Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agoraphobia

Digestion problems?

I think I have mild digestion problems that contribute to my acne condition. What are some supplements or things I can do to help this? Any tips would be fantastic. Thanks.

probiotic 30 minutes before every meal. I don't know much about digestive enzymes but those are supposed to be good.

Here are some common foods people have problems digesting:

- Dairy

- Grains

- Legumes

- Gluten

I recommend trying to eliminate one or more of these foods and see how it affects you.

I've been on a digestive rampage of late - you can check out my progress in the last 7 weeks. I'm about 95% clear (it goes up and down, but hasn't hit 100% so far).

There's a million things you can do to improve your digestion before eliminating foods (if you improve your digestion you may not have to remove loads of foods from your diet).

Here's a few ideas

Don't drink with food, leave at least half an hour to an hour between drinking/eating (gives the enzymes in your saliva a chance to help pre digest, and paces the food while it passes through)

Eat smaller meals, but more often (4 meals a day is fairly easy) so you don't overload your digestive system at any time.

Drink plenty of water (preferable filtered, if not boiled then cooled in a fridge) throughout the day (helps food move along at a steady rate amongst other things)

Don't drink many calories (bad way to absorb nutrients, and your saliva gets watered down)

Probiotics - in a light milk drink or light yoghurt (after a lot of study and testing, it appears it's better to take them straight after meals)

Apple cider vinegar or fresh organic lemon in water once a day for increased stomach acid. (you can try taking some acv a bit before each meal if you really want to)

Omega 3 improves gut integrity and decrease inflammation, thereby preventing many digestion problems.

Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc are vital for a strong digestive system.

Some foods high in essential vitamins for the digestive system:

sunflower seeds/almonds (magnesium),

milk,probiotic yoghurt,cheese(calcium, Vitamin K),

pumpkin seeds/pecan nuts (zinc),

cayenne pepper, whole grains (B,E vitamins),

fish (vitamin D, O3),

tomatoes/strawberries/citrus fruits (Vitamin C).

Do some light exercise couple of times a week.

Digestive enzymes should only really be vital if your older, or you eat nothing but cooked foods. Alternatively you could try raw milk, bananas, avocados, seeds, nuts, grapes, grapefruit, apples and other natural foods as rich in food enzymes.

Try and avoid as much of the following as possible

Coffee/Soda (caffeine - napam for the gut!)

Tea

Fruit juice

Alcohol or Fermented foods/drinks

Moldy foods (mushrooms etc)

Peanuts/Peanut Butter

Pasta (not good for digestion, whole grain is better but still poor)

Refined floor (white bread)

Refined sugar

keep processed/junk foods down to a minimum (once, twice a week max)

Good luck - it takes time to see progress but it's well worth it.

- Dairy

- Grains

- Legumes

- Gluten

I recommend trying to eliminate one or more of these foods and see how it affects you.

- Dairy

- Grains

- Legumes

- Gluten

Diet is the best approach in my experience. Pay attention to when you have digestive problems; bloating, stomach pains, diarrhea, whatever. It REALLY helps to keep a journal of what you eat and any symptoms you feel throughout the day, so you can identify trends. If you're always bloated after you eat bread, then cut out grains for even a couple days and see how your digestion responds.

I think my main problem is meals. I basically eat twice a day and the meals are huge. I'm going to try having 4 small meals instead. I drink plenty of water, take my vitamins (no iodine) and also take omega 3 and calcium pills. I'm taking a month break from dairy to see how it affects me. What are probiotics? I'll also try not drinking with my food. How long should I wait before I can drink after a meal? and before a meal?

- Dairy

- Grains

- Legumes

- Gluten

which also happen to be inexpensive calorie-dense foods

I think my main problem is meals. I basically eat twice a day and the meals are huge. I'm going to try having 4 small meals instead. I drink plenty of water, take my vitamins (no iodine) and also take omega 3 and calcium pills. I'm taking a month break from dairy to see how it affects me. What are probiotics? I'll also try not drinking with my food. How long should I wait before I can drink after a meal? and before a meal?

- Dairy

- Grains

- Legumes

- Gluten

Defintely worth a try and it's free! Remember that if you try multiple things at once, you won't know what exactly is helping, but you may find something that helps your acne quicker. Pre/Probiotics foods (usually milk drink or yoghurt) contain gut friendy bacteria/yeast. It helps with digesting food, and helps your natural flora recover somewhat. You can look for non-dairy probiotics but they are probably more expensive, and less effective (such as capsules) because of the delivery system. I'd avoid drinking either side of a meal for atleast half an hour, if not an hour.

Probiotics (primal Defence)

Digestive enzymes

Fresh ginger root (cheap and best) just cut a chunk off and chew with a mouth full of water and spit out the pulp before or after a meal

Eat relaxed and dont do alot of exercise afterwards as the blood flow goes from the bowels to muscles

Dont drink with you meal

Combine a meal with salads as the enzymes in salad help digestion

The best IMO is chewwww really chew the fuck out of food as it such a massive part of digestion