Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shesadreamer1

Should I go on Accuntane? (Pictures)

post-61187-1185542823_thumb.jpg

I've tried almost everything... I have had this acne for about 4 years...

seen a dermotologist, gotten pills, cremes, treitoin creme, retin-A, differin, been on proactive, clearpores, acnezine, acv, vitamins, everything...

I'm desperate now and I'm starting to lose hope... I just want to feel beautiful again =[

post-61187-1185542823_thumb.jpg

Hi there -

Your acne looks mild, but if you've tried other topicals without much success, Accutane may be good to try.

I'm at the end of month three also with mild acne (chin) and love Accutane. I'm on low dose 20mg since my acne is mild. I will be going up to 30mg beginning August until the end. I would suggest to start lower since your case is also mild. No active acne since beginning month two and clear smooth skin. Nice!

Good luck in your decision.

My acne is in the same category as you, which is persistant mild/moderate depending on the week. I started on 10mg/daily and am now on 30mg/daily around end of month 2. It is worth talking to your derm about if you have tried everything else.

Good luck.

i don't think you should. you're acne is very mild. accutane would probably make you break out worse. maybe a low dose of accutane if you really have tried EVERYTHING.

what do you mean when you say you've tried 'pills'? did you mean tetracycline or minocycline? if not, try them. amazing.

either way, going on accutane isn't up to you. i doubt your doctor will perscribe it to you. doctors refused to give it to me until i had severe acne. well... good luck anyways!

you're skin is amazing anywayss pshh...

(ps. i actually have tried 'everything' except surgical procedures. at least 5 different creams/gels, accutane, two different antibiotic pills, vitamins, minerals (zinc actually did help a tad, try that!!!), changing my diet for two months and basically every over-the-counter product available.

My acne is returning after accutane, all be it much milder... But i have found light therapy helps keep it at bay...

I say go for it. Your acne is the same as mine (mines a tad worse). I have tried EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING, including antibiotics for like a year and a half, nothing works. Accutane is my last resort and I know it will work. My acne is not severe enough for accutane, but its bad enough to affect me, and seeing as nothing else works I've been put on it.

accutane would probably make you break out worse

I say go for it. Your acne is the same as mine (mines a tad worse). I have tried EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING, including antibiotics for like a year and a half, nothing works. Accutane is my last resort and I know it will work. My acne is not severe enough for accutane, but its bad enough to affect me, and seeing as nothing else works I've been put on it.

accutane would probably make you break out worse

Uhm, what? Accutane is the most proven drug to get rid of acne, how the hell would it make her break up worse? Sure, she might experience the instant breakout (as I'm doing in my first week of taking accutane), but thats just the drug clearing up your pores beneath the surface of your skin. After which hes pretty guaranteed to clear.

You have to ask yourself, does my acne affect my life? If it does, go on accutane. The drug's not as harsh as people make it out to be, it really isnt. And if you do experience those side effects, simply stop taking it.

The "Accutane made it worse" thing is a pretty persistent tale around here, I suspect that its the result of a few outspoken fluke cases combined with people who quit during bad IBs, but I'm not qualified to make that statement.

Anyway, not to minimilize your problem at all (I HATE when people do that with my acne), but if that pic is any indication your skin is probably not nearly bad enough to warrant Accutane (in fact, I'd kill for my skin to look like that, not that that's inclined to make you feel better about it yourself I realize). If you're bound and determined to be rid of it once and for all and can find a doctor who will presbribe Accutane, then yes, go for it, but you'll be putting yourself through a lot if you do, so I'd recommend exhausting all other options first.

Good luck in any case.

Well, here is my opinion-

i struggled for months with weather or not to take accutane. i had what would probably be classified as mild to moderate acne. BUT it affected me enough to where i was willing to take a shot. my derm put me on a dose i wasnt comfortable with, so i made the decision to cut back to 20mg/day and just finishing my sixth month. ive had very few side effects since the second mo. or so, and have been clear since august. im now actually afraid of being done because i have the skin ive always wanted and dont worry about anything-especially oil! if i have to take another course down the road i will, but for now im glad i went low dose first.

