Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JMoO

What things do you hate about society?

Everyone must hate something. in fact im willing to bet we all hate a lot of things about it. Im talking the typical western societal life, such as in North America.

Its a society where the individual fights for his/her own survival, has to fight countless expectations at any given age just to be average. Its a society that shoots you down the second you fall a bit off track of any goal, a society that insults you for being even the least bit different than others, etc.

Why though? why must it be so difficult? And i mean, most of us will reach MOST of the expectations society has for us, but even falling short on one of them makes you feel inadequate. I for example can be considered a success in a lot of ways, when it comes to health, education, family background, etc.. but i lack elsewhere, making me feel like absolute crap. Do i deserve it? no, does anyone else deserve to feel like shit for falling short on any expectation? no.

So tell me, what do you dislike about our society? We wouldnt be posting on a board like this if we didnt have issues to deal with.

Ill start it off,

- i hate that we are expected to all go to college and be a success. (Although im well on that track and its not a huge concern for me, it is for others... ones who have less money and are stuck at dead-end jobs cannot do anything about it)

- the fact that society judges you almost entirely on looks before even getting to know you (everyone can see where im going here.. i myself am shy and i have acne.. two horrible combinations)

- we are ridiculed for being a virgin after or around the age of 19+(this must be one of the worst of all, and one that makes me feel like absolute shit every second of every day, i am almost 22, i have a sex drive through the roof not to mention i feel i have a nice looking body and nothing to show for it.. everyone laughs at me and bothers me about it all the time. Not only that, but movies portray it as if its a sin or something.. all the "haha he/she is a virgin!!" just makes me want to punch the directors of the movies))

- we are expected to have a family and 2 kids (ok.. maybe not 2 kids, but a family for sure.. not many people are able to find love, and they end up losing in the end when they want it the most.. while the rest of your cousins/family have began theirs and are happy(this is a huge one, and something that probably would devastate me if i didnt accomplish))

- we are expected to drink/party/"have fun" by going out all the time at around my age (i go out, not that much, and i rarely drink.. and its not bad when i do.. but the fact that its a staple in society to be "cool" pisses me off.. id rather have fun with someone camping or watching a movie than getting drunk and passing out)

- males are expected to be big/strong muscular to be attractive, and females are expected to be thinner and submissive to be attractive (Oh god.. another one that is on everyones mind. Society has fucked us over with magazines/movies/etcetc to make us all want to conform to this ideal. It got me about 2 years ago, and only last year did i begin massive weight training in the hopes to become bigger, gyms are packed to the max these days and its not hard to realize why)

- Everything seems to be about money (markets care about money, not about you, dead end jobs are everywhere with owners who make millions.. society is much too individualistic and most care only for themselves)

ok well this is long enough, i have more but.. eh... i think thats enough :\

if only things were like in tropical rainforests where natives are happy and have everything they need - friendship/food/water/love..happiness...while they work outdoors in the sunshine off the land(ok not everywhere is like that, but we are living in 1st world nations here, cant we learn something from looking at basic human nature for god sakes?)

any thoughts?

Everyone must hate something. in fact im willing to bet we all hate a lot of things about it. Im talking the typical western societal life, such as in North America.

Its a society where the individual fights for his/her own survival, has to fight countless expectations at any given age just to be average. Its a society that shoots you down the second you fall a bit off track of any goal, a society that insults you for being even the least bit different than others, etc.

Why though? why must it be so difficult? And i mean, most of us will reach MOST of the expectations society has for us, but even falling short on one of them makes you feel inadequate. I for example can be considered a success in a lot of ways, when it comes to health, education, family background, etc.. but i lack elsewhere, making me feel like absolute crap. Do i deserve it? no, does anyone else deserve to feel like shit for falling short on any expectation? no.

So tell me, what do you dislike about our society? We wouldnt be posting on a board like this if we didnt have issues to deal with.

