Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nessyliz

Baking soda and acne?

Hi! This is a really awesome website and community.

Anyway, I was wondering about baking soda and acne. I've always had mild to moderate acne, with occasional flare ups, (usually hormonal, time of the month), but recently my chin, and jawline were breaking out like crazy, along with a zit or two on my forehead. I had a small break out on my left cheek a couple of months ago, and it never really went away. Needless to say, this was all very frustrating. Of course, I did all the wrong things, like use St. Ives face scrub, pick at my acne, etc. Obviously THAT wasn't going to work, so I looked online for answers. I swtiched to Cetaphil cleanser (twice a day), and began using a baking soda mask mixed with Cetaphil for about thirty minutes a day. Currently, I can't afford anything else. I can barely afford my cleanser and moisturizer! Baking soda is cheap, so I gave it a try. I've been doing this for five days, and the difference is HUGE. My red marks are fading, my acne isn't inflamed anymore, my skin is brighter. For the first couple of days it was worse, because my clogged pores were surfacing, but now I can't believe the difference. I wish I had pics! But, I'm paranoid that the baking soda isn't good for my skin, or that it will eventually make my breakouts worse. This just seems too good to be true. I was wondering if anybody else has experimented with baking soda, and what their results were? Or if anybody has any info about this treatment, that would be great! Do you think the baking soda really is making the difference, or is it just switching to a less harsh cleanser? Or is it the mulitvitamin I recently started taking? I'm confused! Thanks. :)

It's highly possible that the exfoliative ability of the baking soda is really helping your skin, combined with the new cleanser. The only problem with baking soda is that it is very contrary to the skin's pH. In the long run, using baking soda will harm your skin's acidity and make your skin more prone to breakouts and dryness. The skin is usually between pH 4 - 6.5. Baking soda is 8-9 depending on the source of the information.

Apple Cider Vinegar has a pH of around 5, so it perfectly matches the skin's pH. It does have a bit of exfoliative ability, too, and will help with fading red marks. It also appears to have a slight anti-inflammatory effect to me. It sure is soothing if you store it in the refrigerator and apply it with a cotton ball. If you decide to use it, start out with a 50/50 dilution of apple cider vinegar and water to make sure your skin doesn't disagree with it.

If you really like the exfoliative ability of baking soda, you might try making a paste of Apple Cider Vinegar and baking soda and using that to gently exfoliate your skin and then do a final swipe with just the diluted apple cider vinegar.

Both ingredients are inexpensive and serve multiple purposes. You can add the ACV to a salad even! :D Or wash windows with it...etc. :D

Thanks Wynne. I'm going to get some ACV today. If I were to make a paste of ACV and baking soda, could I use that as a mask every day of the week? I am still using just the baking soda, and seeing good results, but it's only been a week, and I realize it is upsetting the ph of my skin. I went one day without using it, (yesterday), and I really thought my skin looked the worst it has all week. I don't want to give it up, because it is so cheap and currently effective, and I can't afford anything else at the moment. If I use the ACV as a toner, and use a mask made of ACV and baking soda, will that restore my skin to a proper ph level and prevent ph related breakouts? Should I add in a weekly aspirin mask after a month, or would that be overkill? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Can somebody help me? I'm reading about how great this baking soda is and stuff, but im not really sure on how to use it. Once making a baking soda and water paste, do I just use my fingers to put it on my face? Also, how long should it sit on your skin before washing it off?

Help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Can somebody help me? I'm reading about how great this baking soda is and stuff, but im not really sure on how to use it. Once making a baking soda and water paste, do I just use my fingers to put it on my face? Also, how long should it sit on your skin before washing it off?

This helped me soooo much!

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...=35135&st=0

Thanks, I think i might try it. Making all the masks and stuff is gonna be a pain though :(

Thanks, I think i might try it. Making all the masks and stuff is gonna be a pain though :(

It's not really. I keep an old mug in the bathroom with a box of baking soda and a spoon. Just mix it into a paste. Rub it on gently and wash it off. As far as the egg mask goes, I just use lemon juice in a bottle. I only put the egg mask on 3 times a week. Doing it everyday would be a pain in the butt.