Notifications
Clear all

Bacne advice (gross pics included)

MemberMember
(@lkjhgfdsa)

Posted : 07/28/2007 8:24 pm

I've had really bad bacne for about two years now (I'm 17). It's bad enough that it's preventing me from taking my shirt off in front of anyone, and I definitely never go to pools, waterparks, beaches, or anything like that.

Below are a few pictures I took of the acne. None of them are very good quality because I took them myself without being able to see what I was taking a picture of (since I was facing the opposite direction), and it doesn't help that my camera is about five years old and wasn't good at the time, but hopefully between the ten of them you'll be able to get some idea of what the acne actually looks like. I think it actually doesn't look as bad in the pics as it does in real life because of the low quality of the camera. Certainly still not fun to look at, however.

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

pic5

pic6

pic7

pic8

pic9

pic10

As you can see, there are a lot of red, scratch-like marks all over the place, tons of scarring and stuff, in addition to the acne itself.

Basically, if anyone has had a bacne problem as bad as mine and has found something to help them, I'd like to know what it was. Would Accutane work? (I haven't ever gone to a real dermatologist so I'd have to wait at least a year for that I assume, I've just gotten my physician to prescribe me some topical gels and some sort of time release antibiotic that doesn't seem to be doing anything at all.)

I'd also like to know if I should be as embarrassed about it as I am. I don't want the answer sugarcoated either, if you think my back is disgusting, PLEASE tell me. I really want to know where I genuinely stand. Your comments won't hurt me in the least, I already think other people would see my acne as really gross.

I've been taking two showers a day for the past six months or so, so that I can scrub my back with acne liquid soap and rinse it off (kind of hard to do with just the sink). Haven't really seen any results from that.

Also, I started using that vinegar treatment suggested in another thread, but I've only been doing that for a couple days and haven't really seen any difference yet. I'll continue to give that a chance though.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who helps out, this problem is really screwing up my whole mindset, and I hope I can find something that will work.

MemberMember
(@le-mois)

Posted : 07/28/2007 9:48 pm

Go buy some Head & Shoulders dandruff shampoo. Doesn't matter what kind as long as the active ingredient is zinc pyrithione. Water it down a bit so it isn't too strong, then put it on your back. Mine was as bad as yours; it's basically clear now.

MemberMember
(@lkjhgfdsa)

Posted : 07/28/2007 10:23 pm

Go buy some Head & Shoulders dandruff shampoo. Doesn't matter what kind as long as the active ingredient is zinc pyrithione. Water it down a bit so it isn't too strong, then put it on your back. Mine was as bad as yours; it's basically clear now.
MemberMember
(@kc_meow)

Posted : 07/29/2007 6:02 am

I definitely don't think you should stop yourself from going out and having a good time! Go to the beach, go to the waterpark, whatever you want. This will resolve itself and you should live your life in the meantime. I know you think it's gross but YOU'RE NOT THE FIRST OR THE LAST person to have acne! Yes, we're all self-conscious but going to have fun might also take your mind off of this. Exercize isn't a bad idea either...

But... I definitely think you need to go see a dermatologist. A physician might give you things to try, but a dermatologist sees rashes and acne all day long - They know their stuff (good ones). It might also NOT be acne, but something different, like a fungal folliculitis that is treatable (and doesn't respond to antibiotics) with something else.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't use antibiotic soaps. Use something neutral for now like cetafil or even ivory bar soap. Wash your clothes in something mild like Ivory snow, just in case.

Change out of sweaty clothes asap - This will all prevent bacteria or fungus from lingering. Take luke-warm showers too, hot water aggravates and makes you sweaty (and stimulates sweat/oil glands)

Drink lots of water - It flushes toxins from your body and helps your skin renew itself.

and get outside, go have fun! You'll be fine!

MemberMember
(@lkjhgfdsa)

Posted : 07/29/2007 11:27 am

Well, the bacne isn't preventing me from having fun in general, just from having fun in ways that involve me from taking my shirt off.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the advice, your suggestions are duly noted.

Also, has anyone with bacne as bad as mine just had it clear up with time, rather than some sort of actual treatment? If so, how long did it take and how old were you when it happened?

MemberMember
(@jon79)

Posted : 07/29/2007 2:51 pm

Hey man that doesnt look too bad at all. a bit of physical conditioning and your ready to go.