Well, here is my opinion-

i struggled for months with weather or not to take accutane. i had what would probably be classified as mild to moderate acne. BUT it affected me enough to where i was willing to take a shot. my derm put me on a dose i wasnt comfortable with, so i made the decision to cut back to 20mg/day and just finishing my sixth month. ive had very few side effects since the second mo. or so, and have been clear since august. im now actually afraid of being done because i have the skin ive always wanted and dont worry about anything-especially oil! if i have to take another course down the road i will, but for now im glad i went low dose first.

I have taken accutane twice. I still have acne, and now have SUPER sensitive skin. If i go in the sun i get all red and splotchy instantly (I've been off accutane for about 8 years) Also, I didn't have to wear glasses before I took the accutane, now I do. AND my lips have been chronically dry ever since. It somewhat improved my acne, but I still struggle with breakouts, enough to have to use retin-a, etc. I am a licensed esthetician, and know quite a bit about different acne treatments. The best line I have found so far is Sage Advice Skin Care @ zerozits.com It is kind of expensive, but I would try this before taking accutane. The BEST advice they give is to ICE your face before applying products. It helps the products penetrate better. (this works also with retin-a, etc.) And it significantly reduces the size of pimples. They also give a list of acne causing ingredients which is very interesting once you start looking at all the ingredients in your cleansers, makeup, etc.

I have seen accutane do remarkable things for peoples skin, but also know a lot of people who have terrible side effects, even years after discontinuing. There is no way to know how your skin will react so just make sure it is something you really want to do and make sure you have a really good dermatologist!

Thats really sissy acne if you ask me lol. Try having zitz all over your face, cysts, scars, all over your back and chest too. Try having very painful acne also, that you can barely stand under the shower head, because the water coming down is to painful on your acne.

I have set a post invisible. Kindly remember that this is not a comparative misery forum. Someone's asking for help regarding his/her acne, give it, not judgement calls on the severity of the acne in question.

Im sorry i think the poster is ridiculous. Your skin is nowhere near as bad as it should be for tane it is for severe scarring acne not ultra mild tiny little spots.

yes try it its wonderful

in less than 30 days your oil will get shut down

you will not produce more sebum and accutane will start working.

you can try a low dose accutane 20 mg a day like me, im mild as you are, but i got some scars, you have been very lucky.

a good reason to be prescribed may be the four consecutives years on acne and trying everything over the counter. thats enough reason for a derm to put you on accutane, and very important if the doctor ask you for a cream, tell him/her you have already try it for months with no results at all. that way they will not put you again into useless regimes which doesn't work for consistent acne sufferers.

cheers

and good luck.

Silver Surfer

I have set a post invisible. Kindly remember that this is not a comparative misery forum. Someone's asking for help regarding his/her acne, give it, not judgement calls on the severity of the acne in question.

I have taken accutane twice. I still have acne, and now have SUPER sensitive skin. If i go in the sun i get all red and splotchy instantly (I've been off accutane for about 8 years) Also, I didn't have to wear glasses before I took the accutane, now I do. AND my lips have been chronically dry ever since. It somewhat improved my acne, but I still struggle with breakouts, enough to have to use retin-a, etc. I am a licensed esthetician, and know quite a bit about different acne treatments. The best line I have found so far is Sage Advice Skin Care @ zerozits.com It is kind of expensive, but I would try this before taking accutane. The BEST advice they give is to ICE your face before applying products. It helps the products penetrate better. (this works also with retin-a, etc.) And it significantly reduces the size of pimples. They also give a list of acne causing ingredients which is very interesting once you start looking at all the ingredients in your cleansers, makeup, etc.

I have seen accutane do remarkable things for peoples skin, but also know a lot of people who have terrible side effects, even years after discontinuing. There is no way to know how your skin will react so just make sure it is something you really want to do and make sure you have a really good dermatologist!

i don't care if you are a licensed esthetician and i hate you promote your products creating fear out of people.

Thanks Wynne and Silver Surfer for the not judging about the "severity" of my acne!

Sorry this post is late.. i dont go on this site too often anymore. ha.

Silver Surfer how is your acne now? Did you finish accutane?

I actually went on accutane everyone for 6 months and my skin cleared up tremendously.. My acne got worse after those pictures, so I think I made a smart choice! My life feels much better, and I can actually walk outside WITHOUT makeup on and with confidence. Its been years since I could do that. I have made an acne diary thing with a few pictures before and after - if anyone is interested, contact me.

Thanksss

DREAMER

=)