Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
flj^

Out of Options - What To Do Next?

I've had acne for about four years now, and Ive come to the point where prescriptions seem to no longer work. I went through the whole 'normal' regiment of prescription creams and cleansers and then went through all the 'cyclines' (mino, tetra, doxy, maybe one more), and after all of these did little to nothing (and my acne got worse), i got bumped up to accutane. Though my first treatment went well, i relapsed (about a year ago), and after finishing my second treatment of accutane less than two months ago, I have already began to relapse. Needless to say I've blown a lot of my own money on a lot of products and haven't gotten that far, and I've been told by my dermatologist that Im pretty much out of options in terms of drugs.

My acne problem seems to be that I just have really oily skin. When I was actually on accutane, everything was great (aside from the dry lips & skin, not being able to drink, depression, etc). My face stayed nice and dry (not oily), acne on my back and chest disappeared immediately, and my often bad nodular acne on my face went away and everything else slowly faded too. Now that Ive began to relapse again, my skin is just ridiculously oily. Within 3-5 minutes of washing, my face (especially my nose) is just completely saturated with oil, and it seems to be whats causing all the acne. My nose usually gets it the worst, I don't really want to go into it but its just gross.

So my question then is what can I do? I am assuming that it will eventually go away on its own and I just have to wait it out (my mom had it the same way I did, and her's went away in her early twenties). I looked at "The Regimen" and have considered trying it, but im wondering if anyone here has had similar problems or has really oily skin too and knows of something specific that can help me.

[e] I also have a lot of redness on my face, espeically around and on my nose. Even when accutane was taking care of pimples and the like, my skin mostly stayed red in those areas. Is there something separate that can help with redness?

have you thought of low dose accutane, i'm usually not a fan of this type of dosing, but if your acne relapses quickly after a standard course, this may be a good option. you can go on doses as low as 10mg, every other day. this will get rid of the acne with almost no side effects, and you can take it continually for long periods of time (as long as you don't plan on getting pregnant that is.

have you thought of low dose accutane, i'm usually not a fan of this type of dosing, but if your acne relapses quickly after a standard course, this may be a good option. you can go on doses as low as 10mg, every other day. this will get rid of the acne with almost no side effects, and you can take it continually for long periods of time (as long as you don't plan on getting pregnant that is.

no, i've never done this. i've only taken one standard course of accutane. i'm not a fan of it because usually standard courses are more effective (can usually produce long remission, or cure) and you don't have to be on the accutane for a long time, but in your case, the 20 week course isn't cutting it. did you take the accutane with food?

no, i've never done this. i've only taken one standard course of accutane. i'm not a fan of it because usually standard courses are more effective (can usually produce long remission, or cure) and you don't have to be on the accutane for a long time, but in your case, the 20 week course isn't cutting it. did you take the accutane with food?

I've had acne for about four years now, and Ive come to the point where prescriptions seem to no longer work. I went through the whole 'normal' regiment of prescription creams and cleansers and then went through all the 'cyclines' (mino, tetra, doxy, maybe one more), and after all of these did little to nothing (and my acne got worse), i got bumped up to accutane. Though my first treatment went well, i relapsed (about a year ago), and after finishing my second treatment of accutane less than two months ago, I have already began to relapse. Needless to say I've blown a lot of my own money on a lot of products and haven't gotten that far, and I've been told by my dermatologist that Im pretty much out of options in terms of drugs.

My acne problem seems to be that I just have really oily skin. When I was actually on accutane, everything was great (aside from the dry lips & skin, not being able to drink, depression, etc). My face stayed nice and dry (not oily), acne on my back and chest disappeared immediately, and my often bad nodular acne on my face went away and everything else slowly faded too. Now that Ive began to relapse again, my skin is just ridiculously oily. Within 3-5 minutes of washing, my face (especially my nose) is just completely saturated with oil, and it seems to be whats causing all the acne. My nose usually gets it the worst, I don't really want to go into it but its just gross.

So my question then is what can I do? I am assuming that it will eventually go away on its own and I just have to wait it out (my mom had it the same way I did, and her's went away in her early twenties). I looked at "The Regimen" and have considered trying it, but im wondering if anyone here has had similar problems or has really oily skin too and knows of something specific that can help me.

[e] I also have a lot of redness on my face, espeically around and on my nose. Even when accutane was taking care of pimples and the like, my skin mostly stayed red in those areas. Is there something separate that can help with redness?

Well it sounds as if you have tried all the conventional options of medical science. I'm sorry that your derm has given up on you, but then what does he or she care, your derm doesn't have to live with our disease.

I don't know how old you are, but the thick oil and persisent redness around your face suggest to me the possibility that you might have rosacea along with acne (like me). The fact that your derm hasn't thought of it, is in and of itself not remarkable because a lot of them miss that especially if a patient is younger.

The suggestion of going on a low dose of accutane has merit, as it is an effective way of controlling rosacea. Another option might be to find a derm who actually does acne surgery to remove some of the really bad cysts. You also might consider laser treatments. All of these help in some, but again, not in all cases. Yes your acne should have cleared and stayed cleared at least for a while after two accutane regimens, but it didn't...so maybe you have more than acne.

By all means try the regimen promulgated on this site and also try some of the other natural regimens if that doesn't do the trick for you. Remember that whatever you do, in this area, that more than likely you will not get immediate relief, but relief over a long period of time.

Regards,

Joe Zit

Hello,

I actually can't get off this site because of cases like yours.....