At the level its at now it should respond positeively to any treatement. I rate that 1/10 in terms of severity. is just superfical stuff nothing major.

that 1/10 is based on my judgement going from my own perception, dont know how you rate it yourself.

Im making thaat comparison in terms of my own, thats mine in my avatar.

make sure you dont let it esculsate do something now to maintain or improve it.

MemberMember
(@incubus77)

Posted : 07/29/2007 7:01 pm

i tried head and shoulders and that sucks i would wash your body with dial anti-bacterial body wash twice a day. and at night put vinagar on your back

MemberMember
(@lkjhgfdsa)

Posted : 07/30/2007 1:19 am

1/10? No way. I'm fairly certain that if acne-less people saw this in real life, I'd get some stares. I think maybe these pics DO underrepresent the severity of the problem. Oh well.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 07/30/2007 1:33 am

I do note that you do not have a large outbreak in the middle of your back, where it is hard for fingers and hands to reach. You will need to stop messing with and squeezing the acne to help it heal. Adopt a hands-off policy.

Don't take hot showers. Heat can irritate the skin and also strip it of its essential oils.

Use a gentle back scrubber to exfoliate your back with your daily shower. If you scrub too hard or too much, all you're doing is spreading the germs and possibly tearing minute cuts in your skin where more bacteria will enter, and cause more outbreaks.

Go to a dermatologist. The dermatologist can give you more suggestions/prescriptions for what might help your acne.

The idea behind using a dandruff shampoo is that it helps reduce the bacteria on your skin. Using a dandruff shampoo with salicylic acid (SA) also helps as that increases exfoliation, and SA also exfoliates within the pore.

You never leave a dandruff shampoo on the skin except for a few minutes while in the shower. It might cause irritation if you're sensitive to the ingredients. I find selsun blue 2 in 1 a good shampoo and a decent body wash. It has a sulfur derivative in it and that is what works for me.

MemberMember
(@kyle16)

Posted : 07/30/2007 2:17 am

lol at 1/10 well i would not say that possibly a 4 or a 5 , but hey it really isnt all terrible at least you dont have acne all over your face or do you?

MemberMember
(@lkjhgfdsa)

Posted : 07/30/2007 3:27 am

Yeah, I do have a bit of a problem with picking at the acne. I'll try my best to cut that out. Does it really have that big of an impact? (I'm going to try and stop either way, I just for some reason have trouble believing that it could have THAT much of an effect on the hard back skin.)

Are hot showers really bad? What I always do is start hot to open the pores, then wash, then turn it to cold to close the pores back up. I dunno if there's actually any legitimacy to that method, but it's what I do.

If the vinegar isn't working within a couple weeks, I guess I'll try the Head and Shoulders thing.

Thanks for all the suggestions, Wynne!

My facial acne problem is mild most of the time, moderate at worst. It barely bothers me at all compared to the bacne. The bacne definitely really sucks during the summer though.

Question - What is the rule on how long you have to try other things before you get Accutane? A year? And if I got a prescription in May from my physician, could I get an Accutane prescription from a dermatologist next May, or would I have to wait a year from the time he wrote HIS first prescription for me? Also, I've been trying my brother's prescription topical creams for several years, to no avail. Would that make it possible for me to get Accutane, like, now? Or are the regulations pretty strict/inflexible?

MemberMember
(@hecktic)

Posted : 07/30/2007 8:22 am

Yeah, I do have a bit of a problem with picking at the acne. I'll try my best to cut that out. Does it really have that big of an impact? (I'm going to try and stop either way, I just for some reason have trouble believing that it could have THAT much of an effect on the hard back skin.)

Are hot showers really bad? What I always do is start hot to open the pores, then wash, then turn it to cold to close the pores back up. I dunno if there's actually any legitimacy to that method, but it's what I do.

If the vinegar isn't working within a couple weeks, I guess I'll try the Head and Shoulders thing.

Thanks for all the suggestions, Wynne!

My facial acne problem is mild most of the time, moderate at worst. It barely bothers me at all compared to the bacne. The bacne definitely really sucks during the summer though.

