Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello everyone!

I'm 26, n I would characterise my acne as moderate. I've been suffering from acne, on and off since I was 23. Every summer it would disappear (swimming in the sea n tanning seemed to help temporarily), but then every sept the past 2 years it would come back.

This is the first time I'm on oral meds to combat my acne. The derm prescribed me 150mg's of minocycline for the first month of the treatement (i finish this course this week) n then 100 mg's per day for the following 50 days, till the end of August. Also, I'm using a topical with 0.05% isotretinoin every night. I faced an IB during the second week, but then my skin condition improved a lot. Colleagues would tell me how my skin looks much much better n stuff. i started feeling much better too, cause, needless to mention, as many of you here i get quite obsessed and stressed over my skin condition. ( i think the way you feel does reflect on your skin).

My problem is that in order to carry on with this regimen, i need to keep clear from the sun. This is impossible, as I'm off on holidays for a week starting sunday, n being under then sun almost all day long will be inevitable. I live in a country that gets really high temps during the summer. plus, my job involves travelling n spending 2 days per week outdoors with clients. Now that I'm writing this, I am quite flared up case I've just come back from a business trip where I had to spend the whole day under the sun. Even though I used really good sunscreen with SPF 40 n re-aplied often, my skin got very irritated, n I got 3 active zits in like 3 hours of being exposed in the sun. To make things worse, the lady that was working at the cosmetics section of the duty free on my way back told me that I got lots of pimples!!!!!! How rude!!!! I felt like apologising to a total stranger for the state of my skin!!! Don't get me wrong, but comments like that do affect me right now, although they shouldn't! I'm really fragile right now.

To sum things up, I'm almost 100% decided to stop the mino tommorrow, as I'm leaving for holidays in 3 days n dont want any strange flare-ups and irritations then. At least I'll know that if my acne deteriorates during my vacation time, it ll be the effect of not taking the mino rather than sun sensitivity caused by the topical n the antibiotics.

MY question is the following: do you think that having a break off Minocycline for a week, n then starting up again will cancel all the previous effort of being on Mino for a month? Will my skin condition deteriorate? Also, if i start again in a week's time, will I start from scratch n experience an IB again?

I'm also taking certain supplements (brewer's yeast, multivits w probiotics n VIT A 25000 IU + Vit E) which I'm thinking of carrying on with during my holidays. -besides the Vit A+E, which also causes photosensitivity.

Any personal experiences/advice on the above would be greately appreciated!!Thanks tons!!!! :P

I'm kinda tired, so I just kinda skimmed. (Don't ask me why I'm still on any kind of forum at this point.)

But, if you abruptly stop an antibiotic, it may not work again, because the bacteria become resistant to it. I don't know if a week is long enough to cause this to happen. I wouldn't chance it, but I'm also a little brainwashed about med compliance in general.

Also, I believe the sun sensitivity caused by topicals/antibiotics is mostly a greater propensity for burning. I think in some it may cause a rash, but burning is the big deal. If you wear sunscreen religiously on your vacation, being on mino and retin-a (?) shouldn't be a big deal. Unless you're trying to tan . . . then I've got nothin'.

Sorry if I missed something or said something stupid because I'm still typing despite not being able to read.

ooops, I just realised that the above post turned out longer than intended....

so, turbosquab, you think that mino combined with sun exposure can cause sunburns more than it can cause flare-ups n acne? I dont know what to do... fact is that I do want to tan a bit too. My derm told me that sunbathing is prohibited while being on mino, but I still can go to the beach n swim in the sea, just not stay under the sun at all with or without sunscreen....

Yes, I believe mino is more likely to make you burn in the sun than breakout in the sun. But, you don't seem to have been on it all that long, so you might still be prone to flares "naturally". That might make you breakout, coincidentally, at the same time as the sun exposure, too . . .

I'm not gonna promote tanning, but just keep in mind you'll burn faster with mino. On the upside, you'll probably tan faster, too.

Also, sun sensitivity is just a side-effect for some people. Meds don't get approved unless the vast majority of the population won't experience any side-effects and the side-effects some people do experience are extremely mild. People tend to report negative experiences, while people with positive experiences go along their merry way.

---

Okay, I wanted to find you an official number on exactly what percentage of people experience sunburns, rashes, and breakouts, but Minocin's PI Sheet (official pharmaceutical company info on a brand name of minocycline) doesn't give hard numbers.

PI sheet: http://www.wyeth.com/content/ShowLabeling.asp?id=401

Excerpt on photosensitivity:

"Photosensitivity manifested by an exaggerated sunburn reaction has been observed in some individuals taking tetracyclines. Patients apt to be exposed to direct sunlight or ultraviolet light should be advised that this reaction can occur with tetracycline drugs, and treatment should be discontinued at the first evidence of skin erythema. This reaction has been reported with use of minocycline."

If you read the "Adverse Reactions" section do not freak. They're required to list every single side-effect, no matter how rare. The incidence of the side-effect decreases as you go down the list. It also says these are the side-effects reported for patients taking any kind of tetracycline, so some of them might apply only to, say, tetracycline or doxycycline, and not minocycline at all.

Me skimming again, but, did you know it treats plague (the Yersinia pestis, kind, evidently)? I feel safe, now, knowing I've got a bottle of that around the house.

It seems to be the drug of choice for chlamydia, too . . . Handy.

And some of those old-school diseases . . .

wow, thanks for all this info. i ll consider taking like 50 mg's while on holiday, instead of 150... after all it might be the isotrexin gel (0.05% isotretinoin) that has caused all these flare ups n rashes while under the sun... treats chlamidia, eh? now we don't have to worry anymore! :P

Oh yeah, I forgot you were on that. With all the purging, probably, and even more sun sensitivity, and confusion, it sounds like your skin is going to have a real blast on this vacation . . . :)

Well, I used to take minocycline steady for a year. Then i went to florida for a week and decided not to take it so i wouldn't get burned. Let me tell you, bad idea. About a week after i got home my face broke out to its original state before i even started taking the minocycline and never went back to normal. Now i'm going on accutane. I don't think that will happen to you but i'm just telling you what happened to me just in case so it doesnt happen to you. Just try Neutrogena Ultra Sheerâ„¢ Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 70, it works.(its non-comedogenic (won't clog pores))

-Hope this helps and good luck with all your acne treatments.

Honestly, don't worry about the sun. I live in Hawaii during the school year and was on minocycline 5 months while out there. I go to the beach every weekend and am in the sun A LOT. The only difference was I just had to make sure I wore some sunscreen on the sensitive areas of my face.

hi guys!

thanks heaps for your replies. i've come back from my holidays n just felt the need to report back here. I stopped my treatement of 150mg of Mino and the gel 2 days b4 being exposed to the sun. First day at the beach, as soon as i got out of the sea my whole face BURNED a lot, n turns out i was all red n had a major break-out. i was in the shade for the rest of the holiday, n eventually it all cooled down.

i decided to stop the whole treatement n just take supplements now n then, till september. (i got more holidays lined up Aug-Sept).

Current condition: much less active acne- almost none-, but lots of scarring, especially on my chin. i think that was caused by the isotretinoin gel use, which is very strong, n the sun exposure. All this scarring happened during my holiday week. I'm so desperate now, as I had no scars before.... I now have destroyed my chin completely :(

dont think it was the mino along with sun exposure that caused this though. It was rather the Isotretinoin 0,05% gel.

All in all, a pretty frustrating holiday! Hope I won't remember it forever due to the scarring! scary!!