Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ryan1411

Is there anything in a bodybuilder's diet that is bad for acne?

I have two goals I want to acheive...both at the same time. One is getting rid of my acne and the other is gaining muscle mass. However...I don't think they go well together.

My diet includes:

Plenty of dairy products...milk/cheese/eggs

Plenty of meat...chicken and pork

Plenty of pasta...whole wheat pasta

Veggies and fruits...green veggies and some pears and apples

That is basically what my diet consists of.

Is that going to worsen my acne?

most people on this board will label the dairy, meat, grains as acne-promoting

which also happen to be your main sources of calories

and then someone will come along to say fruits spike your insulin too much

and then someone else will come along and say any legumes/lentils give you indigestion

I have two goals I want to acheive...both at the same time. One is getting rid of my acne and the other is gaining muscle mass. However...I don't think they go well together.

My diet includes:

My diet includes:

Pasta = HORRIBLE, especially if you put tomato sauce on it

Why? I suffer from rosacea (which I'm keeping under control) and eat tomatoes and eggplants without ill effects. Tomato sauce with cold pressed EVO and fresh basil is like heaven :)

Pasta = HORRIBLE, especially if you put tomato sauce on it

Why? I suffer from rosacea (which I'm keeping under control) and eat tomatoes and eggplants without ill effects. Tomato sauce with cold pressed EVO and fresh basil is like heaven :)

im exact same as u man, i was bodybuilding for about 1 year until my acne got real bad so i stopped. there are many reasons bodybuilding and acne dont go well together.

1. protein- excess protein(which u need if u want to get bigger) is very hard to digest, and can lead to constipation which will cause acne to greatly worsen. this includes things like: dairy products, red meat, and whey protein.

2. calories- u will need more calories if u want to build more mass. an increase in your calorie intake will increase testosterone which will increase acne.

3. stress- while excersize is proven to remove stress, the type of excise bodybuilders do does the opposite, it forces the body to change which increases stress which will also increase acne.

so guess ull have to choose-- face or body

hope that helps

for those whose acne is tied to insulin resistance, weightlifting can be quite beneficial as it effectively increases insulin sensitivity.

avoiding excess red meat and especially dairy would be key. A high quality whey isolate shouldnt mess you up.

Personally, I think a competitive bodybuilder's diet will screw a little with just about anyone. Things like weight gainers (and all the junk they contain), casein and forced insulin spikes (post workout carbs/sugar) are usually not very good for acne prone individuals. Not to mention the juice.

That said, you can gain lean muscle mass without any of the above. Like Danny said, increase your caloric intake a little, eat enough good protein (chicken, eggs, whey protein isolate) and otherwise strive for a healthy lifestyle.

It's not easy to gain muscle without the above though. Especially without lot's of insulin. Isolate protein isn't bad. It's not that hard to digest either.

In an active individual that lifts properly(Compound exercises), the insulin post workout/post cardio will be overwhelmingly accepted by the body.

It's not easy to gain muscle without the above though. Especially without lot's of insulin. Isolate protein isn't bad. It's not that hard to digest either.

In an active individual that lifts properly(Compound exercises), the insulin post workout/post cardio will be overwhelmingly accepted by the body.

The post workout is the best moment for someone suffering for acne.

Post workout we're all magically super insulin sensitive and super glucose tolerant, that means that we could even eat sucrose from the pocket and suffer no ill effect.

Post workout we're all magically super insulin sensitive and super glucose tolerant, that means that we could even eat sucrose from the pocket and suffer no ill effect.

Are you saying after a work out...an acne phrone person could hammer junk food like cookies (not over board like 1 or 2 medium) without a problem? Ive always found a problem with carbs and insulin..even with chromium. So I kinda avoid all carbs period other then now and again to help drive amino acids into the muscles. Also Insulin is a bad aging sucka and I hate it.

skimmed a few of the posts above, and here is all i have to say:

white meat chicken for the win.

yes i have always thought like that as well when it comes to fueling resistance training

but then i look at diets like the paleo diet (or something a little less restrictive) and wonder how efficient the body would be at converting protein/fat ingestion into the muscle glycogen you need

today is ur lucky day because we share the same EXACT GOALS. I eat mainly tons of dark meat turkey and chicken every day such as thighs, wings, legs and ground dark meat to make turkey or chicken burgers. I eat plenty of cocnut oil and gheee for xtra calories also. a tablespoon of each is like 150 calories. I also eat a lot of low starch veggies. I to have a serious problem carbs. I only tolerate like 1/4 cup or less low starch carbs per meal to feel my best. The only time I benefit from fruits is right after a workout. Lifting causes hypoglycemia but i use coconut oil before and after a workout to controll that and i always eat after working out. If u want a anti acne and lifting friendly plan, look for my final cure acne plan.

Also i learned that when i dont have sex or masturbate not only is my skin perfect but im stronger when I lift. When i abstain from sex I can sometimes increase my rep weight 10 pounds in like 7 days its crazy what can happen if u eat right, sleep right, and not have sex u get stronger way faster. Everytime I have sex i do leess reps on the bench press.