Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
soul78

1 month complete on 20mg/daily

Just completed my first month of 20mg/daily. Fighting a 10+ year battle of mild/moderate acne (tried everything prior to Accutane). Still breaking out, does not seem to be as bad, but not clear yet.

pros:

-forehead and nose are silky smooth - haven't had skin like this since I was 10 years old. Now just need the cheeks to follow in their footsteps :surprised:

-only need to wash hair, once per week now. No thinning that I have noticed.

-less oil overall

-most blackheads are gone - again haven't been blackhead free on my nose since I was about 10 years old.

cons:

-dry skin (need to moisturize 2-3 times per day).

-dry eyes (started using artificial tears).

-skin was really red and itchy for first 2 weeks but now it is much better in that aspect.

-decrease in appetite (skip lunches or just have a snack, otherwise I feel ill if I eat a lot).

Went to Derm yesterday and he is keeping me at 20mg/daily so I suppose he thinks it is doing ok so far.

Will update again in 1 month.

Just completed my first month of 20mg/daily. Fighting a 10+ year battle of mild/moderate acne (tried everything prior to Accutane). Still breaking out, does not seem to be as bad, but not clear yet.

pros:

-forehead and nose are silky smooth - haven't had skin like this since I was 10 years old. Now just need the cheeks to follow in their footsteps :surprised:

-less oil overall

-most blackheads are gone - again haven't been blackhead free on my nose since I was about 10 years old.

cons:

-skin was really red and itchy for first 2 weeks but now it is much better in that aspect.

-decrease in appetite (skip lunches or just have a snack, otherwise I feel ill if I eat a lot).

Went to Derm yesterday and he is keeping me at 20mg/daily so I suppose he thinks it is doing ok so far.

for how long will you be on accuatne for? because i may have to go on a low dose like you because my liver enzymes are so sensitive on even just 40mg a day..but i still want to reach the required overall dose of 120mg.

hello,

i'm gonna start on 20mg a day soon as well.

are the side effects really that bad on a low dose?

tim

hello,

tim

Nah...my derm was surprised at how sensitive I am to the med. I am not the norm. He said most don't usually get much sides on 20mg/day. He said the only pro is that at least we know it is doing what its suppose to.

BTW, I have low tolerance for meds, ie. a regular benadryl or claritin will knock me right out to sleep.

hello,

tim

i heard the side effects are much less with a lower dose, anyway how severe is your acne and how long will you be on tane for?

pros:

-less oil overall

cons:

for how long will you be on accuatne for? because i may have to go on a low dose like you because my liver enzymes are so sensitive on even just 40mg a day..but i still want to reach the required overall dose of 120mg.

Initially he said a few months, meaning 3-4 I suppose. Although, I think he was planning on bumping up my dose after 1 month initially. He said to start out at 10-20mg per day and see how it goes. So I am at 20mg per day after 1 month and he said he wants to keep it there for now.

I think it would be about 6 months to reach the cumulative dose on 20mg/daily.