Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lil Chimp

Current Prescribed Treatment

Hello-

I started getting acne about two years ago. It wasn't severe but it was enough to make me self conscious about it. I used ProActiv and it really didn't do anything for me. Enough was enough and I decided to go to a docter and see if they had any advice for me. My doctor prescribed me Clindamycin Phosphate Topical Gel and Doxycycline. I am supposed to take one of the pills in the morning and at night, as well as put the Clindamycin on in the morning and at night. My face has gotten a little bit better. On a rare occasion I will have a whitehead but other than that I just have bumps more notably above my eye brows and underneath my eyes. I went back to see if I could get rid of this and the doctor then prescribed me TRetinoin and told me to apply it at night and wash it off in the morning and that I could if I wanted to apply the Clindamycin to my face in the morning. I haven't started using it because I am skeptical that if I starty using it, it will make my face a lot worse and I would rather stick with okay than make it any worse.

As far as taking the antibiotic, I have heard a lot of people say it doesn't work well if I take it after I have eaten but it was absolutely dominating my stomach if I had no food in there. If it is making a huge difference then I can just stomach it and I also have heard I should take plenty of water with it. Any ideas?

Has anyone else used it? If so did it work well for you? Also, do these products even seem like they fit well together. I don't personally think my doctor is the smartest person in the world but who knows.

Thank You!

Here's some good information on doxycycline. If it upsets your stomach, you can take it with food but it won't absorb as well.

Clindamycin phosphate topical is great for acne.

Tretinoin is also a great prescription product for acne.

I only used the clindamycin and tretinoin many years ago and that combo cleared me up completely.

ANY retinoid treatment will make your skin worse at first. That's just how it is. The clindamycin and doxycycline will likely make the breakout much more bearable.

I'd say go for the tretinoin, too, and also continue with the topical antibiotic (the clindamycin) and the oral antibiotic.

Here's some good information on doxycycline. If it upsets your stomach, you can take it with food but it won't absorb as well.

Clindamycin phosphate topical is great for acne.

Tretinoin is also a great prescription product for acne.

I only used the clindamycin and tretinoin many years ago and that combo cleared me up completely.

ANY retinoid treatment will make your skin worse at first. That's just how it is. The clindamycin and doxycycline will likely make the breakout much more bearable.

I'd say go for the tretinoin, too, and also continue with the topical antibiotic (the clindamycin) and the oral antibiotic.

Thank you. I think I am going to start it tonight. I'll take pictures beforehand and then I'll take a couple more in about two weeks. As far as the Clindamycin goes, do you recommend taking it just once in the morning, or at night as well? Also, do I wash my face before I put the Clindamycin on?

Thank you. I think I am going to start it tonight. I'll take pictures beforehand and then I'll take a couple more in about two weeks. As far as the Clindamycin goes, do you recommend taking it just once in the morning, or at night as well? Also, do I wash my face before I put the Clindamycin on?

Did the doctor say how often to apply the clindamycin? That's how often you should apply it. I don't remember how often I applied it. :) That was 15 years or so ago.

Yes, you should wash your face and let it dry completely before you put on the clindamycin.

She told me that if I wanted to I can apply it in the morning when she gave me the TRetinoin. I am assuming Clindamycin is a moisturizer? I am going to look it up right now.

She told me that if I wanted to I can apply it in the morning when she gave me the TRetinoin. I am assuming Clindamycin is a moisturizer? I am going to look it up right now.

It is a topical antibiotic. It kills the bacteria that cause the inflamed acne breakouts.

Oh. Okay. Do you suggest that I use anything else to wash my face and moisturize it with? Also any idea on what I can use for sun block considering I live in Southern California.