Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cubsin2100

Accutane didn't "work" first time- worth trying again?

So I'm thinking about trying accutane for a second time...

I first took accutane when I was 17, almost exactly 2 years ago... I had done most treatments at the time (full spectrum of antibiotics, RAM, most BP products, ect. ect...). I saw this as my last ditch effort. Unfortunately, it definately didn't "cure" me, as in, I know my acne did not go completely away. I actually cannot remember all the way back to that time to know if it even did ANYTHING, it may have been ineffective, but I think I saw slight slight improvement. I do remember getting side-effects, as in my skin got very very dry. What I do remember is that acne did not dominate my life and thoughts back then as much as it does now, so maybe it was better?

But recently my acne has gotten worse and really began affecting my life. So I am thinking about trying it again... Here are my reasons for wanting to try again:

• I began taking it at the start of the summer during my first course. Unfortunately, I was taking it while working at a summer camp, and the medicine was exposed to +90 degree temperature. The pills got mushy even... so I am thinking perhaps the heat could have affected it, denatured the proteins maybe?
  • Also, I was taking generic version. Some derms have told me they had more success with the regular brand.
  • I'm very desperate to finally get rid of my acne. My face is very scarred and red, and lots of active acne. Its sometimes cystic, not as cysitic as it used to be before my first course, but I still get about a cyst at any given moments, sometimes some white heads... Its just I want to nick it in the butt, it is changin my life and hurting me so bad.

Why I am scared/ hesitant of taking it again:

• Around the accutane time, I did start to feel "blue". I think I was pretty down about myself and acne before I began. But sense around that time, I have always been somewhat down... For a while, I worried the accutane had a permanent impact on my emotions. But frankly, I know the correlation between feeling down and suffering from acne. I know that if I didnt have acne, I defiantely would not be feeling this bad. (Though I must say, I think the "sucide" link is not strong, who takes accutane? Acne sufferers. Who gets depressed? Acne sufferers. I saw a stat that about 10-100000 people in the US public commit suicide. The number in accutane users, something like.05- 100000)
  • It didn't seem to work the first time, so I am probably one of those who is just doesnt work for
  • Its not worth risking the scary side effects, especially the depression thing
  • I am about 6 or 7 weeks into the Obagi nuderm system and a new antibiotic (solodyn, minocycline), so perhaps my crap face is just a combo IB. But at the time, I am very desperate, as in I can't leave the house. I'd like to give these time to work their course, maybe they will work. But the thing is, I had been on the key ingredient in obagi, Retin-A-Micro, for 6 months before, and saw no improvement. So I am not hopeful.
  • My face is very scarred already, and lots of redmarks, and I know accutane doesn't help redmarks heal.

So what do you think? I have an appointment with a new derm on Monday, and my old derm in two weeks. If the new derm offers, I think right now Id go for the accutane... (I do it through my old derm, but I don't wanna wait that long! Also, she was never very good, Im not a fan).

Thanks guys, this is a big decision for me...

Are you using the Obagi Exoderm Forte product that contains glycolic acid and still not seeing much improvement?

It does sound like you might be at the initial breakout stage of a new treatment program. I would (personally) give it at least one and a half more months to see if you have improvement by the three month mark, unless you aren't using anything but the Retin A product. If you're not using the Exoderm Forte, it seems a pretty good product and might provide the extra ingredient that you're missing in the quest for clear skin.

Hope that helps a bit! :)

Yep, I am using the exfoderm forte, which does a nice job with exfoliation...

I know I SHOULD stick with it longer, but I feel like the system won't COMPLETELY clear me, no matter what. And since I can't even use BP to control some of these break outs, its making my face very bad and red, and its creating more and more scarring... so that kind why I wanna get on accutane (if I decide to do it), asap...

Thanks for the input though... any other thoughts?

Those are the same reasons i'm thinking about whether or not i should take tane. It's basically health vs beauty. Should someone risk the side effects for a clear face/back?.... That is one of the toughest decisions i have ever put myself into.

I'm guessing your 19 now, basically your acne should not get worse as you're getting older. If your acne is getting worse, then that's definitely not a good sign.

I'm 21, about to be 22 and my acne has reduced dramatically....i'd say it reduced by 90% since my teen years.

I have heard that acne 'dies down' at the age of 23 or 24, so you make the decision, if it's worth waiting for another few years and risk more scarring or just go for the tane now. tough tough tough.

and no, don't use BP, it destroyed my face.

Those are the same reasons i'm thinking about whether or not i should take tane. It's basically health vs beauty. Should someone risk the side effects for a clear face/back?.... That is one of the toughest decisions i have ever put myself into.

I'm guessing your 19 now, basically your acne should not get worse as you're getting older. If your acne is getting worse, then that's definitely not a good sign.

I'm 21, about to be 22 and my acne has reduced dramatically....i'd say it reduced by 90% since my teen years.

I have heard that acne 'dies down' at the age of 23 or 24, so you make the decision, if it's worth waiting for another few years and risk more scarring or just go for the tane now. tough tough tough.

and no, don't use BP, it destroyed my face.

I guess for me... its too the point where it isn't necessarily "health v. beauty"... right now, my acne is affecting my life so bad, its effecting my health. No, its not giving me a cold, but its affecting my mental health a great deal...

Things got worse today with my face, I think im gonna push hard for accutane

Now I am beginning to worry about the potential dissapointment I will face if it doesn't "work" again...

Ah, life sucks!