Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BettyLee

My skin regime, it's working for me and my brother!

I have been fine tuning this method for the past two months and it's finally turning out good results. At the moment I have one whitehead and no zits. I'm now enjoying the days of some fading redness and residual acne scars. The only drawback is that it might be a tad pricy for some, but it's completely worth it to me.

A little about what my skin is like: I get acne absolutely everywhere, but it is especially concentrated on my chin, temples, NOSE especially, and forehead, cheeks, bout the only place I don't really get it is along my jaw, other than that my face is completely acne prone. Before I started this method I had not less than 16 zits on my face at any given time. It depressed me to no end and I could not even bear to be out in the sunlight for fear that people would see how bad it was. So you can only imagine what it must feel like to currently only have one whitehead, some redness and fading scars. Anyway, on to the regime!

First thing in the morning after waking up:

1. Wash hands thoroughly

2. Splash face with warm water

3. Gently cleanse with Cetaphil cleanser for normal to oily skin. And I mean gentle, don't irritate, don't inflame.

4. Rinse off cleanser

5. Using Swisper cotton pad, gently apply The Body Shop Hydrating grapeseed toner

6. Moisturize with The Body Shop Tee Tree Oil Mattifying moisture. I love this stuff for the day. It doesn't dry my face out and it doesn't look like I've put Crisco on my face either. I used to use Burt's Bee's day creme, but it looked like I dipped my head in a vat of oil, so I turned to this stuff and it's been amazing.

7. Then if I'm going out, I use Bare Escentuals mineral makeup which has SPF 15. For guys, I suggest using some sort of suntan lotion also, but I haven't really figured out which best works with my routine other than the mineral makeup.

This is the usual morning routine, but I alter it IF I decide to take a shower first thing in the morning. So this is what I do if I shower instead:

1. While in the shower I keep a facial brush from The Body Shop on a hook after getting my face wet I use Cetaphil cleanser on the brush to exfoliate the dead skin. This thing is amazing and it does not irritate my skin. The only reason I don't use it every morning and only when I shower is that I'm afraid of over exfoliation. Besides I think the water in the shower opens up the pores more and with the brush I get an even deeper cleaning.

2. Finish shower and pat face with paper towel

3. Use Body Shop hydrating toner

4. Moisturize with Body Shop mattifying moisture

Before bed time routine:

Now this is the fun stuff where I feel things really start to work. I ramp up my routine with some more stuff, but I also am VERY careful not to irritate my skin.

1. Splash face with water

2. Cleanse with Cetaphil cleanser

3. Using Swisper cotton pad I now use an astringent. I use Clean and Clear advantage acne clearing astringent. When I look at the pad I see all the dirt and makeup I didn't get off with the cleanser and I'm amazed

4. Use hydrating Body Shop hydrating toner

5. Now this is where moisturizing really kicks up my routine. I moisturize with The Body Shop's Vitamin C Plus Time release capsules and smooth it all over my face. This stuff is amazing and makes my skin feel incredible. I then let it absorb into my skin for about 2 minutes. This stuff is pricy, $25 for 28 capsules, but I'm not gonna part with it given the results.

6. I follow the Vitamin C capsule with Nutra E pure Vitamin E skin oil. I purchased this stuff off Amazon.com and it was super cheap and they gave a great quantity. This is the moisturizer I follow with because it is NOT in cream form. I read online somewhere that Vitamin C breaks down when it's in cream and so I used this oil instead and my results have been fantastic.

7. I go to bed and when I wake up I have the softest smoothest skin I have EVER had in my life.

Supplemental regime:

Sometimes I feel like stuff is building up on my face and my routine can't keep up so I've added some additional things to do that I only use when my face feels itchy and bumpy.

-About twice a week I'll exfoliate at night using a derm abrasion creme that I got through one of those derm abrasion kits. The derm abrasion thing didn't work for me (with that ridiculous wand and whatnot) but just massaging the beads into my skin with my fingers is doing the job quite well. I'm currently using Vita K microdermabrasion resurfacing cream following my Cetaphil cleanser. After the Vita K I then use the usual astringent, toner, vitamin c, vitamin E routine.

-About once a week I'll do a complete facial--the complete works:

1. Cleanse with Cetaphil

2. Exfoliate with Vita K

3. Steam face with boiling water off the stove

4. NEW STEP- use Kose Seikisho Mask white on nose and cheeks. Now this stuff is expensive about $28 dollars for 2.7 ounces but I make it go a long way by only using it on my nose and cheeks where blackheads are aplenty, not to mention I only do this about once a week or even once every two weeks. The way it works is it's sort of like those old school Biore strips that suck everything out of your skin. This is a PEELING mask, so it's totally fun and interactive and you can stare at all the nasty gunk that comes out of your face. Now I've heard this is really bad for you, but it makes my skin look incredible and my blackheads are really disappearing.

