Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timmytim

triglycerides - how can you keep the level normal?

hello,

how can you try and reduce your triglyceride levels?

you have to take accutane with fatty food. so you can't have a fat free diet.

is there anything you can take?

tim

You don't HAVE to take it with a fatty food. Vitamin A is fat soluble, so it will get into your system quicker with fatty food, but you don't have to go overboard. Taking it with a boiled egg, an avacado or a piece of bread with butter would be sufficient. I have seen this discussed so many times. Being on accutane does not mean that you have to eat fried, greasy, fatty foods every meal of the day. That would be ridiculous. Just eat like you normally would and take the pills with meals.

You don't have to change a healthy diet to an unhealthy one to take Accutane. You don't have to take Accutane with massive amounts of fat. Just a regular normal amount of fat in a regular normal meal is fine. Just don't take it on an empty stomach and you're fine.

A fat-free diet is not a healthy diet. Fats are required for absorption of many vitamins and just normal body functioning.

Any cholesterol/lipid/triglyceride lowering drugs are hard on the liver.

Supplementation while on Accutane is not a necessarily good thing, either, since ALL medications are eliminated by the liver and kidneys. The liver's already working hard to eliminate Accutane, you don't want to add to its burden.

ok thanks

so is there anything i can do?

just have low fat low carb diet?

tim

I cut out the Wendy's jr. bacon cheese burgers (minus the cheese)... cut out the nuggets, cut out the chips (most of it) .. cut out the sugar.......

I started with salads & cesar dressing (which I take my pills with) ... and sometimes I've got spagehtti, or some other left-overs from dinner...

and for breakfast :) cheerios! lol... the honey ones are the bomb! (others are just tasteless) Don't know if this is related though, but my glucose levels were basically... well... not good, so I had to cut out most of my sugar (almost to nil)

but hopefully my new routine will help deduct the points, or something, so I can up my dosage. :)

oh yea, I also [oddly enough] started drinking more water -- LESS SODA.... i've got VERY FEW snakes (ie. sugary stuff) ... and more healthy stuff (almonds w/chocolate) ... [[think baby steps :) ]] and oh yea, protein bars for when I don't find food, or can't leave the office ...

I should know next week how this whole thing has come along, so I'll let you know too, but lay off the grease / sugar / ....etc... get some cheerios! :)

all you can do really (besides taking a statin, which is probably very unnecessary in most cases)is stay away from fatty foods, and exercise. unfortunately though, this may not work to lower the numbers because it's the accutane that is causing the elevation, not your diet. while i was on accutane my triglycerides went from 76 to 303. which is high, but not dangerously high. once you stop the accutane, they will come right back down.

I cut out the Wendy's jr. bacon cheese burgers (minus the cheese)... cut out the nuggets, cut out the chips (most of it) .. cut out the sugar.......

I started with salads & cesar dressing (which I take my pills with) ... and sometimes I've got spagehtti, or some other left-overs from dinner...

and for breakfast :) cheerios! lol... the honey ones are the bomb! (others are just tasteless) Don't know if this is related though, but my glucose levels were basically... well... not good, so I had to cut out most of my sugar (almost to nil)

but hopefully my new routine will help deduct the points, or something, so I can up my dosage. :)

oh yea, I also [oddly enough] started drinking more water -- LESS SODA.... i've got VERY FEW snakes (ie. sugary stuff) ... and more healthy stuff (almonds w/chocolate) ... [[think baby steps :) ]] and oh yea, protein bars for when I don't find food, or can't leave the office ...

I should know next week how this whole thing has come along, so I'll let you know too, but lay off the grease / sugar / ....etc... get some cheerios! :)

You have high blood glucose levels? How high were they? Were you diagnosed with diabetes?

Try to also avoid excessive carbs, not just sugars. Processed sugars do of course cause elevations but carbs in general are the biggest culprit for immediate elevations above normal. ANY food will cause elevated blood sugars, but carbs do so more than others. (Think bread, cereal, potatoes, etc). Cheerios (plain!) are among the better choices for cereals. Oatmeal without tons of sugar is pretty good, too. Honey nut cheerios aren't the best choice. :(

Keep in mind that honey can also elevate blood sugars.

Fat-free dressings frequently have more sugar in them than regular dressing to make up for the missing fat. Check out the carbohydrate grams on the nutrition label.

Hope the above helps you! :D Ask away if you have questions regarding blood sugar.