problems with dryne...

Notifications
Clear all

problems with dryness or flaking?

MemberMember
(@cool-as-kim-deal)

Posted : 07/17/2007 2:44 pm

Hey everyone,

I've done what I'm about to describe a few times to take care of my skin if it starts acting up and getting flaky, and I thought I ought to share it. It might be similar to something you're already doing if you use jojoba oil before applying BP. I think of it almost like a combination of a mask and a scrub, but very different in a lot of ways, and simpler than most homemade concoctions.

You would want to do this BEFORE cleansing your face or taking a shower, either morning or night is fine. You pour a good amount of jojoba oil into your palm, probably 10-12 drops worth or so, but basically just a large amount so that you can rub it all over your face. You start dabbing the jojoba oil all over your face, and once you have it all on there, you start massaging it in with your finger tips. At first, just lightly spread it around, but then build up pressure a little. Be very careful around active acne if you have it, but definitely rub in the jojoba oil. Don't be aggressive, but you don't want to be quite as gentle as you are when you apply BP, for example. You should feel some grittiness to your skin as you massage the jojoba oil in, which is a combination of the skin that was flaking off and maybe some residual BP/moisturizer, since after all, you haven't washed your face yet. The massage helps to loosen a whole bunch of flakes and is also good for your circulation as a bonus. I give my face a massage for several minutes straight, just rubbing it in and picking up more and more grittiness. You might put a couple more drops of oil on very dry patches partway through to help loosen those flakes even more. When you feel like you've loosened all that you can and that new gritty stuff isn't coming up (or if you get the the point where you think your face will start to get raw if you go for much longer, which means you should have used more jojoba oil, I suspect), then stop. Just leave the jojoba oil on your face for about another 10 minutes so that your face is really nice and moisturized, like leaving on a moisturizing mask. Then, just wash it off! You might want to wash your face off in the shower since the heat will make removing the jojoba oil easier if your cleanser is really mild, but it shouldn't be too hard to clean up. You mostly just want to get rid of the grittiness and leftover crud you had on your face, nothing wrong with leaving some jojoba oil behind. Then do your regimen as normal following cleansing, perhaps even using more jojoba oil before BP if that's what you like to do.

You might wonder if this is excessively irritating. I think it's a good deal less irritating than using a brush of some sort to physically remove flakes, and since a lot of people seem to be able to handle that as it is, this should be tolerable for even more people. I also think it's less irritating than a scrub because you're loosening the flakes with a moisturizing oil (technically jojoba oil is a liquid wax but whatever :P), rather than ripping them off with some abrasive bits. Plus, as a bonus, you have this moisturizing, protective barrier on your face for a little bit while you're massaging the jojoba oil in and leaving it on for the 10 minutes, so it's like a therapeutic moisturizing mask. If you know that jojoba oil makes you break out, obviously, this is not the flake treatment for you, and if you have such sensitive skin that massaging your face for a few minutes would leave you feeling irritated, then this is also not for you. For everyone else, though, I think this is a nice way to deal with flakes as they come up, either as regular treatment several times a week or just something to do once in a while when they get bad.

Hope this helps! If you try this and like it or hate it, definitely leave feedback so that others may benefit; after all, I'm the only person with my exact skin, so I don't know how other people will handle it. I wouldn't expect perfect results at first if your face is very dry and has too many flakes to deal with, but if you try this every other day or so, I think you'd see an improvement in your skin's texture and dryness pretty quickly.

MemberMember
(@benzo)

Posted : 07/17/2007 4:24 pm

Thanks, sounds good!

What if I wear make-up during the day, I wouldnt be able to do this at night then, coz the make-up has to come off first?

MemberMember
(@cool-as-kim-deal)

Posted : 07/17/2007 6:28 pm

I hadn't thought of that because I stopped wearing makeup, oops. You're definitely right, I think anyone who wears makeup would want to do this in the morning rather than at night so that you weren't rubbing makeup around your face in addition to the dead skin.

MemberMember
(@benzo)

Posted : 07/18/2007 3:36 pm

True true.

I have another question, sorry! You mentioned, jojoba before BP?? Because flakiness is quite a big problem for me. So you just slap on jojoba (pat or rub?) before BP, day and night? Or just day?

MemberMember
(@cool-as-kim-deal)

Posted : 07/18/2007 5:49 pm

True true.

I have another question, sorry! You mentioned, jojoba before BP?? Because flakiness is quite a big problem for me. So you just slap on jojoba (pat or rub?) before BP, day and night? Or just day?

MemberMember
(@cowboy101)

Posted : 07/18/2007 8:12 pm

I thought about trying this a couple times. I read somewhere that Jojoba oil makes a good cleanser because it removes skin and oil. So im very glad you made this post. I think i will try it for sure now.

As for BP, I thought about mixing a drop or two of jojoba oil with my actual BP and then rubbing it on my face. Do you think this would help out with some of the excessive drying?