Question - What is the rule on how long you have to try other things before you get Accutane? A year? And if I got a prescription in May from my physician, could I get an Accutane prescription from a dermatologist next May, or would I have to wait a year from the time he wrote HIS first prescription for me? Also, I've been trying my brother's prescription topical creams for several years, to no avail. Would that make it possible for me to get Accutane, like, now? Or are the regulations pretty strict/inflexible?

MemberMember
(@lkjhgfdsa)

Posted : 07/30/2007 11:21 am

Well, I'm already trying the vinegar (though not apple cider, I'm using Japanese rice vinegar as the guy who started the vinegar thread said...mostly just because I actually happened to have it in my pantry). I've been doing it for 4 days now I think, it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference. I'll keep going for another week or two, then if it still isn't working I'll give the H&S a try.

I really would just like to take care of this problem permanently at all costs, though, and Accutane seems like it's pretty much the only way to do that (if there a way at all).

Ugh, I wish there was just one solution to this problem that worked for everyone. I hate how everyone's skin reacts to things differently.

MemberMember
(@pwilly)

Posted : 07/30/2007 12:26 pm

Hey lkjhqfdsa

I have bacne as well. Are you not using BP or anything like that??

I am currently using Dettol Antibacterial soap all over body/face morning and night then at night (on my back) i apply 10% glycolic lotion then 5% BP gel and then moisturise my back and arms with boots brand soltan non-pore blocking after sun. I have been doing this regimen for a week now and it has been working well but if after another week it has stopped working/ not working i was thinking about trying the head and shoulders thing.

Would be interested in knowing if you had used the H&S yet and if so how its going as my back not a million miles away from yours

Good luck

MemberMember
(@lkjhgfdsa)

Posted : 07/30/2007 12:30 pm

I used BP for a while, it never really did anything though.

Would be interested in knowing if you had used the H&S yet and if so how its going as my back not a million miles away from yours
MemberMember
(@pwilly)

Posted : 07/30/2007 12:51 pm

LOL sorry about that i was trying to say my back is very similar to yours sow ould have been interested in knowing how the H&S was working out for you but your not doing it yet.

My regimen is workin very well since i have stopped using shower creams and got the dettol antibacterial soap as i read that DIAL antibacterial shower gel was working for most peopl with bacne but im in england and we dont have ot here nor have i found a site that will ship it. Dettol was the closest thing in england i could find to it.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 07/31/2007 1:17 am

I used BP for a while, it never really did anything though.

I haven't used H&S yet...

MemberMember
(@jte23)

Posted : 07/31/2007 7:48 am

Please delete.

MemberMember
(@lkjhgfdsa)

Posted : 07/31/2007 10:59 am

Wynne: I used BP for a very very long time (at least 6 months), and I never saw ANY change at all, for the better or for the worse. I was very consistent with it too; twice a day every day.

jte: I really think the pics don't do it justice. I dunno if it's the lighting, the angle, or what. But don't get me wrong here, I'm well aware that there are A LOT of people who are a lot worse off than I am.

MemberMember
(@mellow_yellow)

Posted : 07/31/2007 11:08 am

I just had to comment on how nice of a shape your back is. Don't know if that helps any, but yeah. ;)

MemberMember
(@lkjhgfdsa)

Posted : 07/31/2007 11:30 am

My back is a nice shape? Wow, can't say I've ever heard that before. Haha, thanks! Any compliments regarding my appearance are good to hear...

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 07/31/2007 11:56 am

Since you gave the BP a good long try, it is likely time to go to a dermatologist.

Remember, hands off! :D

Yes, your back is a nice shape. :)

MemberMember
(@lkjhgfdsa)

Posted : 08/01/2007 1:42 am

If anyone's wondering how the vinegar is going, I dunno if it's helping the acne problem, but it certainly makes my back wet and shiny and smelly.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 08/01/2007 10:15 pm

Did you try Selsun Blue or Head and Shoulders dandruff shampoos yet? Each has different active ingredients and help treat different types of acne. Also, Nizoral is another option. Selsun Blue is terrific for me and my scalp.

Keep us posted. :)

MemberMember
(@darkxghost)

Posted : 08/06/2007 4:44 pm

Your back acne is not bad since it definitely is curable. It's not all big and red and nasty looking like some ppl's acne. And it's not severe as in there isn't big,huge,red clusters of them. View my thread and also ramzeys to get rid of that body acne asap.