Notifications
Clear all

Recommend Glycolic Acid products

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 07/14/2007 11:58 pm

I thought it would be lovely to compile a list of member's glycolic acid products that they have personal experience with and would be willing to recommend to others who are fighting either 1. comedonal acne or 2. combo comedonal acne and small inflamed areas 3. aging 4. any of the above!

General Recommendations

Please also remember that using warm rather than hot water is one good step to add into your skin care regimen. Hot water is very irritating to most skin and can increase the redness/inflammation of pimples.

A gentle skin cleanser or one for sensitive skin is also an essential addition to your skin care regimen. If your skin feels 'tight' after you finish washing your face, your cleanser is too harsh or you need to apply moisturizer right after you wash.

Please try to avoid harsh scrubs or products that are advertised as for 'acne-prone' or 'oily' skin, or for 'blackhead clearing', as many of them are just too harsh and will tear minute holes or breaks into the skin, causing a worsened inflamed breakout.

Gentle chemical or manual exfoliation is the best for clearing pores out!

Sunscreen of at least SPF 30 is very important when using an AHA product. The AHA makes the skin more susceptible to sun damage and hyperpigmentation (melasma). I did not heed the warning and forgot sunscreen one day. I had a very obvious area of hyperpigmentation that looked like mud smeared across my forehead on one side only. It has faded with continued use of the glycolic and strict use of sunscreen.

In no particular order:

1. Avon's ANEW CLINICAL Advanced Retexturizing Peel. Can be bought on eBay for much less. I bought five containers for $48 including shipping. :D THIS is my holy grail of skin clearing and beautiful complexion.

2. Alpha Hydrox Souffle. Can be bought at Walgreen's and other places. Walmart and Target don't carry it anymore from what I read. The Alpha Hydrox website lists other places it can be purchased. Feels lovely on and works extremely well, even on the body!

3. Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner. Quite refreshing. It has Alpha Hydroxy acids and beta hydroxy acids. It smells nice and feels so clean and good on the skin. I also highly recommend it. Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle and other AHA products. Very good recommendations.

4. Many recommendations coming in for: Aqua Glycolic products. Their toners and cleanser in particular get good reviews.

5. Paula's Choice AHA body lotion or AHA products. The BHAs are exceptional, but of course don't fit in this topic of glycolic acid.

6. Platinum Skin Care has exceptional glycolic acid peels and products, along with a wide array of various skin care products.

7. MD Forte Glycare products. This link allows you to choose the product on the website that is best for your skin type.

8. lookgr8, a UK company. Several members have reported using several of their products with success. I do not have personal experience with their products. Some members have reported problems with customer service.

9. Pimple Eraser. Glycolic products recommended by a few members.

10. Olay Regenerist Thermal Skin Polisher. Has glycolic acid, does not appear to have comedogenic ingredients.

11. Dan's AHA+ lotion; large enough container at a good price for using on the body too.

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 07/15/2007 9:49 am

Youre the acne curing goddess Thanks so much for the recommendations Wynne

MemberMember
(@french_muffin)

Posted : 07/15/2007 11:04 am

http://www.lookgr8.co.uk/index.php?main_pa...;products_id=34

This is what i have using of late. Had only been 3 days so really don't know how my skin would shape.

Price is affordable as well...especially for U.K sufferers.

MemberMember
(@heartless)

Posted : 07/15/2007 11:33 am

See prior post.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 07/15/2007 8:17 pm

I'll put the above quoted post here to make it a bit easier for others to find without lots of clicking. Heartless, if you don't like this idea, please PM me and I'll delete this quote.

Try Paula's Choice . I use her salicylic acid but she also has AHA/glycolic acid products, too.

You can also try Platinum Skincare . They have a very comprehensive line of products with detailed useage instructions.