Ill start it off,

- i hate that we are expected to all go to college and be a success. (Although im well on that track and its not a huge concern for me, it is for others... ones who have less money and are stuck at dead-end jobs cannot do anything about it)

- the fact that society judges you almost entirely on looks before even getting to know you (everyone can see where im going here.. i myself am shy and i have acne.. two horrible combinations)

- we are ridiculed for being a virgin after or around the age of 19+(this must be one of the worst of all, and one that makes me feel like absolute shit every second of every day, i am almost 22, i have a sex drive through the roof not to mention i feel i have a nice looking body and nothing to show for it.. everyone laughs at me and bothers me about it all the time. Not only that, but movies portray it as if its a sin or something.. all the "haha he/she is a virgin!!" just makes me want to punch the directors of the movies))

- we are expected to have a family and 2 kids (ok.. maybe not 2 kids, but a family for sure.. not many people are able to find love, and they end up losing in the end when they want it the most.. while the rest of your cousins/family have began theirs and are happy(this is a huge one, and something that probably would devastate me if i didnt accomplish))

- we are expected to drink/party/"have fun" by going out all the time at around my age (i go out, not that much, and i rarely drink.. and its not bad when i do.. but the fact that its a staple in society to be "cool" pisses me off.. id rather have fun with someone camping or watching a movie than getting drunk and passing out)

- males are expected to be big/strong muscular to be attractive, and females are expected to be thinner and submissive to be attractive (Oh god.. another one that is on everyones mind. Society has fucked us over with magazines/movies/etcetc to make us all want to conform to this ideal. It got me about 2 years ago, and only last year did i begin massive weight training in the hopes to become bigger, gyms are packed to the max these days and its not hard to realize why)

- Everything seems to be about money (markets care about money, not about you, dead end jobs are everywhere with owners who make millions.. society is much too individualistic and most care only for themselves)

ok well this is long enough, i have more but.. eh... i think thats enough :\

if only things were like in tropical rainforests where natives are happy and have everything they need - friendship/food/water/love..happiness...while they work outdoors in the sunshine off the land(ok not everywhere is like that, but we are living in 1st world nations here, cant we learn something from looking at basic human nature for god sakes?)

any thoughts?

that's a good way to look at things .....

i hate the school part too! i'm still stuck in the "not have fun and bust your ass, so you can have a nice job.. and i don't know what i want to do in life so i'm stressed out about picking a major and making the wrong decision because i don't want to go back to school" phase. i want a vacation so bad!

I try not to let those kinds of these affect me, but inevitably a couple have. Mostly the traditional female/male roles that we are supposed to play and the ridiculous standards of beauty. I've even stopped reading women's magazines because they very shallow and revolve around appealing to men.

The one thing that has affected me in a very drastic way is the notion that thin is 'better.' I'm having a hard time mentally with the small amount of weight I've gained, which means I've moved up to a size two. Logically, I know it's sick...but I'm still a little upset by it. Not to mention the fact that one of my biggest fears is becoming overweight.

:redface:

Guest missyjean130

As a teenager I have the pressure of cliques and the pressure to be pretty enough! These are all the things wrong with society...from a high school environment:

There are so many stereotypes. Blondes are though of as big boobed and really easy to get in bed for example. That's terrible to stereotype a girl like that. Prolly why most guys in high school go for blondes ugh. Of course, since blondes get more attention, all the popular girls like their hair at least highlighted blonde.

I really don't like the skinny look either. The popular girls at school are twigs...I don't really think they're pretty....what ever happened to a more curvey look? why does there have to be specifications to be called pretty?

cliques are what bother me most. You're always labeled something. Different groups generally hate eachother too. The preppy people are thought of as evil whores ( wrong!), gothic people worship satan ( funny but wrong!), anyone who dresses like a rocker has to smoke weed( wrong!). Now there are people who go out of their group to hang around other groups but they mainly stick with "their people".

I think also that people are just not caring about things anymore. So many people don't bother much with school, I heard on the news the other day that a lady was stabbed and taken to the hospital...but they just left her on a table to bleed to death. Why? She did not have insurance! I think there is a lawsuit against them now...

People just walked past her dying body...without caring much.

We're getting used to things that are bad too. The things that are shown on televison, music, etc. Little kids are watching that stuff and I doubt certain shows are helping build their morals and values!

wow the topic started really hit it well. it is exactly what i think at times. the being strong and muscular got to me. i really started working out at age 15.5 and mow i am in my late 19 and i have won the being big and strong battle but not the acne battle. it still continues and what really really really gets me at times is that i have no dam control over it. i still have not found a soution. i'm going for the ala pdt in 1 week and i want to truly believe this is were it ends. man i just think about this more than everything else more than chicks. what really gets to me is that i will not have any control over it either, it might work and it might not. if it dose not work thats it, i will just give up. i'm sick of dealing with this every dam day.