If you read my topics and posts, you will see I have a real passion for patients who think they have tried "everything"

Try a couple things on here and take comfort in the fact that there is a passionate doctor/former acne sufferer in new york that can clear any degree of acne without oral medications.....

I'll be here for support if you need.....

If you feel like oiliness is your main problem you may want to look at Vitamin B5. There is a thread pinned about it so i would do a search. Basically it keeps your oil at bay and thus prevents acne. Something to do with co-enzyme a. Like Accutane although obviously not the same thing. It is pretty safe to use (although some people debate this) and a lot of people have had success on it. I have been using it for about 1.5 months now and my acne has reduced but i am unsure if this is due to the B5 and not one of the other thousand things i am using daily. Just a suggestion but i feel your desperation and i know how you feel. There is something out there for you that works, it is just taking you a while to find it :) Hope you find it soon and Good luck

Dr. Neal -

That would be great. Are you paying for the plane ticket and going to explain to my insurance company why I had to fly to NY to see a dr? LOL. I don't mean that as spiteful as it sounded, but offer the kid some advice instead of holding the cookie just out of reach.

Hello,

If you read my topics and posts, you will see I have a real passion for patients who think they have tried "everything"

Try a couple things on here and take comfort in the fact that there is a passionate doctor/former acne sufferer in new york that can clear any degree of acne without oral medications.....

Wow, thanks for the the replies!

I've begun a regular (well 2 days now) face washing regime like the one listed on this site. gekkou - thanks for mentioning that scrub deal, my girlfriend has it and I use it whenever im with her, but i keep forgetting to pick one up for myself. Washing gently in the morning and evening helps a bit with the oil.

I already take a multivitamin and about 2 packs of emergen-c (1000% vitamin C) a day, but I have never actually tried anything specifically for acne. I will definitly check out saw palmetto, extra zinc and b5. I was also told that I would have to wait 6 months before they considered even a low dose accutane treatment.

As far as 'caring' about what other people think about my acne, well I've sort of gotten used to it and really don't try and hide it or be ashamed of it anymore. I know its there and I wish it was gone, but I really have accepted it - Though Im not done fighting it.

I've begun a regular (well 2 days now) face washing regime like the one listed on this site. gekkou - thanks for mentioning that scrub deal, my girlfriend has it and I use it whenever im with her, but i keep forgetting to pick one up for myself. Washing gently in the morning and evening helps a bit with the oil.

I already take a multivitamin and about 2 packs of emergency a day, but I have never actually tried anything specifically for acne. I will definitly check out saw palmetto, extra zinc and b5. I was also told that I would have to wait 6 months before they considered even a low dose accutane treatment.

As far as 'caring' about what other people think about my acne, well I've sort of gotten used to it and really don't try and hide it or be ashamed of it anymore. I know its there and I wish it was gone, but I really have accepted it - Though Im not done fighting it.

I already take a multivitamin and about 2 packs of emergen-c (1000% vitamin C) a day, but I have never actually tried anything specifically for acne. I will definitly check out saw palmetto, extra zinc and b5. I was also told that I would have to wait 6 months before they considered even a low dose accutane treatment.

I've been there....for about ten years I tried product after product, prescription after prescription.....and I've finally decided that, after a second go-around, that Proactiv has done the trick for me......have you ever considered trying it? I know several of my friends who started using it after they found out I had used it, and they cleared up in about a month or two.......

Good luck!

guess I understand your tone...., even if it is a little off-putting...

try to understand stardancer......... I don't give specific dermatologic advice on here for good reason.........

Firstly, its medically unethical for me to give any medical advice without a real evaluation. There is no consequence for you to act in this manner, (except possibly for the receiver of the information). I am bound by a different standard that doesn't allow for any assumptions.

more importantly though, I'm not willing to contribute to the failure spiral that many desperate people here are in right now. I never underestimate the power of acne and I never assume any quick tip will take care of this frustrating problem. Rather than adding to the failure, I'm here to tell people to commit to an attached practitioner who understands the psychological struggle. thats the key for those who mistakenly think they have tried everything.

If your doctor can sleep like a baby while his patient is doing everything he/she is supposed to, and still has a full face of acne after 6 weeks of treatment....., you need to change doctors.

Dr. Neal -

That would be great. Are you paying for the plane ticket and going to explain to my insurance company why I had to fly to NY to see a dr? LOL. I don't mean that as spiteful as it sounded, but offer the kid some advice instead of holding the cookie just out of reach.

Hello,

My friend personally sees a practice that handles only acne not everything else a normal derm sees. He also received information that he can cure his acne without taking anything orally which i found odd.

Seems like neal is making me think twice.

i was just like you at one point (the topic starter). the derm gave up on me, my skin was red (not acne related), i was loaded with zits, etc..what helped for me is to go realatively gentle on my skin... use a saliyc acid wash twice a day then a 2.5 benzoyl peroxide all over my face at night.... and a moisturizer in the morning. and i also take birth control. by going gentle it clered the irritation and the birth control helped my hormones so i produced less oil (only for females...u knew lol). my skin cleared right up... irritation and acne. hope this helps!!

i've been on 3 courses of accutane.

Really? How did they deem that safe? Im not saying it isint, but i've just been told by everyone that two is the limit.

Cleansing pads actually seem to work regarding the oil, depending on your case use them whenever your face feels oily.

Cleansing pads actually seem to work regarding the oil, depending on your case use them whenever your face feels oily.