Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I always thought that I was depressed because of acne but now I'm pretty much clear thanks to DKR and the depression has only gotten worse. I am really quiet and ever since I graduated high school, I haven't been happy. I'm not close with any of my former friends and don't know how to come out of my shell. I hate being so quiet but I just can't change how I am. Back in grade school, I had classes with pretty much all the same kids and played two varsity sports so I had friends as people got to know me even though I didn't say much. Now I go to a huge university, each class is a different set of kids, and I just don't feel I have anything to look forward to. I'm home for summer which makes me feel a little better but I'm still horribly antisocial. Two days ago was my 20th birthday and it was one of the worst days of my life because it made me realize how few friends I have...none of them being really close or best friends. Most of the people that did wish were me happy birthday were people I hardly knew but were kind enough to say it. Going on facebook just depresses me...as I look and see pictures and comments on everyone else pages.

Sports were my life and now that they're over I don't have much to look forward to. Sure I look forward to someday having a wife and family but thats still years off. Even now I meet very few girls that I'm actually interested in that it almost seems hopeless. Any advice on how to deal with depression or how to help me become more social would be appreciated. I've tried antidepressants and they didn't help. Plus I don't think you're suppose to drink while on them and thats something I like to do as it helps me to come out of my shell. The problem is I dont have any friends to drink with, I only usually drink when I tag along with my brothers and their friends.

Guest The Effendi

:comfort: You just sometimes have to do the hard things. You like to be

quiet and in your shell, well don't be. It's the only way, I had to, it's pretty

hard but not impossible :) Okay, I've recommended this book like a million

times and probably no one has read it, but, again: "Feel The Fear And Do It

Anyway" by Susan Jeffers, a really good book. Just try it maybe. :comfort:

:comfort: You just sometimes have to do the hard things. You like to be

quiet and in your shell, well don't be. It's the only way, I had to, it's pretty

hard but not impossible :) Okay, I've recommended this book like a million

times and probably no one has read it, but, again: "Feel The Fear And Do It

Anyway" by Susan Jeffers, a really good book. Just try it maybe. :comfort:

Guest The Effendi
i don't really fear being social. i want to be social. i just never know what to say and don't know how to have fun.

Yeah, it's tough. You just gotta have that aura that happy people have.

My mom used to say if I just pretend to smile, it'll help. Stupidly, it

does lol.gif. People can sense the happiness. You gotta be what you

wanna attract. biggrin.gif

No, acne isn't the cause of my depression, but that is irrelevant. Last time I checked, this board was about non-acne depression.

im jus sayin...u cant really b depressed cuz of acne...if u r then i feel bad for u....u gots a roof over ur head, u eatin, right? whats to be mad about lol...yall really need to straighten up for real

I'm curious as to what exactly that means. I'm nearly 30 years old, having suffered from depression pretty much all of my adult life. If I haven't figured out what's wrong yet, there's no hope... rolleyes.gif

Agreed.

MrCook, this is the Emotional and Psychological Effects of Acne forum - designed specifically so that way people can vent and talk about how their acne affects them emotionally. So when people talk about depression - and especially if it's related to acne - then not only are they are in the right place, they are using this forum exactly as it's supposed to. Please be supportive of that fact.

Thank you.

I know what you mean. Meeting new people at University is a challenge that a lot of people face, especially if you are living at home and not on campus. I went to a University which none of the kids from my high school went to, so it was completely new for me. I was, fortunately, living on campus and got to meet people quite easily.

I would suggest that you join some clubs, groups at school as this is usually the easiest way to meet friends with the same interests.

Good luck.

:comfort:

you sound a lot like me..my face is clear but i havent been this miserable in a while..this whole time i though *if my skin clears up i'll feel great* and it hasn't happened..

I always thought that I was depressed because of acne but now I'm pretty much clear thanks to DKR and the depression has only gotten worse. I am really quiet and ever since I graduated high school, I haven't been happy. I'm not close with any of my former friends and don't know how to come out of my shell. I hate being so quiet but I just can't change how I am. Back in grade school, I had classes with pretty much all the same kids and played two varsity sports so I had friends as people got to know me even though I didn't say much. Now I go to a huge university, each class is a different set of kids, and I just don't feel I have anything to look forward to. I'm home for summer which makes me feel a little better but I'm still horribly antisocial. Two days ago was my 20th birthday and it was one of the worst days of my life because it made me realize how few friends I have...none of them being really close or best friends. Most of the people that did wish were me happy birthday were people I hardly knew but were kind enough to say it. Going on facebook just depresses me...as I look and see pictures and comments on everyone else pages.

Sports were my life and now that they're over I don't have much to look forward to. Sure I look forward to someday having a wife and family but thats still years off. Even now I meet very few girls that I'm actually interested in that it almost seems hopeless. Any advice on how to deal with depression or how to help me become more social would be appreciated. I've tried antidepressants and they didn't help. Plus I don't think you're suppose to drink while on them and thats something I like to do as it helps me to come out of my shell. The problem is I dont have any friends to drink with, I only usually drink when I tag along with my brothers and their friends.

Maybe it's because of the fact that acne isolates you and even afterwards it's gone, the scars are left, and people have gotten used to your avoidant behaviour to the degree that they don't know how to reah you? Depression doesn't have to be because of acne but the later on effects of acne on an individuals social life. Depression and loneliness.

Have you tried hypnotherapy or acupuncture? They deal with depression and low self esteem issues, too. You can try. They may help! Also, think about joining a local group, even if you don't feel like it. There are book groups for example where you discuss about books you've read. Or you can try something like yoga; anything that interests you. This way you can find people that have common things with you and be able to discuss. Good luck!

i don't really fear being social. i want to be social. i just never know what to say and don't know how to have fun.

^ Definitely agree with rodd.

Good advice.

I know it's hard to follow that when you're depressed. But take it in stride. Reward yourselves for the small steps you've taken to come out of your shell.

And as for the drinking, I personally don't think it helps that much. Do social activities that are dry as well. One of my friends I know only goes out boozing and clubbing, which is exciting, I know, but in turn he's pretty much got nothing to say in conversations and stuff because there's nothing to tell. The stories of 'Oh yeah, I was pissed drunk. Hit on some hot chicks. Did/did not get laid' get old.

Good luck on feeling better. Hope some of the advice here helps you out...