I hate how people always sue over dumb stuff/misunderstandings....I'm worried about this at the moment........I don't like most stereotypes either but sometimes I definately find myself really wanting to be more "Manly" haha...I also don't like how if you don't go out every weekend night and get drunk then you are a loser...I honestly would rather go to a movie or bowling than go to a party full of totally drunk people...its just not me

Actually, I prefer my ladies to be a little plump. Looking like a stick is definetly NOT attractive.

Mmm, I could care less about what society says, but I believe men should be muscular, if not, strong enough to hold his own and protect the things he values.

The whole party thing as well pisses me off. Theres an obnoxious girl in my summer school class who does nothing but flatter her egocentric self about how she drinks. Nobody gives a shit if you drink grapegoose you loser.

This sounds like a fun thread!

I hate that our society worships attention seeking media whores (ie Britney, Lidsney, Paris, Nicole). There's not a day when the news is all over something stupid they did over the week. Honestly, I don't think the masses will break into hysterics if we don't hear about them. Specail Edition even did a cover on the Rehab center they stayed in. Again, I don't think we'll die if we don't hear about. It's sad really. This is why girls are screwing themselves up today with superficial values and materialistic promises. These girls set such unreachable standards for themselves to reach that they end up having breakdowns if their goals aren't completed by a certain age. I remeber on the Tyra show, she interviewed these 5 young teen girls who idolized Paris Hilton and how far would they go to being so called 'accepted'. I couldn't beleive these chicks said that on live television.

I also hate how women have to depicted as whiney, shallow, insipid dolts who can't live without a man for 5 minutes on certain shows. I hate how sex has to be the focus of 100 shows that are out right now.

I hate how guys are depicted as cheating losers who only think about sex every 5 miutes. Come on, not ALL men are like that. That can't be even possible. If that were true, I would've went lesbian already. There are some men that are sensitive, intelligent, deep, artistic, and have more layers to them. I know I've had bad experiences with guys before, but there has to be one that can have an actual conversation without mentioning sex.

I hate that show "Beauty and the Geek." First of all, its like portraying women as stupid and men as intelligent. Why is it that a woman has to be shallow, stupid, and have to learn how to change these damaging qualities, while men are the smart ones who have to change their looks? How will this teach anyone anything?If you don't know that personality outbeats looks by now, then you have no hope. It's saying all women care about are looks and don't care how they want to be treated, as long as the guys hot. As for men, its saying their smart, but you won't get any from any type of girl because you don't look conventionally attractive. Give me a smart shy geek anytime than a hot guy who has the personality of wet lettuce.

Its a society where the individual fights for his/her own survival, has to fight countless expectations at any given age just to be average.

That's a little extreme. "Survival"? Our society is the most well off society history has ever seen. We worry so much less about survival than any other time period. The average person in a 1st world nation has a standard of living greater than that of kings and emperors in centuries past. For all intents and purposes, food magically appears on our tables: how many people have actually worked a field or worried about this year's harvest?

Primitive societies aren't all happy. As I said before, they literally struggle with food production to feed everyone.

That's a little extreme. "Survival"? Our society is the most well off society history has ever seen. We worry so much less about survival than any other time period. The average person in a 1st world nation has a standard of living greater than that of kings and emperors in centuries past. For all intents and purposes, food magically appears on our tables: how many people have actually worked a field or worried about this year's harvest?

What about homeless people?

Or, quite frankly, farmers whose income depends on their harvest?

his/her point was that not many of us worry about those things, although there are exceptions...you missed the point obviously

his/her point was that not many of us worry about those things, although there are exceptions...you missed the point obviously

No, I knew what their point was. I was just messin.

Ok, I'll bite. Love my country, hate my government. For the people, by the people. All we do is vote in the people who will be influenced by the lobbyist with the most cash. Honestly, look at what is going on right now with the war (bring our troops home, we've lost too many already), immigration (like that is ever going to go anywhere), and foreign policy. How many Americans WANTED to end up in the spot we are currently in? And this is not just a rant about Bush, but rather the government as a whole failing to do their jobs.

I hate how guys are depicted as cheating losers who only think about sex every 5 miutes. Come on, not ALL men are like that. That can't be even possible. If that were true, I would've went lesbian already. There are some men that are sensitive, intelligent, deep, artistic, and have more layers to them. I know I've had bad experiences with guys before, but there has to be one that can have an actual conversation without mentioning sex.

