Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
animegirle

My Gruesome Dermabrasion Pictures

JLP: I really could not tell any change to her skin after the procedure. It may have been a combination of factors, her age, she smoked and the dry dressing. She did not have acne scars, hers were caused from a Staph infection (that she got after a breast reduction) that spread to her face. sad.gif It is not horrid or anything, they just bugged her, with makeup you really cannot tell.

Emma: I was so goofy and uninformed at 17 I did not even know any of the risks. #-o I guess ignorance was bliss at that point, Thank God everything turned out well. I never had trouble w/ my pores after dermabrasion.

I'd like to think with all I've had done I'm holding back the hands of time, for awhile anyway. biggrin.gif/

Thank you for the compliment. Believe me, I know about being your own worst critic, I think except for my mom, she is anyone's worst critic.... :-# :-$

Isn't the geisha funny....my dh said she looked like me as well....lol

Unless they end up with adverse outcomes, that would be my guess as well. I had some improvements after the first, but nothing like the improvements after 5.

(Just saw your post.... #-o sorry about the delay in responding)

Hmmm...now that is a tough question. The first one yielded a lot of results b/c my face used to be covered in freckles, but *poof* gone after that first surgery. That really made a big change in the way my face looked. I can remember my face was near perfect right before I had that rotten CO2 done. #-o #-o #-o So that would have been after everything (dermabrasion) wise.

Hi Tarmik,

CO2

1. Reactivated my acne to the point I had to go to the dermatologist.

2. Caused my face to break out in cold sores (even though I was on pre and post-op anti-viral meds) I mean my entire face was covered in cold sores about 2 days post op.

3. Caused some rolling scars.

4. Made my pores appear huge.

5. Caused me to look like a lobster for several months.

For the $$$ I was not a happy camper, not at all.user posted image

Hi Misty smile.gif

We didn't actually get that far yet. I'm seeing him in a month. We have to get rid of the lingering acne first before we get deep into that. I still break-out--RAM alone isn't cutting it. My skin isn't that bad, but he said if this doesn't work he thinks I should go on Accutane...another reason I'm upset. I don't want to do that for many reasons. He doesn't want to do it because of the implications on plastic surgery.

Why do you ask? Are there some you'd recommend?

I just feel(right now) if they're my two options, I'd lean more towards dermabrasion. I'm not sure why...gut instinct is all I can say. It will be a hard choice. I don't want to look back later and say, "I should've left my skin alone." I'd really feel awful if it turned out worse, but I

know I can't go on like this. This is no life. I don't even want to see my friends anymore. I have so many of the bumps. My whole chin is covered in them, plus I have indented scars too. If I only had 5 or so, I wouldn't feel so negatively about my appearance, but I have 25-50 of them. I'm rambling. Sorry. :-#

I had dermabrasion and it did wonders. I had some rolling scars and pits. I first went to a PS that was supposed to do subcision/excision, well he made all these cuts and indents in my face and I was SO depressed, I wasn't the same person after that. My face looked horrible, it was MUCH worse after he got done w/it. I couldn't look at myself. I went and got a dermabrasion a time later, oh, and some punchgraphs on the larger "holes" the PS made, and it looked so much better, I can't even describe it. I then got C02 by this same PS, since he did so good w/the dermabrasion and I was really sorry. He did smooth out some, but left more scars, I now have scars that I didn't have before. But, some of the places look better, so who knows. I'm still looking to do something now to smooth a few of the C02 scars - maybe smoothbeam, don't know. ANYWAY, don't give up. The first PS made a MESS of my face, to the point where if I hadn't had a child at that time, I probably wouldn't have wanted to live, it consumed my every moment. Now, my scars aren't bad except for the bout w/C02, my skin is SOOOO much better. Please hang in there. I recommend dermabrasion, it changed my life!!!

Animegirle,

do you think if you got another dermabrasion it would take care of the damage from the CO2? I think about it sometimes but I just wonder how much the skin can take. I do hear about how repeated procedures can cause enlargement of the pores to the extent of looking orange peelish but I am thinking the large pores are actually scars or damaged skin anyway. I think I asked you this before but do you think repeated procedures cause the skin to be thinner? Or maybe its the thick skinned people who are noticing larger pores from repeated procedures :-k

Hey I am going to shorten your name to girle when I write to you because I always forget how to spell your name and end up having to copy and paste it. How do you pronounce Animegirle?

Thanks Tarmik. Your post gives me hope.

I completely empathize with what you went through. I'm glad you stuck it out and saw good results.

This is going to sound weird, but I get more upset when I look in a mirror that makes me look normal because I know I don't really look like that. It breaks my heart because I look so normal and wish I really looked like that. For a moment I wonder wishfully if they're getting better. It's like a cruel mirage and I'm not good at kidding myself. Of course I get upset when I look at myself in reality based lighting, but it's a different kind of upset.

What you described about the first Dr. is what I fear with doing any procedure...what if it looks worse? I guess everyone has that nagging fear when they undergo a procedure.

Do you know if your PS used a wire or diamond fraise?

How come you never had another dermabrasion(Misty had 5 =D>, lol)

~Emma

Emma: Based on my experience I would do dermabrasion. There are risks, but what in-depth procedure doesn't carry them? I had some active acne when I had all of my dermabrasions, does he want you clear prior? Please hang in there, I know how easy it is to get down. I fight those demons all the time, but I maintain hope. I wish you all the luck in the world.

JLP: My skin is such now that I really don't need the kind of deep procedure like a dermabrasion. That is why I am opting for smoothbeam and topicals, for now at least, lol. :-$ Not sure about the skin being thinner, but I know that it has changed my skin. For example, I used to tan very dark on my face, but that is near impossible now, and the sun causes major breakouts for me (in instances of sunbathing which I don't do anyway....anymore..... :-$ [-X 8-[ ) I can see where the skin might be more sensitive, mine has taken such a beating over the years I think I can tolerate anything! (You can call me Misty by the way..) [Anime: ann-a-may Japanese animation]

hi animegirle:

i have gone spot dermabrasion last dec. 18, as of now the scar of the dermabraded area looks so thin then i develop a skin atrophy, do you think the dermis will level-up the skin after 6 months??how could it help level the skin? does retin-a helps dermis regrow?

Hi, Emmanuel. I didn't have another dermabrasion because of the down time - I work and it's hard to take that time off. I would like to get rid of some of the scarring caused by the C02 (it wasn't all bad - it did help w/some scarring) that's why I'm thinking about smoothbeam - won't interrupt work schedule. If I had the time, I'd probably do dermabrasion again, but no way C02. I'm trying Julie's TCA, trireduction cream and exfol cream and doing a "little" needling in the meantime - not sure if I'm doing it right, but time will tell. I'm gonna try these methods probably into the fall and then at that time look into smoothbeam, and see if folks (like FromChicago) are still happy w/their smoothbeam - if the results are worthwhile and if they remain. Just research your PS real well - ask to see pics of other patients and also ask to see pics that didn't turn out as well as they had hoped. Also ask to talk to other patients that have had it done by that PS. Put your PS's name on this board and see if anyone has heard of him/her. I let my doc give my # to folks that were hesitate so I could talk to them. Good luck. Take care. Tarmik

hi animegirle:

i have gone spot dermabrasion last dec. 18, as of now the scar of the dermabraded area looks so thin then i develop a skin atrophy, do you think the dermis will level-up the skin after 6 months??how could it help level the skin? does retin-a helps dermis regrow?