Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Weedman

I think this site is getting out of control

This is mostly intended for Moderators.

I dunno if anyone has ever brought this up before but i have a very strong feeling that there is a lot Mis-information on this website regarding treatments and i feel that it may be causing a lot of harm to many of the members here.

I mean there is a lot of crap being posted on the site like tape ex-foliation, using Vitamin-E topically, Mega dosing on B5, and those TCA peels that have the potential of destroying your face if your not careful yet everyone here is doing high concentration peels that they get off e-bay at home without realizing how devastating they could be.

Seriously, if you got acne and think its gonna get any better by peeling your skin off with tape then its just stupid, or taking the huge risk of taking a high concentration TCA peel at home. FFS, TCA isn't a joke at all.

This site is becoming potentially very harmful to a lot of people who are desperate for a cure and are willing to try anything to get better but end up making things worst. These DIY remedies are HYPED too much and 99% of the time there risk and harm that they do outweigh hugely the benefits. Plus there is the cost factor of buying all the stuff.

Loads of ppl try these stuff just cause they read about them on here and end up worst off.

I think serious moderation is needed, ppl that come here are desperate for a cure and are experimenting this stuff on them selfs and WILL end up regretting it, i'm not judging anyone, i too did stupid stuff to myself that i got off these boards and now i do regret.

At the very least (before and after) Pics should be a must for these kinds of threads.

I could probably post a thread saying that i dumped my face in battery acid and say what fantastic results i got n bla bla bla n i'm pretty sure some poor person out there would end up trying it just cause he/she didnt know better and was desperate enough to have a go at it.

This is a good site but it can be very very harmful, i think that such threads should not be allowed or as a minimum before n after pics should be posted.

A reply would be appreciated'

Thanks

This is a good concern and I'm glad you brought it up. We do generally keep the battery acid threads out of public view (because you're right, something like that would be very harmful!) but the majority of this website is about people's own personal experimentation. Thus we get some very odd regimens posted here. The really great thing about this site being so personal is that we have thousands of members who can immediatly jump in and let a person know the benefits and dangers of just about any acne treatment. We encourage members to also post documentation of their results - be it research or pictures. Unfortunatly, we can't require that every single regimen have pictures, since not everyone has acess to digital cameras.

Yes fair enough, but still there are some disturbing threads out there, like for example soaking your face in Urine or drinking it.

Now seriously, what effect do you think that can have apart from irritating the skin, maybe permanently or maybe causing damage to your kidneys as they have a lot of excess urea to handle.

Or Using tape to ex-foliate???? Does anyone seriously think that it can be beneficial? cause all it can really do is harm your skin since its already more irritated and tender than a normal persons.

Again all these TCA threads. TCA at higher than 12% should not be used at home, yet ppl are doing so and publicizing it on the org n getting others to try so.

I even remember a thread where someone used sandpaper on their skin. And said they got good results n people tried it, i was one of the stupid ones :/

SandPaper!!!

I'm not saying that you guys aren't doing a good job with the upkeep of the site or anything but still i feel that these thing need to be controlled better.

Maybe a Big Warning notice could be placed in the threads???

dunno, just my 2c worth.

I agree with Elsewhere. Also, it would be extraordinarily impractical for the moderating team to hide any threads in which someone said something like "Yeah, I think ACV is improving my red marks!" and require them to show photo evidence, for example. As with everything else on the internet, caveat emptor. If you're doubtful about something, express your concerns in a thread so that others may know you think something's not right, don't try it, or consult a doctor.

I'm going to agree with the original poster here. Although this is a public forum and people are entitled to their own opinions, and I also do believe that any acne sufferer should exercise due diligence before attempting any regimen on this site.

However, it is a different story when members here are giving medical advice without having a valid license to do so. I am not 100% sure on the laws in your area, but in many states it is illegal to give medical/legal advice if you are not licensed to do so.

I can see both sides of the coin here.

On one hand the mods (who do a superb job btw) cannot be everywhere at once and they are also not doctors or derms. So unless they have tried it themselves whos to say it wouldnt work?

