Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hallfootball

Low dose Accutane (40mg)

I am on day 43 of Claravis at 40 mg and started with mild persistent acne. My skin is still breaking out my lips are a little chapped but not bad. Shouldnt I already of been clearing? and I dont understand why my Derm kept me on 40 mg for a 2nd month! Anyone have any insight?

I am on day 43 of Claravis at 40 mg and started with mild persistent acne. My skin is still breaking out my lips are a little chapped but not bad. Shouldnt I already of been clearing? and I dont understand why my Derm kept me on 40 mg for a 2nd month! Anyone have any insight?

Anyone? I was on Sotret Month 1 and seemed to be clearing then This month blackheads are coming up and I have small bumps coming up on my cheeck :wacko:

Anyone? I was on Sotret Month 1 and seemed to be clearing then This month blackheads are coming up and I have small bumps coming up on my cheeck :wacko:

40mg/day is more of a standard dose then low. It is really dependent on body weight, but generally speaking...

10mg-30mg = low dose

40mg-60mg = average/moderate dose

60mg+ = high dose

Aside from that, I am also at month 2 and not totally clear yet - just stay positive as it should work in the end.

Hey there-

Derm's consider many things in regards to dosage... Whether your acne is mild-severe, how your monthly lab values turn out, your skin - is it sensitive, thin, do you have Rosacea...., your side effects, etc. Too strong of a dose (over 1mg per KG) can cause severe side effects, including permanent redness/flushing after you stop Accutane. You don't want that. Some stay at very low dose because their skin can't tolerate it. I'm at 20mg for the past 3 months, and now going to 30mg the rest of the course. My acne is moderate, but I have thin skin, and very mild Rosacea.

By the way, if you like Sotret, maybe switching back is an option? My Derm. positively recommends either the Brand (Accutane) or the generic Sotret only. He said Sotret is the best generic in his opinion. Yes, the ingredients in the generics are the same as brand, however, the fillers/coatings are different, which may effect absorption. I called around for pharmacies that carry Sotret - my insurance pays for any generic, and Sotret is generic, but the most expensive one. I didn't have an IB with Sotret and my acne has stopped since month 2. My acne was mild though. It may be coincidental but could make a difference.

Yvette

Hey there-

Derm's consider many things in regards to dosage... Whether your acne is mild-severe, how your monthly lab values turn out, your skin - is it sensitive, thin, do you have Rosacea...., your side effects, etc. Too strong of a dose (over 1mg per KG) can cause severe side effects, including permanent redness/flushing after you stop Accutane. You don't want that. Some stay at very low dose because their skin can't tolerate it. I'm at 20mg for the past 3 months, and now going to 30mg the rest of the course. My acne is moderate, but I have thin skin, and very mild Rosacea.

By the way, if you like Sotret, maybe switching back is an option? My Derm. positively recommends either the Brand (Accutane) or the generic Sotret only. He said Sotret is the best generic in his opinion. Yes, the ingredients in the generics are the same as brand, however, the fillers/coatings are different, which may effect absorption. I called around for pharmacies that carry Sotret - my insurance pays for any generic, and Sotret is generic, but the most expensive one. I didn't have an IB with Sotret and my acne has stopped since month 2. My acne was mild though. It may be coincidental but could make a difference.

Yvette