Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Noremac

How long does it take for Accutane to clear scars?

I just started month three, and most of my acne is completely clear but i have a bunch of scars and red marks. new and previous.

i dont know, i tried to ask my derm but she dismissed this as she was concerned about the acne problem not the scarring. She said it will improve. In all honesty it has improved the old scars but i have some new ones now and they are very very prominent. I am going next week and want an answer!

Guest ready2Bclear

So I guess the new scars that you get while on accutane last longer...cause Im only on my 8th pill and my skin looks better cause all my old scarring has disappeared. Oh and if you get any new pimples while on accutane and you pick them, put some of that aquaphor stuff on them! thats what I've been doing (i'm a big picker)and I'm not getting any scars : )

mine healed faster, but yes accutane is intended for the treatment of acne, not scarring.

they say it prevents scarring, by preventing new acne. not gets rid of scars that have already formed. scarring is different than red marks, which will clear on their own with time.

ah see mine told me it would help with skin renewal - i have red/purple dark marks, no pits. And tbh, the old ones do look better, but the new ones look awful

no they aren't permanent scars, the problem I was having was the skin was unable to heal because the acne/cysts kept reforming under the same skin, so now its much improved as it isn't happening in the same areas all the time, so to me personally, they felt like 'scars' as i have had them for years with no improvement and they are so dark, but i know i am lucky they are not pitted. I have follicular scars and i dont know if this can be helped

no they aren't permanent scars, the problem I was having was the skin was unable to heal because the acne/cysts kept reforming under the same skin, so now its much improved as it isn't happening in the same areas all the time, so to me personally, they felt like 'scars' as i have had them for years with no improvement and they are so dark, but i know i am lucky they are not pitted. I have follicular scars and i dont know if this can be helped