Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lovelyrose

I'm pregnant and my face is covered with acne

About a year ago, I got horrible hormonal acne and nothing I used helped, and I used almost every topical acne med that was on the shelf. And then I went to the derm and he gave me Retin-a-micro and dual gel. This combination worked wonders on my skin. Within 2 months, I had beautiful, glowy skin. After the 3rd month, I stopped using these lotions and my skin was perfectly fine.

And 6 months later, I've got pregnant and my hormonal acne is coming back! It's the same kind of pimples I used to get last year - big, red, painful ones.

None of the OTC acne medications work on me, so I am debating whether to go to the derm again. I'm not sure what he might prescribe me, as he needs to give me something that is safe during pregnancy. I'm not even sure if its worth the risk of using some prescription medicine while I'm carrying a baby.

Anyone had similar experiences while pregnant? Could you share with me what your derm prescribed you while you were pregnant?

unfortunately, i don't think there is much that is safe to take while pregnant. i only know this because i am only considering getting pregnant (i.e., not trying, but not preventing either), and the only options are things i would have to stop as soon as i am confirmed pregnant. but definitely talk to your doctor. see more details about my ordeal here (first two posts), it may save you from asking questions i've already asked.

I am totally there with you! I am 4 1/2 months pregnanct and feeling pretty low with painful red spots around my chin, temples, ears, chest and back. My skin gradually got worse after stopping Birth Control in may 2006. It is very depressing, as I am not having an easy pregnancy anyway and I wish I looked glowing and happy like they always say that you will. Recently my skin on the back is clearing and it generally looks a little better, I do not want to tempt fate, but perhaps this is the hormones balancing a little. I have also been using a little tea tree oil mixed with my cleanser and moisturiser as the gynae I am seeing here in Italy says that it should be ok. I have not wanted to use anything stronger or mess anymore with my delicate system. I am also attempting to stay calm (difficult) do yoga and drink lots of water.

From what I know a derm will prob prescribe Erythromycin (sp?) which is said to be safe. My gynae also said that Glycolic acid is fine, although I think my skin (which also seems more sensitive) would not cope with it. I am really not sure about Benzoyl peroxide. But if you are having no luck with OTC remedies...

Here in Italy it is currently 30-35 degrees c and I would love to be relaxing at the beach in the shade and enjoying the weather, but I feel like I must cover up. I pray that my skin improves by the time I marry next spring. I cannot even bear to think how it will react to the birth.

Lovelyrose, how many weeks are you, what trimester? They do say it SOMETIMES clears into the second trimester, which I am a month into.. I will let you know if it improves.. Let me know how you get on. Congrats on your pregnancy.

I'm a month into my 2nd trimester too. I'm now 20 weeks.

I went ahead and made an appointment with my derm. Its only at the end of August, so if my skin improves by then, I might cancel the appointment. I really don't want to be taking any other medicines at this moment if I can help it.

Does the tea tree oil help you? I have a little stick of tea tree oil...it looks like a lipstick, but its actually to be applied on the skin. I have been applying that on my pimples for the last 2 weeks, I don't see much of an improvement. Also, I am using a moisturizer that contains AHA...that shoud be safe right?

All the best in your pregnancy! Let's hope that both of us get that pregnancy glow soon!

Hiya,

The tea tree I am using is neat and I am applying small amounts directly to spots, it seems to be helping a little. As far as I know the amount of AHA in moisturiser should be fine, but I think it is a little too harsh for my skin at the moment.

My back is almost completely clear, except for the horrible red marks which need to fade, I am not sure why it is clear, or whether it will stay like this.

I have to admit I feel pretty low today though, even though I am trying to convince myself it will clear, I simply cannot find the power to leave my room as I feel I look bad. My fiance and I live at the moment with his parents and I do not want them to see me without makeup. SIGH

usually if a woman is not glowing during pregnancy and is say looking or feeling "ugly" the old wive's tale is that they're gonna have a girl and all the beauty is going to the baby...so just think...yeah, i may not look so good now but I'm gonna have a happy, healthy and beauitful baby girl!!! :)

p.s. acne breakout is a concern of mine if i ever decide to get pregnant but i've been wanting to adopt for over a decade anyway...:)

Bittermp "usually if a woman is not glowing during pregnancy and is say looking or feeling "ugly" the old wive's tale is that they're gonna have a girl and all the beauty is going to the baby...so just think...yeah, i may not look so good now but I'm gonna have a happy, healthy and beauitful baby girl!! "

Well, my baby is a boy as confirmed by Ultrasound 2 weeks ago. However, here in Italy the old wives tale says that if the mother feels ugly and has some bad skin that it is a boy! Hmm?!?

Bittermp "usually if a woman is not glowing during pregnancy and is say looking or feeling "ugly" the old wive's tale is that they're gonna have a girl and all the beauty is going to the baby...so just think...yeah, i may not look so good now but I'm gonna have a happy, healthy and beauitful baby girl!! "

Well, my baby is a boy as confirmed by Ultrasound 2 weeks ago. However, here in Italy the old wives tale says that if the mother feels ugly and has some bad skin that it is a boy! Hmm?!?