This is a "free" infomation site and it is clearly stated somehwere that "a good deal of skeptisisem should be allowed when on the net"

I a have been a member of this site for 5 years now and i have heard some really great info and i have seen some really bad info. I do agree that maybe something more could be done to filter it out but whos to say somethings won't work?

However i do understand how some people can prey on other peoples desperate needs to cure there acne and this is what i think you gettin at and that is a fair point. But a bit of common sense also has to come into play when dealing with things like this.

Yes fair enough, but still there are some disturbing threads out there, like for example soaking your face in Urine or drinking it.

:lol: C'mon, who really needs to be warned that soaking your face in urine *might* be bullsh*t?

Seriously, though, I think you do have a valid concern about some of the other stuff like high concentrations of TCA. I rarely find such extreme advice here, but I suppose I don't look for it either. However, when I do find it, and as Elsewhere pointed out, I see that other members (if not mods) are pretty quick to post warnings. In any case, you probably overestimate the number of people who are desperate, ignorant, or reckless enough to harm themselves with the advice given in these forums.

Is there any way that the first few posts of each new user are moderated and will not be posted unless approved by a moderator? I'm a member of a few other forums like that, and it's normally only between 5 and 10 posts that you are required to have checked. Then you know what people are introducing initially until you can trust that they are less likely to say anything crazy? I don't know how many new users the site has each day to be able to moderate that number of posts though.

Helen

I would suggest, in addition to the disclaimer that is already in place, the addition of a warning that is displayed to new members as they sign up. Because it is inconvenient to have moderators constantly judging what is acceptable and what is not, it is therefore necessary for the users themselves to execute sensibility and restraint when attempting new and possibly harmful cures. A reminder is necessary, to inform people in states of desperation, that not everything "forumers" post may be in any way helpful, and that additional research should be done, using accurate and reliable sources, before adapting unknown regimens.

I understand that people get become desperate when searching for a cure, but personal responsibility had to start somewhere. If people are willing to use battery acid or sandpaper on their skin without understanding the ramifications of their choice, then they really need to develope an internet filter. A huge part of the internet is stupid, crazy shit. People need to educate themsleves before they try something. Read, read read read THEN try something.

At the end of the day a certain amount of common sense has to come from the user when getting advice from a public forum. Mods can not be held accountable because they are just the same as everyone else. The only difference is, is that can close and delete threads. It is not down to them to make a scientific judgement on what is said.

None of OUR pages suggest using duck tape or anything of the sort. IF another members wants to share their Regimen or their own success then I don't feel either you or I are in a position to tell them it's wrong, that their skin must be too sensitive etc etc it's not really for us to say.

Acne.org message boards is a place for people to share idea's and to learn. Who decides it's too radical? or that it's not a good idea? I'll always post my own personal opinion but unless they were just trolling I'd probably not delete their post because it's their own story, theory, regimen or belief and if they do end up burning their skin or whatever, that's their fault and hopefully others will learn from it.

These boards are about learning not dictating.

actually, not may be bullshit, but may be dangerous. Urea is very toxic if it exceeds a certain quantity in the blood and can cause damage to the internal organs.

None of OUR pages suggest using duck tape or anything of the sort. IF another members wants to share their Regimen or their own success then I don't feel either you or I are in a position to tell them it's wrong, that their skin must be too sensitive etc etc it's not really for us to say.

Acne.org message boards is a place for people to share idea's and to learn. Who decides it's too radical? or that it's not a good idea? I'll always post my own personal opinion but unless they were just trolling I'd probably not delete their post because it's their own story, theory, regimen or belief and if they do end up burning their skin or whatever, that's their fault and hopefully others will learn from it.

These boards are about learning not dictating.

actually, not may be bullshit, but may be dangerous. Urea is very toxic if it exceeds a certain quantity in the blood and can cause damage to the internal organs.

I just had to comment on this for example, another piece of wrong information but I'm not going to delete it. Our skin contains urea, moisturizers contain urea. It's proven drinking piss isn't damaging.

At the end of the day a certain amount of common sense has to come from the user when getting advice from a public forum. Mods can not be held accountable because they are just the same as everyone else. The only difference is, is that can close and delete threads. It is not down to them to make a scientific judgement on what is said.