Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BettyLee

I have a theory...tell me if you think it's crazy...

I have acne (obviously), and I also wear glasses. I've also noticed that under the plastic/rubber nose part that rests on the bridge of my nose there is NO acne. The pores are normal, no dirt, no scars, no redness, nothing. It strikes me as an interesting phenomenon. I'll call this the "choke-out" theory. Now what if one were able to make a giant plastic piece called a "choke out" face mask. Theoretically all acne would disappear, no? Maybe I'm just thinkin' out loud...Has anyone noticed this also?

This wouldn't work.

Think of your shoulders etc... covered by clothing all day long, yet they still have bacne. (well some people do)

Also, look at someone who has acne but doesn't wear glasses.... they don't have acne at that point either...just like they don't have acne on their forearms or their earlobes or something.

No offence but that was a really lame theory that you clearly didn't give more than 1 minute of thought.

Well, thank you for your very well thought out reply...

I did not say this before, but I'll mention this now. I have had acne since I was in the sixth grade (I can't remember how old that is, but only that i got severely teased at this grade). Anyway, I've been wearing glasses the whole time I've had acne. I have acne EVERYWHERE on my face...EXCEPT for underneath my glasses where there is a plastic bit over it (in fact, I have had acne directly around and next to these spots), most of my waking hours. So for you to say I thought about this for ONE minute is absurd, more like thought about and observed this for 12 years. (Now, like I said, I didn't mention this before so I feel it's worth mentioning now)

But now to address your t-shirt idea. There is a MARKED difference between plastic and what I presume to be cotton on your back. Consider that for a moment, then consider the very wide practice of putting face masks for ten-15 minute treatments that suck out dirt and oil from your face. I'm just merely applying the same idea to eyeglasses which are on your face for most of the day. Now that being said, I think this is what explains the fact that I have near flawless skin under the plastic nose bits. I would just like to know if anyone else has this experience.

Ok then, let's discuss this a little further.

Have you any proposed ideas on the mechanism by which it would prevent acne?

One thing i can let you in on is a while ago someone posted a thread about him strapping a cloth or tissue to his forehead with a headband at night and he didn't get acne there anymore.

The quickest way for you to find out would be to test your theory. I don't know what you'd use... perhaps sticky-tape.. perhaps a headband but if you believe it then test it out. As for me, i believe it is just because it is a place that isn't prone to acne rather like he bit of your nose which is between your nostrils. Sure you can get the odd spot there every now and again but it usually remain clear.

I didnt have acne there ever, but one day one of those thingies fell off..

but I still wore the glasses, and on the side where it fell off, after like a good 2-3 weeks maybe of wearing them, I got a pimple on that spot.

and LOl, im still wearing those same glasses and I have not gotten an acne there since.

I also did wash it very cleanly after the initial pimple.

So your theory does FAIL.

How does that make any sense, though? Assuming you take your glasses off when you go to bed there's a good few hours of that area being exposed, which would surely cancel out the effects of having the bridge part covering the skin in the day. The only thing I can think of is that maybe it serves as a barrier to dirt.

Even if it were true, how would it have any impact as a potential cure? You;d have to go around wearing a plastic balaclava 24/7. Actually come to think of it that would be brilliant. We could all go around looking like ninjas! Cancel everything I've previously said, I'm totally in. Oh yeah.

lol, i love the replies here. Maybe it could be something slightly more practical, like applying a face mask every night before bed that acts like plastic but still breathes and can be taken off in the morning....maybe it keeps the physical moisture in, keeps the dirt out. Anyway, there's got to be some scientific explanation for why this appears at least somewhat effective.

I would try this out, only my acne is pretty much going away with the regime I'm using now. But if it ever does flare up somewhere, I think I'll try saran wrapping my face or something. I also once read that models wrapped themselves in plastic wrap to detox their skin and lose weight, maybe the same principle is behind the eyeglasses deal.

I always found I got acne specifically where the nose-pieces are, probably from chafing, though. My acne was, actually, worse where my glasses rested. The metal would give me green blackheads (I know: ew).

Interesting hypothesis, but wouldn't it suffocate the skin and block things in?

I'd like to hear more of your idea, though. x)

Hmm, well I just thought of a few more things that might apply... I also recall reading about a silicon gel, which dries as a protective coat, that one could spread over keloids (scar tissue) to minimize their size. Or what about band aids? You put a band aid over your cut so it doesn't get infected with bacteria etc and this speeds up the healing process...what if you put a giant band aid over your face...now I know it wouldn't look very attractive, but the idea?

Personally I think your amazing. Whether this idea makes sense or not doesnt matter. Nobody can say for sure whether it would work or not until it is tested. Im going to college for Biology, so a lot of people wouldnt understand this, but scientists come up with the most outrageous crazy ideas you could think of everyday. For a lot of them thats their job and then they test those crazy ideas. Its called the scientific method. It consists of a hypothesis, the tests and the reults. You have your hypothesis, now you would need to test it and state your results. A lot of the information we have today came from scientists who thought up crazy things that other people would laugh out, but if it wasnt for them, we wouldnt be as advanced as we are.

You may be on to something, or you may not be. But I think its great that your thinking outside of the box, which is something many people dont know how to do anymore. So dont let people tell you your idea is stupid or anything along those lines.

Sorry, haha, I didnt mean for this to turn into a science lesson.

Hi BettyLee! What an interesting idea. I do believe you've stumbled upon something that is very interesting and something that is worth testing. (as cowboy says)

While I wouldn't recommend wrapping your face in saran wrap, why don't you try several of those silicone scar bandages on one cheek or side of your face several nights or even days running for a week or more and see if that does anything. Take it off to give it the normal skin care you give the other side, and then reapply. Oxygen is important to the skin, so saran wrap wouldn't be a good thing to use, but I think the silicone tissues are 'breathable.'

I have acne (obviously), and I also wear glasses. I've also noticed that under the plastic/rubber nose part that rests on the bridge of my nose there is NO acne. The pores are normal, no dirt, no scars, no redness, nothing. It strikes me as an interesting phenomenon. I'll call this the "choke-out" theory. Now what if one were able to make a giant plastic piece called a "choke out" face mask. Theoretically all acne would disappear, no? Maybe I'm just thinkin' out loud...Has anyone noticed this also?