Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys;

Since I have had acne and been on accutane ive become quite anxious about going out and interacting with other people. The main problem comes at uni in the tutorials when I habve to sit in a small room with 15 other people and talk, I find it hard and I flush and go bright red because I build myself up before hand getting worried about it.

So I need your help; I'm sure that there are others here who have the same problem, and I need some tips and advice as to how to just chill out and not get worked up about having to speak and about people looking at me so that I can avoid getting a hell red face. Thanks.

I have severe panic disorder and have had it for years. I still havent found a medicine that helps me. Adivan is great but it is very addictive. How about listen to some music?

The trick is to get yourself used to these situations. Since I started working in a very social workplace, I don't tend to flush anymore at all.(btw i was on accutane twice and that has happened to me a lot and didn't stop till i got off it unfortunatelly.)

The trick is to get yourself used to these situations. Since I started working in a very social workplace, I don't tend to flush anymore at all.(btw i was on accutane twice and that has happened to me a lot and didn't stop till i got off it unfortunatelly.)

The trick is to get yourself used to these situations. Since I started working in a very social workplace, I don't tend to flush anymore at all.

Thanks for the comments guys; you sound familiar to me with the heart pumping heaps beforehand. I think I just need to tackle to problem head on and I think that asking questions would be the best way to start, I'm sure that once I get talking my confidence will build up

i highly recommend a friendly speech class such as toastmasters (international organization). it is a great place to practice and get over fear, as members are suportive and its not for a grade or school.

it wont cure social anxiety but it helps you give speeches while controlling your fear

It may sound cliche, but deep breaths help. When you're in a situation that makes you nervous you might start to hyperventilate(not even necessarily the crazy movie-style hyperventilating) and that can make things worse. Also, focusing on breathing normally(or a little deeper than normal) will help get your mind off the panic track. Also, don't avoid the situation. By avoiding situations that make you nervous you convince yourself that there is something to avoided and feared, which can also make it worse.

Like some people suggest, exposure/experience is definitely one of the best way to get around it.

I remember my first presentation at university, I was so nervous that my legs were shaking, sweating and words came out all mumbled. You'll get used to it eventually. It's also important that you're over-sensitive about it if you do happen to muck things up.

I used to be a total recluse, (though it had nothing to do with my face)... I would only talk to the teachers before or after class. (Yes... I was a teacher's pet.)

But when I changed highschools, I met someone else who essentially MADE me talk to him and his friends....I also had applied for a position as a tutor in one of the labs, and that by far.... has been the BEST thing for me. I was forced to talk to the people who needed my help. Forced to talk to them to sign them in, and ask questions, though I deemed it to be rude since I was so much younger than them. But it helped be at least be social for one.

As for the presentations... yea...heh lol. I sucked at that so badly...even though I was completely red, which was natural, I would stutter constantly, every other word.

I have a little bit of an easier time talking in social situations, which is essentially what talking in class was, just from being in groups, whether it be at my current job or my previous job..talking in the labs to a group of students in the class... OH not to mention actually teaching a few sessions... :-

Ironically though, if I know what I'm going to say now, I don't really have that much trouble, I'm just glad when the light shines into my eyes and I can't see anyone. :)

What I do have a problem with though, is stage fright...as in performing....for the past7 or 8 years, I've been like,... idk... I'm not scared to perform, but once I get out there and start playing (I play[ed] piano) my feet/foot and hands start to shake uncontrollably...like you're shivering. I don't know how I do it, but I can play through the song, but trust me, its a sight to see, most definitely....lol

I think its linked to our age, and the ability to have attention concentrated on us.

For me though, I used to perform constantly, recitals and such, but for the past 7 or 8 years, I kinda really can't, unless I'm on stage with someone else... --there's the catch...

Personally, I think the adage, practice makes perfect, would be the perfect thing to do to try and get over it. I think the more exposure you get to anything/everything....would be the best bet. By far that hasn't worked for me for performing, but in social situations (which I deem to be kinda the same) it has. If it hadn't, I wouldn't be where I am today.

Just be careful though, because once you start, its hard to stop--no one can shut me up now :)

sorry its so long you all!

good luck!

There are lots of excellent suggestions above!

