Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Adult Paul

Is it "Flat Wart?" (Constant battle with Acne/Folliculitis)

Hi there - my first post. I've stopped here over the last couple years as I was seeing a dermatologist.

I've had problems with my face ever since I was in grade school. I had a constant irritating rash, and the family doctor called it "impetigo".

Reaching teenage years, I developed acne, but nothing terrible.

Years go by, and now I'm 40, still having problems with irritated areas of acne/folliculitis, mostly in the beard area (I shave daily). I decided to get serious about solving my moderate yet constant problem.

I would define my biggest problem (outside of typical acne issues such as trapped oils and inflammation) to be "toughened" skin, accompanied by thickened/weakened hairs. I also have curly hair, and I have a problem with ingrown hairs. Many times, the problem starts deep in a hair follicle. If I could tweeze the problem hair, recovery was usually good. Sometimes I couldn't, either because it couldn't be reached, or because the hair is "spongy" and breaks at the shaft instead of being a normal hair that's strong enough to pull out at the follicle. Often this hair is a grayed color instead of it's natural color (not gray like white, gray like a milky color compared to those surrounding it)

Overall, it's been hard to sort out exactly what my problem is.

First I bought a book "Acne Cure" which I read fully and practiced what it preached. Salicylic acid, glycolic acid, benzoyl peroxide, and ice. Helped, but not a cure.

Over the past two and a half years I have been seeing a Dermatologist.

The first year and a half I was on doxycyline, BP/Glycolic wash before shaving, and topical clindamycin at night.

The last year I have been on accuatane. Yes, one full year at 40mg per day (tried 80, but the side effects were too much esp. sleepiness). At first I stopped the BP and clin, but then they had me pick it back up.

Over the last 5 months of treatment, I was also receiving laser hair removal for the full beard every 6 weeks. The doctor wrote up the reason for the treatment as "destory flat wart" and it was covered by insurance.

Unfortunately, the Dermatologist practice I was going to suddenly closed due to a drug scandal. Please don't take this thread off-topic, but if you want to see why go to this link:

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnews/2007/...nd_husband.html

So I need to find another Dermatologist. I also want to complete laser hair removal before my face whitens (grays) from age, when hairs become unresponsive to treatment.

Meanwhile, I got the urge to find out what "flat wart" is. On an internet search, I found this:

http://www.visualdxhealth.com/adult/flatWart.htm

When I look at the two facial shots, I feel like I'm looking at something very familiar. Mine tends to move around the face in patches about an inch wide and about 5-6 individual spots of flaring.

I see the treatment is salicylic acid, and I've been having reasonable control of the flaring by using facial and body wash. But not a cure.

The main reason I use SA it is that I started having acne again on my shoulders after accutane. My nose, upper cheeks, and forehead have been very clear over the past few weeks regardless. So I feel accutane was worthwhile.

I also have dried areas of my temple that are tough and peel. I thought it might be eczema, but flat wart might be a good explanation.

I'm going to be more frequent with salicylic acid facial wash and see how things improve.

Bottom line for my registering and posting: I think "Flat Wart" merits it's own discussion. Is seems to be something different than acne and folliculitis, but with similar symptoms.

Any suggestions from the experts here?

Since my original post, I've been treating my face as if it has a viral condition instead of bacterial. I've reduced my usage of the BP. Instead, I've been using Neutrogena 2% OTC salicyic products constantly. I wash with their body wash, then I treat with it. I use rapid-clear spot gel after gentle shaving, it has alcohol which should sterilize any opened sores from spreading. After a half hour, I moisturize with Anti-Wrinkle/Anti-Blemish cream, which includes Retinol. Any red spots I touch up with on-the-spot blemish make-up (using a q-tip instead of the included wand).

The results have been extremely promising. The affected spots are shrinking in size and no new spots have appeared.

Some could argue that my methods are identical to treating acne, but I've been doing that for years without complete success.

Accutane cleared up my acne rather well, now I have this last battle that I hope I fully win.

I can't even imagine what it would be like to be fully clear, but it seems I'm getting there.

Yeah, SA is used to treat warts & also hair follicle problems, so sometimes "acne" treatments are used for other skin conditions. I am prone to hair follicle irritation/infection on my legs (which I shave of course) and I use SA to keep it at bay after finishing a prescription cream I got to clear it up. Only I found that any SA with alcohol to be far too irritating for my sensitive skin. So far, so good...

Since my original post, I've been treating my face as if it has a viral condition instead of bacterial. I've reduced my usage of the BP. Instead, I've been using Neutrogena 2% OTC salicyic products constantly. I wash with their body wash, then I treat with it. I use rapid-clear spot gel after gentle shaving, it has alcohol which should sterilize any opened sores from spreading. After a half hour, I moisturize with Anti-Wrinkle/Anti-Blemish cream, which includes Retinol. Any red spots I touch up with on-the-spot blemish make-up (using a q-tip instead of the included wand).

The results have been extremely promising. The affected spots are shrinking in size and no new spots have appeared.

Some could argue that my methods are identical to treating acne, but I've been doing that for years without complete success.

Accutane cleared up my acne rather well, now I have this last battle that I hope I fully win.

I can't even imagine what it would be like to be fully clear, but it seems I'm getting there.

Since I've been treating this way, I have not had anywhere near the urge to scratch or pick at the affected areas. Previously I was unconsciously bothering with it and removing heavy scabbing. Removing the scab released the itchy stress. I was also pulling hairs, thinking it's a way to stop the acne. This explains why I was continuing to have problems in the same spot for months or even years.

I think knocking off the BP and clindamycin, and being off Accutane of course, helped to stop the over-drying and reduce the itching. I also make a more conscious effort not to touch my face or lean my head on my hand.

My wife gets skin tags but doesn't have problems otherwise. They simply get surgically removed. Are they related to disease?

I'm amazed how pain-free my face is becoming. I touch my face in the affected areas, and it feels very different. :dance:

The last few days I have added 400 IU of vitamin E to my standard multivitamin.

I'm amazed how pain-free my face is becoming. I touch my face in the affected areas, and it feels very different. :dance:

The last few days I have added 400 IU of vitamin E to my standard multivitamin.

That's great to hear. I'm glad you're finally finding something that helps! :boogie:

I visited my dermatologist today and asked if I had flat warts and he said that I have seborrheic keratosis, which is not the same thing. There is basically no treatment except to have them removed. I'm glad I don't have warts, but maybe warts would be better, since they go away after about 2 years.

I continue to deal with this issue. My regimen is generally effective, but I'm not winning the battle.

It's amazing how much the condition looks like acne at times. Take a look at the following picture of flatwart infection. It's not my picture, but it might as well be. Ref: http://www.healthyskinandmore.com/warts.htm

Now that summer is over, I'm going to completely stop shaving for the first time in my life.

post-60853-1189699868_thumb.jpg

post-60853-1189699868_thumb.jpg