Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
teh_shredmaster

Can i just take vitamin b-complex insted of 10g of b5?

I dont have any active pimples anymore, but my skin is so oily.

Seriously, my skin looks and FEELS like pizza.

I have used oil control serum/mosturizers but they didn;t really help.

Even BP doesnt lower the oiliness. it just seems like my skin has to

have certain level of oil. Anyways, I heard about b5, but I am a little

concerned with taking 20 pills a day. Also I am worried about vitamin b

deficiency. So I was planning to take vitamin b complex 100, but then I wouldnt

get enough b5 to be effective. well but its better than nothing, would it still have

effect? Or would taking pantethine AND vitamin b complex alright?

Thanks...

Most people take vitamin b-complex in addition to 10g of b5, not as a replacement.

I honestly don't think b5 is worth your time anyway.. I took the 10g for over a month and didn't see any improvements whatsoever.

Look up botchla's regime (or look in my sig), the C&C bp cleanser really helped lower the oilness of my skin.. Its definately worth a try!

B5 could still work for YOU though, shredmaster, so it may be worth a try. However, you probably won't get the best results unless you take a lot of it. See the B5 thread in the Natural/Holistic Forum for more info.

You could also consider using Jojoba oil, and making diet/lifestyle changes. For example, you could try exercising regularly and avoiding certain foods, particularly greasy ones, if you don't already. Fish oil pills and balancing your Omega-3/Omega-6 intake might also help. Again, see the Holistic forum for more info.

As a last resort, there's Accutane. At least some dermatologists are willing to prescribe accutane for oily skin. Mine almost did, then didn't because I wasn't really that oily, and my skin is becoming less oily as I get older anyway.

Regardless of what you decide to do, be sure to keep us posted on your progress.

If you don't have any active pimples I don't think using a b-complex would be all too bad, I doubt there's as much b5 in one complex pill though than you taking the multiple pills.

I don't think it could be all that bad to take that many pills a day since I've seen quite a few people do it this way, but if you are worried about that you could start with a low dose and then gradually increase until your at the maximum dose to take.

I've found using a good toner after you use a facial cleanser helps really well with toning down oil, so if you haven't tried that already I do suggest it. :D I'm sure there's plenty of good toners people could recommend for you, I'm currently using Proactivs toner, and it's wonderful.

Hi there pal, pls read my thread on Pantotenic Acid (aka Vitamin B5) as it will help you a lot, my confidence is getting better by the day and i actually want to go out of the flat now! I read up on Vilante (google it) and decided that for £30 i can get a similar product over the counter at my local health store as it has similar ingredients. This i duly did and got a highish dose of B5 (500mg) where i took two tablets daily, it seems to stem the oil production so much so, that i have no new breakouts, no oilslick face, greasy hair (bad for a gal!) and no lack of confidence now (even got whistled at today!) so please try my advice on the holistic and nutrition thread by me Kazgal as i really need to know if this helps others as it has for me......give it a try and get to the health shop i think you'll be amazed at such a simple solution! let me know how you get on!!

good luck! best wishes....

i combine the B5 after breakfast along with chelated zinc (15mg) and a calcium and vitamin D supplement (cos im a woman and prone to brittle bones!)

If you don't have actives, just oily skin, stick to just fish oil, it will help out your solution greatly

no risk, no mess

I didn't find that cod liver oil capsules did anything for my oilyness, I've started b5, we'll see,...

Hi Beaker and others talking of just taking Vitamin B complex instead of B5. The answer is no because you just dont get the dosage you need from a single tablet, if you want to take them additionally then fine as you will still get the benefits of B6, B12...thiamin, biotin etc. Butt for now stick to the 500mg x 2 daily and see how it goes. once after breakfast and the other around 5ish after a snack. I have had no upset stomach or the runs but everyones different. You will find as my fella did today you are more alert and have more energy too so its def worth a shot. dump all the chemicals youve been putting on the skin and let the skin heal naturally for now.....see how you get on with the health shop alternative first!!

10g is way too low so dont even consider this dose, its a complete waste of time as i tried it!! intially you need a high dose then come down to a dose that keeps the skin clear....

hope it helps...kaz x

keep me posted when you first take the B5 and your progress until you start to notice the oiliness going.....along with a healthy fruit veg and fish balanced diet, nuts seeds, olive oil, avocados are great for the skin too, spinach, eggs.....the more variety the better!! cut out all refined sugars and carbs anything white basically as all the fibre and nutrition has been stripped.

I didn't find that cod liver oil capsules did anything for my oilyness, I've started b5, we'll see,...

Well because it's not cod liver oil you're supposed to take. Also you need to be taking 3 grams of omega 3, not 3 grams of cod liver oil. Also you have to take it for 3 weeks. Chances are you did not follow this correctly :think:

Hi guys instead of asking questions just try the plan i prescribed and re-read the thread - IT WILL HELP YOU! go out today and buy some vitamin B5 (The health store calls it Pantotenic acid thats its correct "science" name but they will know what you mean) but buy the high 500mg tablets (i get 100 tablets for £10) and take 2 of them daily after food along with a nice healthy diet and 2 litres of mineral water (thats all i drink) and the odd cranberry juice...and im pretty much clear dont have many erruptions now at all, and at night im using Sudocrem (a great zinc based healing cream from the pharmacy £3) for the ex spots to get rid of the redness and residue left...

DONT PICK AT THE SKIN (OF COURSE) AS THIS CAN SPREAD GREASE WHICH GETS TRAPPED IN PORES! and could set the cycle of misery off!! keep hair washed each day too if its long and goes over the face.....

and you should be ok.

youve got to see what works for you, i was turning into a skin bore moaning about how bad my skin was, not going out etc etc....then i decided to empower myself with knowledge about why skin gets spotty and the root cause of this and found the solution. no point us feeling low and miserable as there are remedies out there!!

Rather than taking it internally which has been proven to have a very low efficacy rate, i would recomend using it topically. I actually just bought this stuff from cellex-c but i know skin ceuticals makes a similar product. It is called hydra 5 b -complex its pantothenic acid in a hyaluronic acid acid base. its supposed to strengthen ur skin and allow for faster healing. heres the link. read up and ask anything if ud like

http://cellex-c.com/end_user/enhancers/NS-h5b-c.html

10g is way too low so dont even consider this dose, its a complete waste of time as i tried it!! intially you need a high dose then come down to a dose that keeps the skin clear....

Hiya sorry it should have read 500 mg!! oops apologies....blimey that would be a severe overdose wouldnt it? you cant buy that amount anyway....forgot to put the "m" in!

take the two 500mg daily once after breakfast and one after an evening meal and the oil production starts to slow down considerably and the pores become less clogged. Ive been doing this for around a month now and ive noticed a considerable difference in the texture and look of the skin i wish i'd have taken pics for you guys as the texture was awful... one spot went down to be replaced by another it was so depressing (esp being a normally attractive woman!) now im still getting the odd eruption but its lessening and its usually because ive been messing with my face and fiddling!!! Keep hair washed esp if you have a fringe! im eating less sugar and ive read also that a low GI diet really helps too.....stick with my suggestions and let me know how you get on.....!

kaz xx