Primarily, remember to take long, slow, deep breaths. In through the nose, out through the mouth. When my patients have a panic attack, I have to tell them: Smell the roses and blow out the candles. Corny, I know, but it helps them focus on what to do in the midst of a panic attack.

Practice, practice, practice.

Take a job where you have to meet the public on a daily basis and you'll quickly overcome your fears; I don't mean fast food, but retail sales. Retail sales you have to learn how to sell stuff, think fast, talk slowly and properly, and make sense with what you're telling the customer.

When you get comfortable with group speaking, you might find you actually enjoy it! My biggest presentation so far has been to a work setting of 300 or so employees. Yes, I was nervous, but it was actually fun to teach such a large group. It wasn't a particularly scintillating subject, but I find statistics that scare people into paying me full attention. ;)

Work on making the speech interesting, not just dry facts and figures, but things you think your group might find interesting, something that perhaps pertains to their everyday lives if that is possible.

Hey guys;

Since I have had acne and been on accutane ive become quite anxious about going out and interacting with other people. The main problem comes at uni in the tutorials when I habve to sit in a small room with 15 other people and talk, I find it hard and I flush and go bright red because I build myself up before hand getting worried about it.

So I need your help; I'm sure that there are others here who have the same problem, and I need some tips and advice as to how to just chill out and not get worked up about having to speak and about people looking at me so that I can avoid getting a hell red face. Thanks.

i think its normal for people to get super nervous before speaking in front of lots of people. even people who act confident and look like they're not, really are! and also on a survey they did, most people would rather choose death than speaking in public! haha. but my public speaking class i took was a nightmare cause i was so nervous before every speech, but i guess it was beneficial.

There are lots of excellent suggestions above!

Primarily, remember to take long, slow, deep breaths. In through the nose, out through the mouth. When my patients have a panic attack, I have to tell them: Smell the roses and blow out the candles. Corny, I know, but it helps them focus on what to do in the midst of a panic attack.

I have had times where I would get blushed when I was called on or had to speak in front of a class.

The two things that I found helped me, were making sure I was always ready to be called on, and some sort of breathing relaxation technique as people have stated. As you get better at staying relaxed, test yourself by exposure to situations that would get you anxious.

oh yea, side note btw,..... when you do give a speech or something...

DON'T put your hands behind your back :) ) you'll look like you're in the military... at least I do because it corrects my posture

and

DON'T put your hands in your pockets :)

retail sales is a good place too! anything to help social skills :)

and, even talking to yourself if you know you're going to be called on... thats always good too. I've learned to tell when teachers are gonna call on me, so I'm prepared by that point... if you study them a bit, you'll learn their pattern of teaching & interacting with the kids.... :)

hey,

good luck with speaking in class.

do you have social anxiety in other situations?

tim

I agree, practice a lot. Have friends/family listen to you & give feedback. The more you do it the easier it gets.

Take deep breaths beforehand & remember that the worst that can happen is you'll blow it & get embarrassed & everyone gets embarrassed sometimes. The deep breaths really do help with a pounding heart & shaking too.

I'm definately getting alot better with it, still get nervous sometimes, but now that I have a job that invlolves a decent amount of person to person interaction, and that Ive been going out more and more recently Im finding it all alot easier. Thanks for the advice, anyone who is having probs with social anxiety should read this thread, good stuff :)

I definitely have a huge problem with social anxiety. I've read all the posts in this thread and I can now consider them rationally and say that they contain some good strategies on coping with the anxiety. But every time I am actually put in a stressful situation, I assure you that I am anything but rational. Honestly, I'm like a deer in headlights; I am absolutely bewildered and just want to get the hell out as quickly as possible. I wish there were some way I could calm myself or separate myself from my anxiety before the panic reaction kicked in...

I wish there were some way I could calm myself or separate myself from my anxiety before the panic reaction kicked in...

I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety with depression. My doctor put me on Lexapro which sort of helped, but speech class is a big problem for me. I have a friend that has to take it so I'm going to try to take it with her. The sad part is I was taking it last quarter and doing better, but then my teacher humiliated me in front of the class for no reason which only made it worse so I dropped the class.

I wish there were some way I could calm myself or separate myself from my anxiety before the panic reaction kicked in...

liquor