I hate that too....it seems like the bar has been set lower & lower for men. If men were idiots who only cared about food, sex, and sleep, then we wouldn't have much of the progress in the world we have (if not morally, at least technologically, medically, etc). It seems like this view is just giving guys an excuse to be assholes. People may think this view elevates women, but it seems almost more chauvinistic to me than past expectations which at least gave more responsibility to men. This view seems to be some sneaky way to control women & shove all the responsibility on them for relationships.

For all intents and purposes, food magically appears on our tables: how many people have actually worked a field or worried about this year's harvest?

We work to earn the currency to buy food. It does not magically appear. Some of us do have gardens in which we grow our own veggies & fruit too. We have so much fruit from our trees that we give it away to friends & neighbors.

I don't worry about a harvest, but I have stress on my job about the market for my industry, because as that goes down then my job is threatened which does threaten my ability to provide for myself. So maybe we don't live off the land directly or completely, but the food does not magically appear.

I hate that too....it seems like the bar has been set lower & lower for men. If men were idiots who only cared about food, sex, and sleep, then we wouldn't have much of the progress in the world we have (if not morally, at least technologically, medically, etc). It seems like this view is just giving guys an excuse to be assholes. People may think this view elevates women, but it seems almost more chauvinistic to me than past expectations which at least gave more responsibility to men. This view seems to be some sneaky way to control women & shove all the responsibility on them for relationships.

I'm glad you agree with my statement. I may complain about men sometimes, but us women do have our faults too. Each gender has their shortcommings, but it seems that men get bashed alot more lately on television. Shows like "King of Queens"(this show is funny though) and "Everybody loves Raymond" perpetuate men as lazy, selfish, oversexed, simpletons and women as cold hearted, manipulative bitches. To me, both genders have it rough, but men may have more problems due to their macho like exterior. The 'ole "men aren't allowed to show emotion because it makes them appear as weak" causes some men to internalize their anger, causing more problems in the long run for them in other relationships. I'm all for women feeling ellevated, but not at the expense of men. Also, women aren't being perpetuated any better. It's like women have to do something stupid to get any type of attention (ie Britney, Nicole, Paris; Beauty and the Geek). It's the old motto, "women should be seen but not heard" mantra all over again. I mean, I detest those chicks too, but come on, they must have done something that has helped society in one way. Why is it that people only pay attention to the bad and never the good? Anyway, BOTH sexes contribute something to the world. :clap:

Its a society where the individual fights for his/her own survival, has to fight countless expectations at any given age just to be average.

Primitive societies aren't all happy. As I said before, they literally struggle with food production to feed everyone.

I never meant survival in that sense. I mean.. looking biologically and all, they say we are here for two purposes - survival/reproduction. Maybe thats where i got my analogy from, i do believe in that kinda stuff though. It shows us what human nature is like, what motivates us, why we do what we do etc.. i can infer alot of things i see today from our basic instincts.

Anyway.. a high standard of living in our society means absolutely nothing, people are getting MORE depressed these days than in the past. We can survive, but alot of people are not living happy. By 2020 depression is predicted to be the 2nd highest sickness after heart disease. Thats basically the idea i had in mind in the thread, failing to live up to any expectation society can be devastating, and the thought of failing causes stress, then the stress makes you depressed.

i never said primitive societies are all happy, but the ones that are(which are not few) can teach us something. We are social creatures that need simple things in life.. all they have is each other, and thats ALL they need, not so much choice and so many expectations.

by the way Ameria2008 and Siouxsie - i agree 100% about how society depicts men and women. Im quite sure as hell that im not a lazy male who wants only food/sex/sleep. I do want those things obviously.., but i also want love/friendship from a relationship, intelligent conversations, fun, etc. Society makes me feel like an outcast for being shy, not very outgoing and not someone who goes out trying to sweep girls off their feet. I cannot say which sex has it more difficult because obviously im not female and i dont know the other side of the coin, but from this side of it - its hard! :|

I can't stand that in the media, men can be hideous/fat/scrawny and still be portrayed in a positive light (funny/athletic/intelligent/sidekick/smarta$$/rich/whatever) -- but in order for women to have a positive role, she must be beautiful. It's not fair! Guys can be really ugly but still have personality and appeal, but you won't see an ugly girl in a movie or TV show unless she's playing an annoying/villainous character. Women are completely objectified in the media. We're seen as prizes, sexy, and worthless unless you're attractive. We women are so self-conscious because of the standards that've been beaten into us by the media that millions of us suffer from eating disorders and even more of us feel embarrassed to show our faces without wearing make-up. That makes me SO MAD.

