Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ZMA causes acne. This seems to pretty much be an undeniable unanimous agreement within the bodybuilding world.

ZMA contains Zinc, Magnesium and vitamin B6.

Now that either means one or more of those components aggravates acne..or.. that all of them combined together are bad for acne.

I'm pretty sure it is the first one as ZMA is only a mixture not a compound.

Now we've heard numerous times that zinc is good for acne and their are pubmed studies concluding this.

B6 is kinda ambiguous in that most places say it is good (including pubmed) but some articles throw it in with vitamin B12 and say it is bad for acne.

Now i know that b12 definitely is bad for acne as most people who get b12 injections suffer acne afterwards.

So maybe it is merely a misunderstanding with vitamin b6. From what i've researched of it myself i think it should help acne not worsen it.

This leaves us with magnesium.

Magnesium however is supposed to improve insulin sensitivity which could only be good for acne.. However perhaps it works in another mechanism aswell which worsens acne.

All i want to know is if anyone has ever taken magnesium or if they know of any of the results of others that have taken magnesium.

Also: any views on whether it is good or bad?

I believe that masturbating alot can exacerbate an already present acne condition.

I have read that seminal fluid contains in large quantities, and therefore can cause deficiencies in, the following substances: Omega 3's zinc and vitamin B6.

That is why i'm thinking supplementation of those could help acne.

I'm gonna gather some more info and probably decide to start B6 up again but this time without the B-complex. As i've heard of biotin being bad and i know that the b12 is bad.

I was taking a magnesium supplement for a while, but supplementing at a much lower dose 80mg per day and eating some whole foods that are high in magnesium (sunflower seeds, bananas etc), and i was also taking calcium with it. Heres an article i grabbed a while ago and seems no longer to be there. Btw, i was taking it to improve my digestion (along with zinc in a multivitamin).

How best to absorb Mangesium Supplements

Introduction

Magnesium is needed for hundreds of your body's basic functions, including regulating your heart and blood pressure and helping to metabolize sugar and fats. It also helps your nervous system and combats such problems as insomnia and anxiety.

Instructions

Difficulty: Moderately Easy

Steps

Step One

Take the chelated form of magnesium, such as magnesium citrate, glycinate or malate. This form is absorbed best by your body.

Step Two

Combine magnesium with calcium. The easiest way is to take a balanced formula of one part magnesium to two parts calcium.

Step Three

Take vitamin C at the same time. It helps make magnesium more biologically available to your body.

Step Four

Bathe in magnesium sulfate, better known as Epsom salts. The mineral can be absorbed through your skin.

Step Five

Reduce or eliminate your consumption of soft drinks. Their high level of phosphates causes magnesium to be depleted from your body.

Step Six

Lower your fat intake. A high fat intake will also cause magnesium to be depleted from your body.

Step Seven

Watch your intake of vitamin D. High doses will cause magnesium to be leached from your body.

Step Eight

Decrease or eliminate alcohol use. It can lead to magnesium loss.

Step Nine

Check your prescription drugs. Diuretics, digitalis, tetracycline and corticoids are some of the medications that can lead to magnesium loss.

Step Ten

Watch your intake of foods high in oxalic acid. These include almonds, chard, cocoa, rhubarb and spinach. They can cause reduced magnesium absorption.

Step Eleven

Decrease or eliminate your intake of animal proteins. High amounts can lead to reduced magnesium absorption.

Tips & Warnings

* Foods high in magnesium include brown rice, fish, bananas, tofu, blackstrap molasses, seafood and avocados.

* The recommended dosage of magnesium is 350 to 750 mg per day.

* Vitamin B-6 increases the amount of magnesium that can be absorbed by cells. High doses of B-6 can be harmful, however.

* If you are taking prescription medicine, consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking supplements.

* Taking more than 750mg of magnesium per day can cause side effects such as diarrhea and drowsiness.

* Discuss magnesium supplementation with your doctor first if you have any type of kidney disease.

* Avoid taking large amounts of laxatives or antacids that contain magnesium.

Member Comments

by kourosh Bagheri on 11/22/2005

From a doctor... - Don't take calcium and magnesium supplements with food. Oxalate, phosphorous and sulfate in food will bind these elements, forming salts that can not be absorbed and are excreted in stool. Wait at least one and preferably two hours after meals before taking these.

Interesting, thanks....

it just seems so wierd that ZMA causes acne. It seems that every component should be beneficialAND work together synergistically for greater total effect.

This is fubar

From a doctor... - Don't take calcium and magnesium supplements with food. Oxalate, phosphorous and sulfate in food will bind these elements, forming salts that can not be absorbed and are excreted in stool. Wait at least one and preferably two hours after meals before taking these.

VERY POOR ADVICE from a doctor, who should know better! :naughty:

It's well-known that certain forms of magnesium (magnesium oxide is a good example) are poorly-soluble and won't be absorbed unless they're taken with a meal, which stimulates enough acid to help the magnesium. So in general, it's a good idea to take magnesium supplements WITH MEALS.