Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Listener

List of thing that could be different about today's society

Okely dokely, we can't prove for 100% definite that acne was not present thousands of years ago but most research has lent towards it being virtually unknown in certain non-civilised tribes, and also not present in paleolithic times.

From a scientific standpoint it seems ridiculous that it is normal for humans to get acne in the teen years. A condition that makes the person appear physically repulsive to the opposite sex at the time when they are designed to be most sexually active.

It looks bad because it looks like a disease. If another human is diseased then it is in your best interest to stay away from them, hence being 'disgusted' by the appearance of acne.

Anyhoo 100s of people visit these forums so i think we could build up a nice list of things that are different today then they were a long time ago.

They can be as random as you want, as unlikely as you want, as nonsensical as you want... just aslong as we get some ideas down.

Please just add your ideas in list form and at the bottom of list give any critiques of previous suggestions that you disagree with.

Eating Dairy

Hormones in meat

Preservatives in food

E-numbers in food

Chemically altered water supply

Pollutants in air

High carbohydrate diet

Not getting fresh air

Too much bad fat in food

Mineral deficiencies caused by phytic acid in bread etc..

Mineral deficiencies because we are missing out something important in our diet.

We don't eat as many plants as in paleolithic times

We eat things today that could only be eaten cooked e.g. potatoes

Also if you put down a point that you have a really good reason to believe then let us know. e.g. you experienced clear skin in the himalayan mountains when you feasted on goat testicles the entire time therefore you believe our diet is deficient in testicles.

Interesting topic, I've even thought of this before...

1. Spend most of time hunting/gathering food, getting lots of exercise

2. More sleep, at least nine hours

3. Too busy hunting, less time thinking = less stress

then there are all the factors you mentioned which probably do add up to having no acne.

I was just watching "amazons hidden tribe" on nation geographic channel..

and there was this tribe of about 30 people I think.

They all hunted monkeys and cooked them with fire...

Also they ate cherries, not cherries but it was round, musta been some type of fruit..

Also they used something made form these things that was like a paste... and they ate them and vomited them out.. to.. clean their insides.

Well anyway none of them had acne what so ever, no adult acne, no teen acne, no back acne. none.

Oh yea and they were all completely naked, women too!

I think this thread should also be about

"groups of people who have never had acne and what they ate"

None of these tribes people, ive seen african tribes - indian - amazon, none of them had acne...

none of them ate foods with preservatives or anything like that. Just completely natural food.

Acne was definetly "human" made.

Scientists have no common sense sometimes, they think acne is normal to have in the teen years. It is i agree but not to everyone, only to people who's parents had ate "artificial food, had drugs, so it gets passed on from generation to generation. Soon the entire civilized world eats these "artificial processed food" and keeps feeding the acne bacteria. or whatever. So because "alot of people" have acne, scientists think its normal. It's not.

I guarantee you if an entire generation of people like the tribes people never had no drugs or creams or processed foods etc etc. They will never develop acne. They could get sick from eating.. spoiled food maybe, but acne? unlikely.

Finally, if we were all to eat "completely natural food" it DOES NOT mean we wont have acne. It will still take allllllong time to get the toxins we have in ourselves out... It could take decades, generations, but I do think eventually either your grandson or his grandson will not have ONE pimple in his entire life.

/

What?? People should be sexually active when their teens? That's funny cause your body actually isn't fully adult till around 18. No wonder theres so many stupid teenagers with diseases and getting pregnant.

Finally, if we were all to eat "completely natural food" it DOES NOT mean we wont have acne. It will still take allllllong time to get the toxins we have in ourselves out... It could take decades, generations, but I do think eventually either your grandson or his grandson will not have ONE pimple in his entire life.

I also imagine that life expectancy was shorter, thus you'd have children much earlier.

Another thing, people are probably healthiest in their most natural surroundings via survival of the fittest, evolutionary biology theories...thus, if you're a native living in a tribe in Africa, eating natural berries from North America might make you sick or give you acne since these are not the foods that have been around to best suit your genes. Idk if that was very clear, but hopefully you guys get the idea.