I also agree that women's magazines are crap. They're full of articles on how to be attractive to men -- and that insults me. I'm a person, not an object, and I'm worth more than just my body. It would be cool to find a women's magazine that catered to women and real issues that women face in society -- real, strong women in the world that can be our role-models and show us how to respect our minds and bodies, instead of ravishing them just to feel attractive because we're taught that without looks we're worthless.

I didn't have a problem with any of this back when I had a clear face and had no problem in my romance department, so maybe it's just my acne that's making me bitter...

you know JMoO, you are a bright writer.

i understand what you are feeling.

although it might be skeptical, because i am only 16.

i endure just must pain in life; as yours.

keep up the great work with your true feelings.

what society dont want to loose right now is people like you/

thanks for the compliment, only problem is society doesnt accept people like me who say so many things about it is wrong. All i do is try and play the game of society and act like im a part of it.

btw Jess - i agree, im absolutely 100% sick of movies these days. I watch movies almost like a fourth as much as i used to simply because they are all nonsense. They are all stereotypical in so many ways, and this is what has ruined the minds of young people in western society. But dont worry, men are not all just people who look at women for only their bodies, i know i certainly dont. Lets just hope the generations of kids behind us dont all start believing the crap we see in these movies, because i swear they're already f'ed up as is.

I also agree that women's magazines are crap. They're full of articles on how to be attractive to men -- and that insults me. I'm a person, not an object, and I'm worth more than just my body. It would be cool to find a women's magazine that catered to women and real issues that women face in society -- real, strong women in the world that can be our role-models and show us how to respect our minds and bodies, instead of ravishing them just to feel attractive because we're taught that without looks we're worthless.

Cheer up hun, its the same for guys. Mens Health, GQ to name a few. Whereas you have to appeal visually, we have to have an interesting, funny, attractive, confident, bold personality for us to be appealing and that can't happen at the flick of a switch. Just as some of you aren't attractive, some of guys dont display these characteristics. Its not all one-sided.

I agree with pretty much everything in this thread. Our soceity is f#$ked up to to the max and we have only the media to blame. The real, real problem is, that people who understand how mindf#$ked they are few and far between and even though some of us complain about all of this, today or tomorrow, you too, will continue reading your beauty magazines :confused: .

Conform or fade out, thats the sad truth I'm afraid.

i dislike how you *have* to look a certain way to be considered beautiful.

Cheer up hun, its the same for guys. Mens Health, GQ to name a few. Whereas you have to appeal visually, we have to have an interesting, funny, attractive, confident, bold personality for us to be appealing and that can't happen at the flick of a switch. Just as some of you aren't attractive, some of guys dont display these characteristics. Its not all one-sided.

I agree with pretty much everything in this thread. Our soceity is f#$ked up to to the max and we have only the media to blame. The real, real problem is, that people who understand how mindf#$ked they are few and far between and even though some of us complain about all of this, today or tomorrow, you too, will continue reading your beauty magazines :confused: .

Conform or fade out, thats the sad truth I'm afraid.

funny eh, but its true. Men need to have a successful career, look good, be charming, be attractive, confident all at the same time. Well ok, they dont HAVE to be, but that scores them high on the likability scale of a female(at least according to societal standards that the media portrays etc).

Though..im not sure if i hate that more than the fact that females are judged VERY highly on attractiveness before anything deeper(at least.... again as portrayed by the media and the stereotypical shit we have ingrained in our heads). One could be born attractive and her whole life could be set for her like this.

men have like 10 scales to deal with, but females have one which is gigantic to deal with. I really hate both. This is ALL related to why depression will be skyrocketing in the next 10-15 years, and alot of it is gonna be people 15-30 years old.

The good thing is though about all of this is that i think alot of people agree with all of this stuff, they just dont admit it and follow blindly like the rest of society. In fact, this would all be a great conversation we should all start with someone if you want to open up and get to know them, i bet EVERYONE has this in common and it would make for a great way to talk to anyone. (hopefully they get by the acne that we all may or may not have) :\