MemberMember
(@hhughes)

Posted : 07/15/2007 8:36 pm

I like the MD Forte line... very high concentration with almost no irritation.

http://www.mdforte.com/right004.asp

i personally use the Level III cleanser and the Replenish Hydrating cream

MemberMember
(@jamesmt)

Posted : 07/16/2007 8:06 am

Hey Wynne, I found a little tub of them Avon ANEW clinical advanced retexturizing peel wipes that my mum has got but she's on holiday so I'm going to steal them! muaha

Could you explain to me what they actually do? Will they literally make my skin peel? How many times to use them and when?

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 07/16/2007 8:30 am

Hey Wynne, I found a little tub of them Avon ANEW clinical advanced retexturizing peel wipes that my mum has got but she's on holiday so I'm going to steal them! muaha

Could you explain to me what they actually do? Will they literally make my skin peel? How many times to use them and when?

MemberMember
(@goodlife)

Posted : 07/16/2007 8:56 am

I thought it would be lovely to compile a list of member's glycolic acid products that they have personal experience with and would be willing to recommend to others who are fighting either 1. comedonal acne or 2. combo comedonal acne and small inflamed areas 3. aging 4. any of the above!

1. Avon's ANEW CLINICAL Advanced Retexturizing Peel. Can be bought on eBay for much less. I bought five containers for $48 including shipping. :D THIS is my holy grail of skin clearing and beautiful complexion.

2. Alpha Hydrox Souffle. Can be bought at Walgreen's and other places. Walmart and Target don't carry it anymore from what I read. The Alpha Hydrox website lists other places it can be purchased. Feels lovely on and works extremely well, even on the body!

3. Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner. Quite refreshing. It has Alpha Hydroxy acids and beta hydroxy acids. It smells nice and feels so clean and good on the skin. I also highly recommend it.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 07/16/2007 9:16 am

...Is this the same product?

http://avonshop.co.uk/avonshop/default.asp?department=shop

Sorry the link doesnt go straight to the product, but i think its on there just by a different name.

Thanks

Just realised that there products are just for women.

MemberMember
(@goodlife)

Posted : 07/16/2007 11:11 am

Ok Wynne I might give this product a go, even though im in the UK.

What skin would you say its exactly suited for?

I have scars and lots a dark brown marks on my face, with some active acne, lots of blackheads. My face is kind of red as well.

I have quite sensitive skin, would this be suitable for me?

I really dont know what to use on my skin, Im so confused I use nothing at the moment. I just want these marks to go.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 07/16/2007 11:24 am

With sensitive skin, you will need a moisturizer with any glycolic product. I don't know that I would try Avon with sensitive skin. You might be better off with the Alpha Hydrox Souffle. It seems a much gentler formulation than the Avon. The Avon stings a LOT when one first uses it. The Alpha Hydrox did not at all. You might be ok trying the Avon but definitely using a sunscreen moisturizer during the day and a good moisturizer at night.

If you do use the Alpha Hydrox or Avon, please be absolutely sure to use a sunscreen, too.

Have you ever been to a dermatologist or an esthetician? If you go to a dermatologist, it is possible they'd be able to give you a prescription that will help you a lot. An experienced esthetician who has good references and experience with acne-prone skin will be able to give you some soothing and helpful facials, and possibly even some extractions of those blackheads (make darned sure they follow good clean techniques, and if possible, get recommendations from your friends!)

I hope you're using a gentle cleanser or a sensitive skin cleanser. I don't recommend using products that say they are for acne-prone or 'oily' skin. Those are frequently too harsh. Acne prone skin IS sensitive skin and needs to be treated gently and with respect. I use Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar (either antibacterial or regular) and others recommend Purpose wash. They are both gentle and effective.

MemberMember
(@goodlife)

Posted : 07/16/2007 12:48 pm

Thanks for the info Wynne.

The last time I went to a dermatologist, was when I finished my Roaccutane course, I was hoping something might be said about the marks left, but nothing.

So you definatley think AHA products are the way to go?

MemberMember
(@inrepair)

Posted : 07/24/2007 5:58 pm

*bumping* I have a few questions.