Okely dokely, we can't prove for 100% definite that acne was not present thousands of years ago but most research has lent towards it being virtually unknown in certain non-civilised tribes, and also not present in paleolithic times.

From a scientific standpoint it seems ridiculous that it is normal for humans to get acne in the teen years. A condition that makes the person appear physically repulsive to the opposite sex at the time when they are designed to be most sexually active.

It looks bad because it looks like a disease. If another human is diseased then it is in your best interest to stay away from them, hence being 'disgusted' by the appearance of acne.

Anyhoo 100s of people visit these forums so i think we could build up a nice list of things that are different today then they were a long time ago.

They can be as random as you want, as unlikely as you want, as nonsensical as you want... just aslong as we get some ideas down.

Please just add your ideas in list form and at the bottom of list give any critiques of previous suggestions that you disagree with.

Eating Dairy

Hormones in meat

Preservatives in food

E-numbers in food

Chemically altered water supply

Pollutants in air

High carbohydrate diet

Not getting fresh air

Too much bad fat in food

Mineral deficiencies caused by phytic acid in bread etc..

Mineral deficiencies because we are missing out something important in our diet.

We don't eat as many plants as in paleolithic times

We eat things today that could only be eaten cooked e.g. potatoes

Also if you put down a point that you have a really good reason to believe then let us know. e.g. you experienced clear skin in the himalayan mountains when you feasted on goat testicles the entire time therefore you believe our diet is deficient in testicles.

It's an interesting topic. I've heard of people who've gone on all all-natural diet for rather a long time and witnessed no improvement in their skin, and I've personally known some who ended up with the most lovely, beautiful skin you could imagine even though they had to survive on papayas. Sod that, I love my toast.

I think air pollution plays a good part too. My friend recently moved from London to the French coast and her cystic acne cleared up within a few weeks.

I wonder! Another thing to consider is how long this acne-free world continued on for, and where the cut-off point lies where the society in question started to incorporate things like grains into their diet and acne became a normal thing. For example, I've heard of acne being mentioned in texts from chaps like Hippocrates and the like, old Greek/Roman physicians.

I think air pollution plays a good part too. My friend recently moved from London to the French coast and her cystic acne cleared up within a few weeks.

Interesting thoughts so far.

What?? People should be sexually active when their teens? That's funny cause your body actually isn't fully adult till around 18. No wonder theres so many stupid teenagers with diseases and getting pregnant.

Are you saying that we'd pass on these "toxins" to our offspring? I'm not sure I understand.

I think it's more helpful to just look at what's changed in the last 50 years or so when all this heart disease, diabetes, tooth decay and acne exploded. We can't all go back to being hunter/gatherers. It's pretty difficult just to avoid grain fed and hormone and antibiotic filled meat, eggs and dairy. But we can stop eating diets almost entirely of processed foods, sugar and trans fats, while getting no fiber, no phytonutrients and no exercise.

And there are plenty of perfectly healthy and observable cultures where they eat tons of things demonized on these boards like dairy, grains, nuts and legumes.

It's a myth that humans evolved eating a diet high in meat and haven't adapted to agricultural products. Humans migrated into different parts of the world with different climates and different foods and have adapted to all kinds of diets. And agriculture wasn't invented, and then people started eating grains and legumes. Agriculture evolved because people ate these foods.

Are you saying that we'd pass on these "toxins" to our offspring? I'm not sure I understand.

Well, i went to south France for a week and noticed quite a few teens had acne. I was starting to think maybe lack of sun was a factor but i guess not a major one. I think they have quite a lot of acne because they eat alot of carbs. They've always got a baguette in their hands.

I'm starting to think it might be because we get a whole load more calories then in ancient times.

Well, i went to south France for a week and noticed quite a few teens had acne. I was starting to think maybe lack of sun was a factor but i guess not a major one. I think they have quite a lot of acne because they eat alot of carbs. They've always got a baguette in their hands.

I'm starting to think it might be because we get a whole load more calories then in ancient times.

you forgot the one that matters the most

- sitting on their asses for hours at a time doing nothing to remotely increase their heartrate