Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MattyMatt84

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN THE LAST RESORT FAILS?

So basically I must have done something really bad in a previous life or something to deserve this. I have had moderate to severe acne for 8 years since I was 15. Its totally ruined my life. I finally get on accutane a month ago and monday was my one month check up and I was finally finally starting to clear up for the first time since I can remember. I was starting to not recognize my face in the mirror because I'm so used to it being covered in acne. So just when for the first time in years I start to get my hopes up and think that maybe life is getting better and I can be normal again, this happens. I go in for my 1month check up. Doc takes my blood. Calls me back the next day and says my liver enzymes are high and to come back and get my blood drawn again. So i go back get my blood drawn and then wait to hear the results. I get a call at 8:59 am this morning from my derm and he asks if I'm feeling ok and if my eyes are bright yellow or if my pee is dark brown or my liver or kidneys hurt. I say no no I feel fine. He says ok well I was gonna tell u to go straight to the hospital right away but y dont u come in immediately and we're gonna do some tests and take your blood again (for the third time in three days!). So I go in and he says my levels are off the chart and that he has never seen anything like this. He says I should stop taking accutane right away and that I need to have my blood drawn and monitered every two days for the next two weeks to make sure I'll be ok. MY CPK levels are fucking INSANE! Normal is 0-170. Mine is 36,261!!! NO FUCKING JOKE! Like are u serious! WTF!!! The other two they look at are pretty high to. Normal AST is 0-37. Mines 847. But thats not even whats bothering me. I feel ok and I'm sure my levels will return to normal within a week or two. But he says I should never take accutane again!!! What the hell! For the first time since I can remember I started to feel positive about things and then all the sudden I have this crazy shit happen. I feel like I got stabbed in the heart. I have tried EVERYTHING else there is to try and accutane was the last resort. So what do you do when the last resort fails??? I feel so defeated. I just don't know what to do anymore. Nothing in my life can ever just work out. Fuck it all

oh wow, i'm sorry to hear that. but your health is more important than clear skin. plus, you have somewhat of a head start since you got a month of accutane and your skin is starting to clear, if i were you i would start using a strong topical retinoid like tazorac right away so hopefully your skin continues to clear. good luck.

36,261? wow how did they even measure that. Accutane is doing you no good. You are 23 im guessing, i think you should be outgrowing acne soon anyway.

36,261? wow how did they even measure that. Accutane is doing you no good. You are 23 im guessing, i think you should be outgrowing acne soon anyway.

wow i'm sorry to hear that...i know how you feel..i was on it for 2 weeks at 40mg/day and my enzymes levels went up just like yours, well not to 36 2030 or whatever but it quadrupled the normal level so i was forced to stop..i was looking into SAM-e or milk thistle..maybe that stuff would work for you.. try and search something called MAXIMUM MILK THISTLE..its supposed to be 10 times as potent as original milk thistle and its supposed to lower your enzymes..also tell your derm to maybe put you on a lower dose at maybe 20mg/day or even lower since you are so sensitive to it just like me..it'll take longer to complete but at least it'll clear you..hope everything works out for you and for me :)

damn liver enzymes lol

wow i'm sorry to hear that...i know how you feel..i was on it for 2 weeks at 40mg/day and my enzymes levels went up just like yours, well not to 36 2030 or whatever but it quadrupled the normal level so i was forced to stop..i was looking into SAM-e or milk thistle..maybe that stuff would work for you.. try and search something called MAXIMUM MILK THISTLE..its supposed to be 10 times as potent as original milk thistle and its supposed to lower your enzymes..also tell your derm to maybe put you on a lower dose at maybe 20mg/day or even lower since you are so sensitive to it just like me..it'll take longer to complete but at least it'll clear you..hope everything works out for you and for me :)

damn liver enzymes lol

Since a few ppl posting in this thread ar just about a month in, how long did it take for you guys to notice any side effects im 7 days in and im not feeling anyting....... yet

Oh btw, im sorry to hear about that. I kjnow what ur saying about the whole stabbed to the heart thing but maybe just that 1 month of tane will do the trick!

It took me about a little bit more than a month to really see the side effects, I've always had dry lips so that at the begining it didn't bother me, but when I had to take a higher dose (80 mg for 77kg) it began to be quite a pain in the ass.

Accutane doesn't work anyway. Been off for less than two weeks and breaking out daily.

personally i dont think liver enzymes could really do much harm as long as they go back to normal after accutane(which is usually the case), but them being elevated to such high levels really puts a strain on your liver and may cause hepatitis c or so ive heard, but there are supplements to help the liver while taking tane...

and for the side effects, i didnt notice much other than dry skin, chapped lips and i got tired really easily when playing sports, which all started during the 2nd week...but everyone's different..

if anyone has tried milk thistle or SAM-e while on accutane to keep their liver enzymes in check please let us know.. because being able to take accutane depends largely on it :)

Since a few ppl posting in this thread ar just about a month in, how long did it take for you guys to notice any side effects im 7 days in and im not feeling anyting....... yet

Oh btw, im sorry to hear about that. I kjnow what ur saying about the whole stabbed to the heart thing but maybe just that 1 month of tane will do the trick!