I'm was looking on Paula's choice website and looked at these products, can anyone tell me what the different is between all these products and if they would work really well on getting rid of red marks? What is the difference between Acid Gel and Acid Lotion?

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/search/search.asp?keys=peel

I was looking into getting a peel and I saw that Platinum Skin Care has a bunch, with different percents. I don't have oily skin nor do I have dry skin just in the middle, should I just try the 3% Salicylic Peel since its the lowest percent to start out with?

http://platinumskincare.com/all_products.htm

MemberMember
(@inrepair)

Posted : 07/26/2007 4:13 pm

anyone

MemberMember
(@zrbx)

Posted : 07/26/2007 4:33 pm

i'm curious.

in your country, doctors dont prescribe manipulated meds?

:)

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 07/26/2007 7:10 pm

Thanks for the info Wynne.

The last time I went to a dermatologist, was when I finished my Roaccutane course, I was hoping something might be said about the marks left, but nothing.

So you definatley think AHA products are the way to go?

MemberMember
(@yoshimi)

Posted : 07/26/2007 7:28 pm

i actually like proactiv's revitalizing toner. i believe it contains 6% AHA, and it's also alcohol free so it does not irritate skin. :D i really like it.

i also tried paula's choice 8% AHA gel, and although it's too harsh for putting it all over my skin, it actually works great as a spot treatment.

hope that helps!

MemberMember
(@suzincarolina)

Posted : 07/26/2007 11:08 pm

I had good luck with a glycolic acid product called Pimple Eraser. It is an OTC product and is inexpensive.

MemberMember
(@weenie-beenie)

Posted : 07/27/2007 1:11 am

Wynne, I am currently using the Anew retexturizing pads every other morning and Differen cream every night. I also use the baby brush method every other morning, and I wash with Olay clarity cleanser (which contains SA) once a day. Do you think adding another GA product would be too mich? If I were to add one, what would you suggest?

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 07/27/2007 1:14 pm

Wynne, I am currently using the Anew retexturizing pads every other morning and Differen cream every night. I also use the baby brush method every other morning, and I wash with Olay clarity cleanser (which contains SA) once a day. Do you think adding another GA product would be too mich? If I were to add one, what would you suggest?
MemberMember
(@inrepair)

Posted : 07/29/2007 6:26 pm

I'm using the anew retexturizing pads to, and I was using them for 3 weeks but I broke out REALLY bad. I knew that happens so I stuck with it, but it was getting bad. So I stopped for a week, then my face cleared back up and my red marks actually have looked the best they have ever had. But I started using it again last Wednesday and now my face is all broken out again. I think it is in the pad. I dunno If I should just stick with it, or if I really do have a problem with using them. Its why I am looking into other AHAs products that might be better, :(

MemberMember
(@weenie-beenie)

Posted : 08/01/2007 2:54 pm

Alright so I've been using the Avon pads for about 2 and a half weeks now. I think I'm looking a little bit better. I'm wondering how it might help me if I were to add the Paula Choice BHA liquid into my regimen?

MemberMember
(@inrepair)

Posted : 08/01/2007 5:29 pm

I'm thinking of doing that to, I just ordered some samples from Paula Choice. I can say that the pads have helped SOOO much I can't believe how amazing my skin is starting to look. I've been battling with my red marks and breakouts for so long, not so much the breakouts but the red marks are nasty, and they are starting to finally go away, which makes me so happy.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 08/01/2007 5:41 pm

I'm using the anew retexturizing pads to, and I was using them for 3 weeks but I broke out REALLY bad. I knew that happens so I stuck with it, but it was getting bad. So I stopped for a week, then my face cleared back up and my red marks actually have looked the best they have ever had. But I started using it again last Wednesday and now my face is all broken out again. I think it is in the pad. I dunno If I should just stick with it, or if I really do have a problem with using them. Its why I am looking into other AHAs products that might be better, :(