5. NEW STEP - while waiting for the Kose Mask white to dry on my nose and cheeks I put The Body Shop Tea Tree oil mask on the rest of my face so the whole face is getting a treatment

6. After tweny minutes I peel the mask off my face and wash off the Tea tree oil mask.

7. Use astringent

8. Use toner

9. Use Vitamin C

10. Use Vitamin E

I know this facial sounds like a lot, but I only do it once a week at most, usually once every two weeks or typically when I feel I really need it.

In general, it may seem like this is a lot of steps to do, but it REALLY works for me. I've read Dan's method and I've tried BP many Many times before and I think I'm allergic to it because my skin gets inflamed, itchy and super red for a week after even using a little bit. So this might be a good alternative to those who are sensitive to BP.

This routine, though it may seem like a lot is really loads of fun, and not only that you SEE results and your skin feels amazing, soft and clean. For me, I don't find it too hard to do. Really, all it is is cleansing twice a day (doesn't even seem that long if you shower every day) and occasionally supplementing with a facial and exfoliation. If any of you try this, let me know how it works out for you. I told my brother about it and it's working for him too. I've been doing this for about two months now and I'm even getting compliments and people asking me about how I got rid of my acne. This works. Please try it!

Edit: let me also mention that I've been suffering with acne since the 6TH GRADE..I'm now 20 years old and this is the only thing that has worked for me. It's so strange the power acne has over your life, but now I've never felt better about my face.

Hmm, your acne sounds similar to mine.

Do you think SpectroJel would work the same way as Cetaphil would?

It's virtually the same thing, I would think.

I get the same results with bp. Flaking, redness, just general blah D=

I have been fine tuning this method for the past two months and it's finally turning out good results. At the moment I have one whitehead and no zits. I'm now enjoying the days of some fading redness and residual acne scars. The only drawback is that it might be a tad pricy for some, but it's completely worth it to me.

A little about what my skin is like: I get acne absolutely everywhere, but it is especially concentrated on my chin, temples, NOSE especially, and forehead, cheeks, bout the only place I don't really get it is along my jaw, other than that my face is completely acne prone. Before I started this method I had not less than 16 zits on my face at any given time. It depressed me to no end and I could not even bear to be out in the sunlight for fear that people would see how bad it was. So you can only imagine what it must feel like to currently only have one whitehead, some redness and fading scars. Anyway, on to the regime!

First thing in the morning after waking up:

1. Wash hands thoroughly

2. Splash face with warm water

3. Gently cleanse with Cetaphil cleanser for normal to oily skin. And I mean gentle, don't irritate, don't inflame.

4. Rinse off cleanser

5. Using Swisper cotton pad, gently apply The Body Shop Hydrating grapeseed toner

6. Moisturize with The Body Shop Tee Tree Oil Mattifying moisture. I love this stuff for the day. It doesn't dry my face out and it doesn't look like I've put Crisco on my face either. I used to use Burt's Bee's day creme, but it looked like I dipped my head in a vat of oil, so I turned to this stuff and it's been amazing.

7. Then if I'm going out, I use Bare Escentuals mineral makeup which has SPF 15. For guys, I suggest using some sort of suntan lotion also, but I haven't really figured out which best works with my routine other than the mineral makeup.

This is the usual morning routine, but I alter it IF I decide to take a shower first thing in the morning. So this is what I do if I shower instead:

1. While in the shower I keep a facial brush from The Body Shop on a hook after getting my face wet I use Cetaphil cleanser on the brush to exfoliate the dead skin. This thing is amazing and it does not irritate my skin. The only reason I don't use it every morning and only when I shower is that I'm afraid of over exfoliation. Besides I think the water in the shower opens up the pores more and with the brush I get an even deeper cleaning.

2. Finish shower and pat face with paper towel

3. Use Body Shop hydrating toner

4. Moisturize with Body Shop mattifying moisture

Before bed time routine:

Now this is the fun stuff where I feel things really start to work. I ramp up my routine with some more stuff, but I also am VERY careful not to irritate my skin.

1. Splash face with water

2. Cleanse with Cetaphil cleanser

3. Using Swisper cotton pad I now use an astringent. I use Clean and Clear advantage acne clearing astringent. When I look at the pad I see all the dirt and makeup I didn't get off with the cleanser and I'm amazed

4. Use hydrating Body Shop hydrating toner

5. Now this is where moisturizing really kicks up my routine. I moisturize with The Body Shop's Vitamin C Plus Time release capsules and smooth it all over my face. This stuff is amazing and makes my skin feel incredible. I then let it absorb into my skin for about 2 minutes. This stuff is pricy, $25 for 28 capsules, but I'm not gonna part with it given the results.