MemberMember
(@gyroscope352)

Posted : 07/24/2007 5:12 pm

Gyroscope352 also uses jojoba oil before BP, but in a slightly different way, so you might want to see his take on it.
MemberMember
(@near)

Posted : 08/11/2007 10:29 pm

Can I use DK's moisturizer for this instead?

MemberMember
(@duane)

Posted : 08/12/2007 3:20 am

MemberMember
(@gyroscope352)

Posted : 08/12/2007 9:14 am

i don't see why not. i'd try it.

MemberMember
(@cool-as-kim-deal)

Posted : 08/12/2007 1:27 pm

i don't see why not. i'd try it.

MemberMember
(@near)

Posted : 08/15/2007 8:41 pm

I finally found some (a rather small tube) of Jojoba oil. I'm going to try tonight, i'll let you know how it turns out.

MemberMember
(@near)

Posted : 08/15/2007 10:00 pm

Ok, the stuff is on my face. I was amazed, i literally saw hundreds of chunks of flakes come right off... its on my face now, time to wash it off.

MemberMember
(@aroused-guy)

Posted : 08/15/2007 10:07 pm

Where would I buy Jojoba Oil?

MemberMember
(@cool-as-kim-deal)

Posted : 08/15/2007 10:21 pm

Where would I buy Jojoba Oil?
MemberMember
(@near)

Posted : 08/15/2007 10:24 pm

I got mine at Whole Foods, but you can try any organic store.

Update: Ok, just got out the shower, and I was surprised to see I had even more visible flakes then before. I was forced to pick some off between my eyes, and I just put in my BP. SO far, there areen't as many flakes now, but I dont think I did the proceedures as good as I should've. I definetly should've massaged it to my skin alot longer.

Question: WHile I was rubbing the jojoba oil in, i had numerous dead skin flakes transfer to my hand. Should I wash the dead skin off, and continue rubbing, or should I just keep rubbing regardless of the numerous skin flakes on my hand.

MemberMember
(@cool-as-kim-deal)

Posted : 08/15/2007 10:38 pm

I got mine at Whole Foods, but you can try any organic store.

Update: Ok, just got out the shower, and I was surprised to see I had even more visible flakes then before. I was forced to pick some off between my eyes, and I just put in my BP. SO far, there areen't as many flakes now, but I dont think I did the proceedures as good as I should've. I definetly should've massaged it to my skin alot longer.

Question: WHile I was rubbing the jojoba oil in, i had numerous dead skin flakes transfer to my hand. Should I wash the dead skin off, and continue rubbing, or should I just keep rubbing regardless of the numerous skin flakes on my hand.

MemberMember
(@near)

Posted : 08/16/2007 5:47 pm

Ok, I used it again this morning. Throughout the day, my flakes have DEFINETLY dissapeared, up to at least 78%. There are still some here and there, but its definetly under control. But now my face feels a tad bit raw, and under the mirror it seems a little red, so I guess I will only be exfoliating once every couple days.

MemberMember
(@mesmer)

Posted : 08/17/2007 2:54 am

Ahh! I just started the regimen a few days ago, and my skin is flaking off at an alarming rate. I'll try to go out and find some jojoba oil tomorrow - I hope I can find some place that stocks it. :| What would you suggest I do if I can't find any?

Edit: Nvm, I just went out and found some. Yay? I'll try this today! (Yay... today... rhymes...)

MemberMember
(@greentea101)

Posted : 11/28/2007 6:40 pm

i wanna try it

MemberMember
(@spencerkiller)

Posted : 11/29/2007 12:50 pm

Ey my skin is always a shade of red and semi dry but never flaky. Any suggestions on how to lessen the redness?

MemberMember
(@teirrah)

Posted : 11/29/2007 7:43 pm

I have been having MAJORLY dry skin so I went out and bought some jojoba oil last night and tried it. It definately helped, I had no dry patches today at all. Although, I wouldn't really call it an exfoliating method. Since it's an oil it doesn't have anything to slough off the skin. I didn't notice any flakes of skin that came off. But everyone is different. It's definitely a good moisturizing method though so thanks for sharing!

MemberMember
(@cool-as-kim-deal)

Posted : 12/01/2007 10:57 pm

I have been having MAJORLY dry skin so I went out and bought some jojoba oil last night and tried it. It definately helped, I had no dry patches today at all. Although, I wouldn't really call it an exfoliating method. Since it's an oil it doesn't have anything to slough off the skin. I didn't notice any flakes of skin that came off. But everyone is different. It's definitely a good moisturizing method though so thanks for sharing!
MemberMember
(@somuchsoul)

Posted : 01/15/2008 5:19 am

the jojoba oil completely fixed my flaky dry skin!

I was wondering if it is still necessary to use a moisturizer since my skin isn't as dry as it used to be due to the BP?

Should I just continue to use a moisturizer as part of the regimen?

Thanks in advance!

MemberMember
(@cool-as-kim-deal)

Posted : 01/15/2008 11:48 am

the jojoba oil completely fixed my flaky dry skin!

I was wondering if it is still necessary to use a moisturizer since my skin isn't as dry as it used to be due to the BP?

Should I just continue to use a moisturizer as part of the regimen?

Thanks in advance!