Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
willow569

Had small cyst extracted today

So, I have had this single, smallish cyst on my jawline for the last 2 months - really the only active spot I've had recently. I almost never get cysts, but this one just wouldn't go away. My esthetician extracted part of it a few weeks ago, but she didn't think she got all of the core out. The spot kept retreating and then reemerging.

I was at my new derm's office in San Francisco - got a skin cancer screening done and the doctor also extracted the problem cyst. It took quite a few shots to numb the spot (I must be really sensitive), he extracted it and I think put a bit of cortisone on it to reduce swelling (the spot was numb, so I don't know if it was actually a cortisone injection or not). I just had it done a few hours ago, so its still sore and a little swollen. He said that it would not scar at all. He also gave me a sample of Finacea to try - said to ask my esthetician if it would work with the regimen I am currently on. I'm kind of hestitant, but I'm going to ask Laura what she thinks tomorrow.

And if anyone is looking for a good derm in SF, I can now recommend one! He was very good, personable, and his rates seem reasonable (it was $150 for the skin check and the extraction). He is actually the derm who does that skincinema website, if you have seen that (the one that talks about all the celebs who have skin problems).

I'm glad you got that problem spot taken care of for once and all and the derm seemed good! :)

Yeah, it just didn't seem like it was going to go away on its own (at least not anytime soon!). The spot on my chin is still a bit swollen this morning, but the swelling isn't terribly visible. The spot is getting a little scabby and its still pretty red in the middle, but I slathered on some concealer and mineral makeup, so it doesn't look too bad. Surprisingly, it still feels a tad numb this morning, the skin around it has an odd spongy feel - when I press around the area, I can't really feel it very much. Im just glad there is no longer a lump on my jawline!

Don't be surprised or horrified if that spot stays numb for a while. Jaws/chin can be rude about that type of thing. Give it a few days and it should get back to normal. Did he say how to treat it in the meantime? Antibiotic or any special compresses or what? I'm just curious. :)

Don't be surprised or horrified if that spot stays numb for a while. Jaws/chin can be rude about that type of thing. Give it a few days and it should get back to normal. Did he say how to treat it in the meantime? Antibiotic or any special compresses or what? I'm just curious. :)

So, the extracted cyst is healing nicely. There is still some residual hardness underneath the skin's surface, but there is no visible bump and the redness has gone down a lot.