6. I follow the Vitamin C capsule with Nutra E pure Vitamin E skin oil. I purchased this stuff off Amazon.com and it was super cheap and they gave a great quantity. This is the moisturizer I follow with because it is NOT in cream form. I read online somewhere that Vitamin C breaks down when it's in cream and so I used this oil instead and my results have been fantastic.

7. I go to bed and when I wake up I have the softest smoothest skin I have EVER had in my life.

Supplemental regime:

Sometimes I feel like stuff is building up on my face and my routine can't keep up so I've added some additional things to do that I only use when my face feels itchy and bumpy.

-About twice a week I'll exfoliate at night using a derm abrasion creme that I got through one of those derm abrasion kits. The derm abrasion thing didn't work for me (with that ridiculous wand and whatnot) but just massaging the beads into my skin with my fingers is doing the job quite well. I'm currently using Vita K microdermabrasion resurfacing cream following my Cetaphil cleanser. After the Vita K I then use the usual astringent, toner, vitamin c, vitamin E routine.

-About once a week I'll do a complete facial--the complete works:

1. Cleanse with Cetaphil

2. Exfoliate with Vita K

3. Steam face with boiling water off the stove

4. NEW STEP- use Kose Seikisho Mask white on nose and cheeks. Now this stuff is expensive about $28 dollars for 2.7 ounces but I make it go a long way by only using it on my nose and cheeks where blackheads are aplenty, not to mention I only do this about once a week or even once every two weeks. The way it works is it's sort of like those old school Biore strips that suck everything out of your skin. This is a PEELING mask, so it's totally fun and interactive and you can stare at all the nasty gunk that comes out of your face. Now I've heard this is really bad for you, but it makes my skin look incredible and my blackheads are really disappearing.

5. NEW STEP - while waiting for the Kose Mask white to dry on my nose and cheeks I put The Body Shop Tea Tree oil mask on the rest of my face so the whole face is getting a treatment

6. After tweny minutes I peel the mask off my face and wash off the Tea tree oil mask.

7. Use astringent

8. Use toner

9. Use Vitamin C

10. Use Vitamin E

I know this facial sounds like a lot, but I only do it once a week at most, usually once every two weeks or typically when I feel I really need it.

In general, it may seem like this is a lot of steps to do, but it REALLY works for me. I've read Dan's method and I've tried BP many Many times before and I think I'm allergic to it because my skin gets inflamed, itchy and super red for a week after even using a little bit. So this might be a good alternative to those who are sensitive to BP.

This routine, though it may seem like a lot is really loads of fun, and not only that you SEE results and your skin feels amazing, soft and clean. For me, I don't find it too hard to do. Really, all it is is cleansing twice a day (doesn't even seem that long if you shower every day) and occasionally supplementing with a facial and exfoliation. If any of you try this, let me know how it works out for you. I told my brother about it and it's working for him too. I've been doing this for about two months now and I'm even getting compliments and people asking me about how I got rid of my acne. This works. Please try it!

Edit: let me also mention that I've been suffering with acne since the 6TH GRADE..I'm now 20 years old and this is the only thing that has worked for me. It's so strange the power acne has over your life, but now I've never felt better about my face.

I just wanted to let you know that Bare Essentials mineral make up is VERY comedogenic. Almost everyone on this site who has used it has broken out

Hmm, your acne sounds similar to mine.

Do you think SpectroJel would work the same way as Cetaphil would?

It's virtually the same thing, I would think.

I get the same results with bp. Flaking, redness, just general blah D=

I have not tried spectrojel, but I imagine if you cleanse gently and it doesn't irritate your skin then you should be just fine. And yes, BP sucks. I tried it again a couple months back thinking perhaps if I use very little I would be fine...boy was I wrong.

I just wanted to let you know that Bare Essentials mineral make up is VERY comedogenic. Almost everyone on this site who has used it has broken out

Thanks for the heads up Molly. I have noticed that my face does feel a little itchy for 30-45 minutes in certain places after using the makeup, but it hasn't caused me to break out. This is part of my regime which I haven't completely worked out, but I really feel like using a suntan lotion is important and I'm not sure which one would work best. I tried one that had a tint in it (I think it was Neutrogena brand), but it made my face greasy and inflamed. In general I try to avoid makeup as much as possible. If you've got any suggestions for me, please let me know! I appreciate it.