Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CDBeauty

Glycolic Acid

I want to explain glycolic acid a little bit. I am a licensed estheician, and I LOVE it. However, it is very easy to misuse it.

On a lot of people, glycolic acid is very irritating. Even if you have oily, acne-prone skin. If you use it incorrectly, you can do serious or irreversable damage.

Initially, you should never start using glycolic every day. I know how it is. Your skin is so bad that you just want the acne gone, and you're willing to do whatever it takes to get rid of it. But keep this in mind..glycolic is an ACID. ACID CAN DAMAGE THE EPIDERMIS!!!! You shold always follow it by the directions.

****if you burned your hand on the stove, would you say, "wow, that hurt. I'm all red. I think I'll put my hand back on the hot stove tomorrow and see if I get different results."???

Of course not! This is the same. A burn is a burn, and red skin is telling you something is wrong!*********

A solution of 10% glycolic can be just as effective as a 40%. It really depends on if it is buffered or not. If you are using non-buffered acid, it will burn and cause redness. This is not good. If it is buffered (which is done so it won't irritate the skin), you can use a higher percentage, and it won't burn the skin. A major buffering ingredient is ammonium glycolate.

Again, when first using it, you should use it every other day for a week. This will get your skin accostomed to it. Then, use it once a day. Then, if you can tolerate it, twice a day.

I had a friend who thought that if it worked good using it once a day, he would use it three times a day. He literally burned his skin. It looked like he had a bad sunburn, and it did not get better for MONTHS. He learned his lesson.

Just please be careful!!!!! Remember, it takes time to clear up acne. You have to be patient and dilligent. You may not see results immediately, and probably won't. But keep on it, and it will improve.......

Guest The Effendi

So, where can you find this stuff, and how much does it cost?

Yep. :D Mine I used every three days at first. It is a 10% glycolic product. Then every two days. Then every day. Now it is every one to two days. I love the stuff. ;)

You can find glycolic acid, salicylic acid, TCA, etc. at Platinum Skincare . They have almost every skincare treatment under the sun and also detailed instructions on their use.

cdrum gives good advice, above. I'd also like to add that AHA (glycolic) along with BHA (salicylic acid) can also produce better results than one type of acid alone. If all else fails, have a few professional chemical peels done (or a "lunch time peel" to start). Then maintain the results (between and after the chemical peels) with the lower level AHA/BHA's and manual exfoliation. I strongly believe exfoliation (chemical and/or physical) is one important factor in dealing with acne. Lastly, give your skin a break from the AHA/BHA once in a while because your skin can become accustomed to them. When you return to using them, you will notice how much more effective they will be.

Erm Im currently using 8% AHA. My doc told me to apply it twice a day. Issit normal?

Also, when Im applying the AHA, there are like some dirt or something when i rub it, even tho I've washed my face. When this happens wat shd i do, rinse my face or just leave it there?

Erm Im currently using 8% AHA. My doc told me to apply it twice a day. Issit normal?

Also, when Im applying the AHA, there are like some dirt or something when i rub it, even tho I've washed my face. When this happens wat shd i do, rinse my face or just leave it there?

My skin must be really strong with this kind of stuff. Ive NEVER had any isues with BP like most, maybe just a little extra drying the 1st few weeks, AND..

With AHA I was careful and spot treated it, no burning. I started using it one time everyday right off the bat, never stung, never got red, and now I use it morning and night.

10% by the way