Ever heard of Photodynamic Therapy (PDT)? My dermatologist recommends it more than accutane (though I think he also makes a tidy profit off of it) and he says the effects last a year at least. However, here in Montreal it costs around $1500 for the therapy.

personally i dont think liver enzymes could really do much harm as long as they go back to normal after accutane(which is usually the case), but them being elevated to such high levels really puts a strain on your liver and may cause hepatitis c or so ive heard, but there are supplements to help the liver while taking tane...

and for the side effects, i didnt notice much other than dry skin, chapped lips and i got tired really easily when playing sports, which all started during the 2nd week...but everyone's different..

if anyone has tried milk thistle or SAM-e while on accutane to keep their liver enzymes in check please let us know.. because being able to take accutane depends largely on it :)

hey wynne, what if i were to go on a 20mg/day accutane course for a longer time while taking milk thistle, would there be a chance i can stay on accutane or would my enzymes just quadruple again? also i haven't really tried milk thistle yet but do you think it could help with my situation?

by the way i tried levulan , all it did was make me breakout worse, really worse.

thanks for your help :)

hey wynne, what if i were to go on a 20mg/day accutane course for a longer time while taking milk thistle, would there be a chance i can stay on accutane or would my enzymes just quadruple again? also i haven't really tried milk thistle yet but do you think it could help with my situation?

by the way i tried levulan , all it did was make me breakout worse, really worse.

thanks for your help :)

Ever heard of Photodynamic Therapy (PDT)? My dermatologist recommends it more than accutane (though I think he also makes a tidy profit off of it) and he says the effects last a year at least. However, here in Montreal it costs around $1500 for the therapy.

you poor thing... :( that is horrible! you said you have tried everything...well have you tried going to a chinese medicine doctor? i have heard of people with wonderful results. chinese medicine uses totally differnet theories and methods that are all based on like the nartural elements. maybe try it! and let me tell you changing your diet is huge too! i had to go on accutane and..yes, it did get rid of my acne but after i was done with accutane my skin was so thrashed from the dryness that then i had to do something about it. i started eating really healthy and i swear my skin is (not to brag) but really nice now! anyways- keep your head up and remember that people understand the acne thing because theres a lot of us out there :D

Yes I tried PDT for three months. Didn't do anything besides hurt. The lady put me up to the MAXIMUM setting on the laser/light and it hurt like hell and still didn't work. I dont know man I'm thinking about just taking a shit load of Sam E and milk thistle and using the accutane I have left. I've got about two and a half months left using 40mg a day. Once my levels go back down that is. And I will go to the hospital to get my own blood work done once a month and check to make sure my levels dont get as high or higher than they are now. Yes its a risk but the way I see it I'm not really living now so what do I have to lose.

Yes I tried PDT for three months. Didn't do anything besides hurt. The lady put me up to the MAXIMUM setting on the laser/light and it hurt like hell and still didn't work. I dont know man I'm thinking about just taking a shit load of Sam E and milk thistle and using the accutane I have left. I've got about two and a half months left using 40mg a day. Once my levels go back down that is. And I will go to the hospital to get my own blood work done once a month and check to make sure my levels dont get as high or higher than they are now. Yes its a risk but the way I see it I'm not really living now so what do I have to lose.

Retin A 0.5% liquid or gel, used ALL over the face, not just as a spot treatment. I'd go for the gel. The liquid is very messy and oily feeling at the same time as it feels very drying. I did use that for years and it kept my skin clear for years. I also used topical clindamycin. Those combined just made my skin clear up. It did take three months, but my doctor warned me it would take time, so I was patient and listened to her. I got those from my wonderful family doctor in general practice.

Retin A 0.5% liquid or gel, used ALL over the face, not just as a spot treatment. I'd go for the gel. The liquid is very messy and oily feeling at the same time as it feels very drying. I did use that for years and it kept my skin clear for years. I also used topical clindamycin. Those combined just made my skin clear up. It did take three months, but my doctor warned me it would take time, so I was patient and listened to her. I got those from my wonderful family doctor in general practice.

ok thank you. so i need my derm to prescribe those to me? or are they available at like a rite aid or sumthin?

ok well I have Retin A gel and when I was first prescribed it the person at the pharmacy told me it was more of a spot treatment then put all over your face kinda thing. But I remember once I did spread it over one side of my face and for the next week that whole side of my face was seriously peeling and the skin got sooo dry and flaky and it was almost worse than acne! So your saying I should actually rub it all over just like you would a moisuturizer or sumthing? How long do you leave it on? And what do you do about the extreme drying and flakyness of the skin? I used some moisutizer but it only worked for like half an hour until it dried. And I should use both the retin A and the Clindamycin each once a day? Like morning and night? And can you explain what a probiotic is? Is it like an antibacterial pill?

Thanks for your help