you use on accutane?

i'm also on accutane and haven't had that problem... :S sure, after washing my face it gets ridiculously dry, but after applying the moisturizer it feels really good. i'm using A-Derma's Sensiphase and it's BRILLIANT. Seriously, it works really well on me.

btw, don't worry about the breakouts, in two weeks you won't know you ever had them. :D

good luck. ;)

^^

on my first week/week and a half i could almost see the damn pimples growing if i stood in front of the mirror for a while. =O it also scared me a bit even though i knew it was normal, but the good news is that they ALL faded away after a short amount of time - even for me, and after only 3 weeks since the breakout it's impossible to tell that those pimples ever were there!

Jamie your face looked FANTASTIC today! I'm so proud of you! Almost a month in! That's something to be proud about! I'm almost behind you! xoxo

Thanks for the good words of encouragement! Katy you've been awesome making me feel 10x better even when my face looks like a nightmare.

Today is DAY 19 on 80mg a day

I started my senior year of college yesterday and classes are boring already. My face had been absolutely disgusting, rough, red, painful etc. right at the 2 week mark but over the last 2-3 days it has been getting alot better. I definately still have probably 8-12 active pimples but it is better then it looked on the bad initial breakout period. My skin on the bridge of my nose feels really rough to the touch but doesn't look broken out at all. There are lots of blackheads on my nose that have always been there...does that mean that the accutane will clear all them out and make me break out there next?

My skin has a sort of "shine" to it even immediately after washing it when there's no oil, it shines like it's really oily or something. It also feels "rougher" or bumpier when I run my hands on it when washing it but maybe that is normal.

The whole not drinking thing is killing me, I bought some Busch N/A beer and drank a 6 pack of that but it wasn't the same lol. I think I need to start smoking something :teehee: in order not to be so bummed about not drinking, especially w/tailgating time.

DAY 21 3 week mark!

Went swimming laps yesterday w/my girlfriend and felt soooooo tired and out of breath. My face is breaking out a little bit, I have 3 big "pencil eraser" sized red tender bump/zits on my chin, I also have 3 whiteheads I am dieing to pop and get off my damn face but have resisted. I have some red zits on my forehead and probably 1/2 dozen random ones scattered around my face. Overall my g.f. says my skin tone is looking even and clear despite my breakouts. My skin on my nose still feels really rough /scratchy.